Buffon says..

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Buffon says..

Postby CityFanFromRome » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:50 am

It's not nice to hear such things about the club you support...but I reckon he's right. Kolo is not one of the top CBs in the world anymore and Boateng has the potential but is not there yet, Lescott would be good back-up in a top team but not more, same goes for Micah and Kompany. Kolarov is very, very good going forward and has a mean shot, but is not completely reliable when defending. At right back we have the biggest problems imho.

The problem is that the very top CBs are ageing. Cannavaro, Terry, Carvalho, Nesta are all way over 30 years old. Puyol is too, just like Lucio and Samuel from Inter, so I don't really see who we could have bought there. Actually, I have a name, Juan. Watching Roma every week I can assure you he's really one of the best in the world, his anticipation is phenomenal, not for nothing he partners Lucio in the Brazil national side. Sadly he's 30 too.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:56 am

CityFanFromRome wrote:It's not nice to hear such things about the club you support...but I reckon he's right. Kolo is not one of the top CBs in the world anymore and Boateng has the potential but is not there yet, Lescott would be good back-up in a top team but not more, same goes for Micah and Kompany. Kolarov is very, very good going forward and has a mean shot, but is not completely reliable when defending. At right back we have the biggest problems imho.

The problem is that the very top CBs are ageing. Cannavaro, Terry, Carvalho, Nesta are all way over 30 years old. Puyol is too, just like Lucio and Samuel from Inter, so I don't really see who we could have bought there. Actually, I have a name, Juan. Watching Roma every week I can assure you he's really one of the best in the world, his anticipation is phenomenal, not for nothing he partners Lucio in the Brazil national side. Sadly he's 30 too.

Haven't watched Juan closely but Lucio is the only CB that's impressed me in recent years. The rest all have weaknesses which regularly get exploited. The complete inability of Italian defences to cope with Fulham highlighted the dangers faced by Prem Lg defenders, you face many different varied challenges that you don't neccessarily face in other leagues.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Fidel Castro » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:09 am

Who gives a fuck what the wannabe Hitler thinks? And how the fuck does he manage to mention Juve in the same sentence as Madrid, Barca and scum ? Juve are shit and have been for a few years now. Stop living in the past & retire you nazi cunt!
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby dikdik » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:14 am

Buffoon who?
dikdik
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:19 am

He's probably right.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby ant london » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:26 am

There's a certain element of validity in his comments but what cannot be ignored is the fact that some of the greatest defences and defenders have only really been recognised as such after a consistent and extended period of time playing together.

Arsenal's great back four.....four individually brilliant defenders? I would say not. But an exceptionally stingy defence with a great goalkeeper (at that time) behind them.

My view is that we have two goalkeepers who are good enough and we have plenty of defenders who would emerge to be viewed as pretty great players. What we have to do is keep a reasonably consistent unit of defenders fit and give them gametime to try to become a proper unit
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Colin the King » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:29 am

To extend on that Ant, look around the Premier League and its various defences- there is not one side that has five top quality defensive players. With Chelsea and the rags, there's a mixture of a fear factor, where teams purposely try and stop them playing, and the fact that they have such brilliant midfielders and attackers who can retain the ball and keep the pressure off the defenders. You can see with us at both the Bridge and the swamp, Villa at the swamp, or Everton at home to the rags, that when a team decides to take the initiative (which sadly is a rare occurance) they can be exploited.

On the other extreme, look at Stoke, Fulham or Birmingham's defence from last season. A collection of average, limited players but with a completely determined attitude and a manager who's binded them into a cohesive unit, and who have the benefit of playing behind a bank of four players with equal amounts of grit and team ethic.

Look at Buffon's examples of the very best defenders- this sounds ridiculous but Alves, Puyol, Pique and Abidal at Barcelona for example have loads of weaknesses waiting to be exploited. The key is that they play for this great, illustrious team that everyone's afraid of, so teams visiting them have a 'damaged limitation' mindset. And then, with the likes of Xavi and Iniesta constantly pushing the play forward, the chances of actually being exposed are low. But again, on rare occasions, it happens.

The deficiencies in defences become so much more obvious when that back four has no protection. City, early last season, are a perfect example. Barry and Ireland swanning around making elaborate 40 yard passes, whilst leaving acres of space exposed. And because City hadn't yet built up that 'fear factor' that Chelsea, Barcelona, the rags or Real Madrid enjoy, teams faced us and were willing to have a go. The result; Burnley, Fulham, Hull and Sunderland coming to Eastlands and attacking and scoring for fun. Is it the fault of the defenders, or should the responsibilities be attributed to everyone?

I don't think there's been a truly great back four in ten years. There are a couple of great individuals around- Lucio and Vidic probably being pick of the bunch- but some of the most lauded defenders/defences are utterly crap when put up to the test. Lahm, Clichy, Ferdinand, Evra, Ramos- they all flatter to deceive with nice passing and attacking forays that disguise their weaknesses as defenders. Which is what they're paid to be.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:13 am

Colin the King wrote:To extend on that Ant, look around the Premier League and its various defences- there is not one side that has five top quality defensive players. With Chelsea and the rags, there's a mixture of a fear factor, where teams purposely try and stop them playing, and the fact that they have such brilliant midfielders and attackers who can retain the ball and keep the pressure off the defenders. You can see with us at both the Bridge and the swamp, Villa at the swamp, or Everton at home to the rags, that when a team decides to take the initiative (which sadly is a rare occurance) they can be exploited.

On the other extreme, look at Stoke, Fulham or Birmingham's defence from last season. A collection of average, limited players but with a completely determined attitude and a manager who's binded them into a cohesive unit, and who have the benefit of playing behind a bank of four players with equal amounts of grit and team ethic.

Look at Buffon's examples of the very best defenders- this sounds ridiculous but Alves, Puyol, Pique and Abidal at Barcelona for example have loads of weaknesses waiting to be exploited. The key is that they play for this great, illustrious team that everyone's afraid of, so teams visiting them have a 'damaged limitation' mindset. And then, with the likes of Xavi and Iniesta constantly pushing the play forward, the chances of actually being exposed are low. But again, on rare occasions, it happens.

The deficiencies in defences become so much more obvious when that back four has no protection. City, early last season, are a perfect example. Barry and Ireland swanning around making elaborate 40 yard passes, whilst leaving acres of space exposed. And because City hadn't yet built up that 'fear factor' that Chelsea, Barcelona, the rags or Real Madrid enjoy, teams faced us and were willing to have a go. The result; Burnley, Fulham, Hull and Sunderland coming to Eastlands and attacking and scoring for fun. Is it the fault of the defenders, or should the responsibilities be attributed to everyone?

I don't think there's been a truly great back four in ten years. There are a couple of great individuals around- Lucio and Vidic probably being pick of the bunch- but some of the most lauded defenders/defences are utterly crap when put up to the test. Lahm, Clichy, Ferdinand, Evra, Ramos- they all flatter to deceive with nice passing and attacking forays that disguise their weaknesses as defenders. Which is what they're paid to be.

Man, you are like Maradona of football opinions. Inch perfect delivery and always on the target.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:59 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Colin the King wrote:To extend on that Ant, look around the Premier League and its various defences- there is not one side that has five top quality defensive players. With Chelsea and the rags, there's a mixture of a fear factor, where teams purposely try and stop them playing, and the fact that they have such brilliant midfielders and attackers who can retain the ball and keep the pressure off the defenders. You can see with us at both the Bridge and the swamp, Villa at the swamp, or Everton at home to the rags, that when a team decides to take the initiative (which sadly is a rare occurance) they can be exploited.

Man, you are like Maradona of football opinions. Inch perfect delivery and always on the target.

The rags' fear factor even helps Vidic look better than he is imo. Andy Carrol making a complete mug of him at OT, selling him a dummy & leaving him chasing fresh air, then nipping in for a free header from 5 yards out...& missing... being a prime example. Mistakes by rag defenders are imo punished about 50% less than most other clubs defenders, in fact I recon someone misses a sitter v Utd in EVERY game. We're 2 games into this season & it's already happened in both.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Fidel Castro » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:33 am

Ted Hughes wrote:

The rags' fear factor even helps Vidic look better than he is imo. Andy Carrol making a complete mug of him at OT, selling him a dummy & leaving him chasing fresh air, then nipping in for a free header from 5 yards out...& missing... being a prime example. Mistakes by rag defenders are imo punished about 50% less than most other clubs defenders, in fact I recon someone misses a sitter v Utd in EVERY game. We're 2 games into this season & it's already happened in both.

Both Vidic and Evans were made to look incredibly shit by Bobby fuclin Zamora yesterday. Shame Dembele didn't start cos he would've raped them
Fidel Castro

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:48 am

Fidel Castro wrote:Who gives a fuck what the wannabe Hitler thinks? And how the fuck does he manage to mention Juve in the same sentence as Madrid, Barca and scum ? Juve are shit and have been for a few years now. Stop living in the past & retire you nazi cunt!

Spot on there, seems someone is riddled with bitterness, and particularly fucked off that the new kid on the block (Hart) looks to have scuppered any possibility of him getting his big payday.

Aside from that, perhaps he could point to his glittering trophy cabinet from the last 3/4 years, to show us what Juve have won with the supposed top class defenders they have?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby john@staustell » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:51 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Both Vidic and Evans were made to look incredibly shit by Bobby fuclin Zamora yesterday. Shame Dembele didn't start cos he would've raped them

I thought the same. In fact they were cut open with sweet regularity but Fulham didn't do too much in the last 25 yards.

It occurred to me that another Manchester team got a point in London - against a good team - after being under the cosh, and the media thought we'd had it for top four.

Wonder if the same applies to a team drawing at a poor London side? Are they 'not a team'? No chance of top 4 perhaps?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum