Orange and other mobiles at COMS

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Orange and other mobiles at COMS

Postby s1ty m » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:45 pm

Had a brief look and could see no similar thread.

Anyone else basically unable to use a mobile during matches at COMS? Volume of traffic, the mass of steel and concrete, dark conspiracy theory?!

Or is it just me? A bit annoying when you want to call someone to update scores, etc.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Re: Orange and other mobiles at COMS

Postby irblinx » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:51 pm

Volume of traffic, if you get there early enough before the place fills up (as we did for Valencia to check out our new seats) you will find you don't have the issue. Mobile cells just aren't built for that level of concurrency
irblinx

Postby craigmcfc » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:56 pm

Yeah I'm on O2 and suffer similar problems. It's ok throughout the 90 minutes too, but as soon as half-time starts, full-time or a goal's scored then a message can take 7 or 8 attempts to send. I'm sure it got raised at a Points of Blue meeting last season and the club said they'd look into it, but if it's user volume I'm not sure what they could do
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:59 pm

I was texting & receiving insults to ( & from) a rag mate pretty much all last season on Orange & even got messages from Norwegians etc.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby City1970 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:15 pm

s1ty m wrote:Had a brief look and could see no similar thread.

Anyone else basically unable to use a mobile during matches at COMS? Volume of traffic, the mass of steel and concrete, dark conspiracy theory?!

Or is it just me? A bit annoying when you want to call someone to update scores, etc.

Im on Orange too mate, and it works ok for me. However I have noticed there is a better reception when im on the first tier, compared to tiers 2 and 3 (which I rarely use anyway).
Manchester City - F**king up U****d since 2009
City1970
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Err...guess
My favourite player is: Mike Doyle

Postby Sister of fu » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:24 pm

craigmcfc wrote:Yeah I'm on O2 and suffer similar problems. It's ok throughout the 90 minutes too, but as soon as half-time starts, full-time or a goal's scored then a message can take 7 or 8 attempts to send. I'm sure it got raised at a Points of Blue meeting last season and the club said they'd look into it, but if it's user volume I'm not sure what they could do

This^^^ my phone has never worked at COMs.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:40 pm

Are you lot who's phones don't work all upstairs or at one end or something? I'm level 1 East Stand & can't remember ever having a problem.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:42 pm

I have had service on and off, I was on call once taking IT faults whilst at the match :-) Shame I had good coverage then!
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:43 pm

It'll be a combination of stadium position, volume on the network and all the other corporate traffic on the site. A Sure Signal box and other network equivalents could be installed quite easily if the club requested it.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 pm

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:It'll be a combination of stadium position, volume on the network and all the other corporate traffic on the site. A Sure Signal box and other network equivalents could be installed quite easily if the club requested it.

I thought you'd turned into someone else? Are you back as you again now or was it someone pretending to be you & you've been you all along?

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby craigmcfc » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:47 pm

North Stand Level 2 here, like I said my problem is mainly half time and when anything occurs on the pitch that means 10,000 people text at the same time
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:54 pm

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:It'll be a combination of stadium position, volume on the network and all the other corporate traffic on the site. A Sure Signal box and other network equivalents could be installed quite easily if the club requested it.

It will purely be a traffic related issue, as most likely around COMS there are only micro-cells which help to amplify signal through an existing local cell site. The micro cells would be fine for most match days. However the recent explosion onto the scene of the I-phone and other always on handsets will have caused the network to be potentially almost at capacity before anybody even tries to make a call.

The cynic in me and knowledge of mobile network planning tells me that on Saturday afternoon, hardly anybody pays for their calls anyway so why would the 4 networks go to the expense of installing additional cell sites which will stand idle for 13 days out of 14?

If the club wanted it, you can bet the club would have to pay for it. Otherwise it might take until 4g is rolled out before the networks get round to it.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby s1ty m » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:17 pm

Amazing technical knowledge. From football fans. And thatcher thought we were all thugs. Anyone wanna talk Shakespeare? Darlings. City fans, best fans in the land and a the world. Book it.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m

Postby Feed The Goat » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:28 pm

have always had a problem using my phone at CoMS i also had the same problem after the Carling cup at the swamp. its ok tho keeps the wife out my ear while i am at the game
Mcf.net best app in the land and all the world
Feed The Goat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:30 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

I thought you'd turned into someone else? Are you back as you again now or was it someone pretending to be you & you've been you all along?

I don't know what's been going on the past few days mate.

I do miss my apostrophe though : (
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Return to The Maine Football forum