the days of spending £100m in a transfer window over?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

the days of spending £100m in a transfer window over?

Postby the_georgian_genius » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:44 pm

I hope that it. The last two summer transfer windows have been out of this world. We've gone from having Fernandes, Dunne, Ben Haim, Benjani, Ball and Vassell in our squad to Balotelli, Tevez, Silva, Milner, Yaya, Robinho in our squad in just 2 years and the £300m+ outley was needed to get us to where we are in such a short space of time.

Theres been so much change in that time, a HUGE turnover of players, 2 managers and being heralded as the devils club that i'm craving for abit of stability and want to see this team BUILD into a great one.

I think this squad is young enough and good enough to have a great 3-4 years together before the likes of Tevez, Adebayor, Yaya might need replacing whether too old or gone back home.

I hope our aim now is to produce our own players or buy them young and cheap like Hart and Johnson.
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Re: the days of spending £100m in a transfer window over?

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:02 pm

1 major signing a season from now on. Fuck me if City rip it all up and start again this time next year we will deserve the flak. We are now at the level we need to be. Its now all about consistency of performance and selection. I dont know about you but when someone says "rotation policy" I immediately think of a barrel on a fruit machine but in reality to succeed in England it has to be done sparingly.
Bianchi on Ice

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby the_georgian_genius » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:05 pm

Bianchi on Ice wrote:1 major signing a season from now on. Fuck me if City rip it all up and start again this time next year we will deserve the flak. We are now at the level we need to be. Its now all about consistency of performance and selection. I dont know about you but when someone says "rotation policy" I immediately think of a barrel on a fruit machine but in reality to succeed in England it has to be done sparingly.

rotate when players are fucked physically and mentally, not for the sake of it. No player next year should be playing when they are physically and mentally not 100%.

I don't think we need 1 major signing a season, i still think we might need another centre half next season but not one we should be spending £20m on.
the_georgian_genius

Postby Patrick » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:24 pm

trouble is we havent a proven team yet, so we have to be realistic and assume that some will not live up to expectation or just not fit in

add to that the fact that a world class player could command a hundred mill on his own in the next few years and if we get cl next year who knows who we might chase
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby Blue Blood » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:59 pm

1 major signing a season and the snapping up of the best youth players and i will be well happy.

All these 100 million+ sprees surely are no longer needed, the squad is there now lads. It's just gonna take time and effort but no more whirlwind changes needed.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Mike J » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:09 pm

im happy with the squad now.... well maybe one top class cb would be nice.

after that id like us to carry on developing our own youngsters.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby john@staustell » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:42 am

Mike J wrote:im happy with the squad now.... well maybe one top class cb would be nice.

after that id like us to carry on developing our own youngsters.

I still think there's room for the last striker, the 'show stopper'. Hence RSC will be our 4th striker this year.

RSC or Torres or Ibrahimovic?

So that's a CB, striker, and if Given leaves..................., and then .....................oops here we go again!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Return to The Maine Football forum