Academy vs Arsenal

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Academy vs Arsenal

Postby john@staustell » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:22 am

We cant possibly have a good academy when I heard officially that we are ruining football. Shining examples are Arsenal (all foreign, debateable quality) and Liverpool - not one has made the first team since Gerard!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:25 am

john@staustell wrote:We cant possibly have a good academy when I heard officially that we are ruining football. Shining examples are Arsenal (all foreign, debateable quality) and Liverpool - not one has made the first team since Gerard!

I think the next phase of Platini type behaviour will be to introduce rules to stop us when they realise, in a few years time, that most of the best young players around are owned or optioned by City.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby stockportblue » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:40 am

Slightly off topic Uwe Rosler was at Platt Lane yesterday watching the under 16 game.
stockportblue
Danny Mills' Wages

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: stephen ireland

Postby ant london » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:25 am

stockportblue wrote:Slightly off topic Uwe Rosler was at Platt Lane yesterday watching the under 16 game.

Hmmmm, dunno mate, I'd say that was pretty "on topic" for this thread.....how did he look (health-wise)?

Back the Arsenal game, however, how did Henshall look?

Also....what does this Harry Bunn kid look like....he has a name like he comes from the 1950's and I imagine him in Roy of The Rovers style kit every time I hear mention of him
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:52 am

stockportblue wrote:Slightly off topic Uwe Rosler was at Platt Lane yesterday watching the under 16 game.

I wonder if he's being drafted in, afterall, Cookie does owe him one?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:01 pm

ant london wrote:

Hmmmm, dunno mate, I'd say that was pretty "on topic" for this thread.....how did he look (health-wise)?

Also....what does this Harry Bunn kid look like....he has a name like he comes from the 1950's and I imagine him in Roy of The Rovers style kit every time I hear mention of him

Bunn is only small in stature but pretty quick and also looks quite strong. The key though will be all about his movement, touch and goal scoring ability which all look good at the moment as is his confidence.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby ant london » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:04 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
ant london wrote:

Bunn is only small in stature but pretty quick and also looks quite strong. The key though will be all about his movement, touch and goal scoring ability which all look good at the moment as is his confidence.

is he Frankie Bunn's son??
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:24 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:I thought the Academy had gone to pot since Jim left?

last season seemed to be pretty bad as far as results go. At least compared to Cassell era. However, I have no idea about this years crop. This Bunn lad for example seems to have come from nowhere. Scored for the reserves on the week as well.

Tbf it's about producing players though not results. It's not always the best team that produces the best players, like when SWP came through. Can't remember the team Ireland was in being especially good either, or him being that good in it tbh.

Bunn has been there a while, his dad Frankie Bunn is one of the coaches. I think we have hopes for a few in that group & some of the lads we've recruited from Leeds, Swindon etc have started to get noticed. I've only seen snippets of them but new signing Henshall looks good amongst that age group & I think he's a fair bit younger.

I agree and that's why I said as far as the results go. The way the modern game is we can't expect more than one or two players from an age group to make it to first team. If you look at the squads of FA youth cup winners from this past decade, it's really shocking how few of them has made it. Compared to years gone by. Colin Shindler's (dirty fucking rag licking) book (from supposed Blue) Georgie Best and twenty one others really highlights this. And the way things are going, we sign promising sixteen year olds to Academy rather than give them their whole football education anyway. Most of our promising youngsters like Helan, Guidetti and that kid we brought from Swindon have been brought elsewhere.

Didn't know he was Frank Bunn's lad by the way. He has been with the coaching set up for ages so must be dead proud to see his lad there.

From an English point of view we need to start producing more quality here & there's always the danger that regulations may be brought in to stop us signing from abroad.

I've absolutely no idea whether Harry Bunn is Frankie's son btw, I just threw it in for a laugh assuming someone would stomp on me. As nobody has, I presume it's probably true!
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby stockportblue » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:02 pm

ant london wrote:

Uwe looked lean in a healthy way.Henshall looked very useful-I hope he doesnt get to much pressure too soon.As Doug mentioned earlier Joan Roman looked very useful especially playing in a more central position which obviously suits him much better.
stockportblue
Danny Mills' Wages

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: stephen ireland

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum