Will Liverpool game sell out?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Will Liverpool game sell out?

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:05 am

ant london wrote:
lets all have a disco wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Seriously though...Why the fuck are we talking about increasing the capacity to 60k when we can't even sell out our first home game of the season against the dippers?

It's no wonder rags take the piss

20-25 pound a pop and 60k would have sold out months ago.

true mate but there is no way on earth that the club could drop tickets to those prices at the moment.

we are not going to be balancing our books any time soon but they need to make sure they at least try to minimise the losses.

Whilst I think 50 quid is steep for a standard seat, i dont think that a standard price of 40 for this highest category would be unreasonable in light of the fact that we have spent several hundred million on new players in the last couple of years.

It would be nice to be able to sell at those lower prices....and I do believe that if they increase capacity there will be cheaper tickets overall. Get it built.

In terms of IBH's point re fans not bothering, it's a personal choice (as it was for all of those people who couldn't be arsed turning up for all our last UEFA games) but it makes us look shit, and if people could have afforded 30-35 quid i'm pretty positive most people could muster the rest.

Also baffles me why anyone who has a choice in the matter would choose to watch our biggest games at home/in the pub rather than actually being there at the ground....madness

I think that point is debatable.

If I went to the game vs Liverpool last year, I paid £36 for my ticket, got a couple of pints and something to eat, it would have come to £50 for the day out. Now I am expected to pay £48, plus the increased food & drink prices. Essentially for the same experience it is costing me 33% more than it did last season, and is costing me the same just for the match ticket as it did for my whole day out last season.

I took the decision to have an ST, purely to avoid having to make these decisions, and at £22 a match I am really happy with the benefits of doing so. However many are unable to afford that outlay, and it seems that the club is ripping the arse out of them.

If the club suddenly increased my ST by 33%, its not a case of me struggling to find an extra £133, I just wouldnt be prepared to pay it. I would not pay £50 a game to go to the odd game, and thus city would lose me as a match-going fan. If they want to replace the likes of me with plastics over the coming years, fair enough, thats their choice but there are plenty who would take the same view.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:06 am

Just looked at the OS; it says online ticket sales unavailable. There's your answer.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby ant london » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:08 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
ant london wrote:
Also baffles me why anyone who has a choice in the matter would choose to watch our biggest games at home/in the pub rather than actually being there at the ground....madness

Exactly...do we really want to turn into the armchair fans over the road?

I can understand with regards to fans abroad...but IMO fans in the UK...even if they have to pick and chose their games...have to make the effort to get to our bigger games at home (Rags/Chelsea/Arse/Spuds/Scouse1)

I remember our first season at Eastlands.....I was in London, me and my bird just had Citycards and it was a fucking MISSION to get tickets....especially for the big matches which was nigh on impossible.

I just cannot believe that we have got a squad containing more than two whole teams worth of FULL international players, at least 5 established England players, Carlos Tevez, Robinho, Yaya Toure, Emmanuel Adebayor, Mario Balotelli, David Silva

and we cannot sell out (well in advance) our first home game with these players against fucking Liverpool

it is an absolute disgrace
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Rae4685 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:09 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
ant london wrote:

Exactly...do we really want to turn into the armchair fans over the road?

I can understand with regards to fans abroad...but IMO fans in the UK...even if they have to pick and chose their games...have to make the effort to get to our bigger games at home (Rags/Chelsea/Arse/Spuds/Scouse1)

Now your talking nonsense! So fans should avoid the lesser games and save up for the big games if that's all they can afford? Then our attendances really would loom shite! I get to everygame I can if I can afford it it's as simple as that and I can't justify £50 o. A football match when I've a house to decorate! It's ridiculous
Rae4685
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Edin Dzeko

Postby Chinners » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:12 am

I find it a disgrace that others think its a disgrace the some others won't pay £50 to go. I won't be in attendance not at that price, be it on a Sat, Sun or Monday ... joke decision by the club but they've gotta recoup somehow I suppose, just ain't going to be from me
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Beeks » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:12 am

johnpb78 wrote:
If I went to the game vs Liverpool last year, I paid £36 for my ticket, got a couple of pints and something to eat, it would have come to £50 for the day out. Now I am expected to pay £48, plus the increased food & drink prices. Essentially for the same experience it is costing me 33% more than it did last season, and is costing me the same just for the match ticket as it did for my whole day out last season.

I'm not having that John

Take a pack lunch or eat before you get into the ground...same with a beer...its a tenner more...I don't give a shite about excuses...anyone who won't spend a tenner more to see a top catagory game isn't skint...they are just tight arses
Last edited by Beeks on Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Chinners » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:14 am

Yeah, I'm a tight arse then ... risible stuff
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:18 am

Gospel truth if it came down to it,id rather get my shopping for the week than go to the Pool game.
Sorry if that makes me a tight arse or sensible.

So John brings a pack lunch to the game and a flask and gets fucking nailed for being a daytripper,prawn butty muncher.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby ant london » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:19 am

Chinners wrote:Yeah, I'm a tight arse then ... risible stuff

OK then it seems that you are saying that you "refuse" to pay 50 rather than cannot

Refuse why?

1 - As has been said, this is more or less the going rate. I've been charged this before at other grounds previously. The market rate may be excessive but I dont think the club can be accused of profiteering or exploiting city fans unduly...so what is the issue here?

2 - Do you not think that, in assembling our current squad the club is more than offering you an increase in "quality product" compared to having previously been willing to part for at least 30 to see a team featuring Stephen Jordan, Joey Barton and Bernardo Corradi?

3 - Do you not think the team needs your support at the ground, do you not think they would benefit from you and others like you being there?
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beeks » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:19 am

ant london wrote:
I just cannot believe that we have got a squad containing more than two whole teams worth of FULL international players, at least 5 established England players, Carlos Tevez, Robinho, Yaya Toure, Emmanuel Adebayor, Mario Balotelli, David Silva

and we cannot sell out (well in advance) our first home game with these players against fucking Liverpool

it is an absolute disgrace

Same fuckers who won't put their hands in their pocket and shell out £50 to see a top class game but will gladly watch the Sheikh pour billions into the club on facilities and world class players

That's the trouble with some fans...always want something for nothing
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:20 am

As it goes i fucking hate threads like this one.

Pointless IMHO,if you can afford go if you cant so what.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby ant london » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:23 am

lets all have a disco wrote:As it goes i fucking hate threads like this one.

Mate....if you cannot afford to go then I dont think anyone would/could have an issue

I don't have an issue/problem with it even if you choose not to go....it's everyone's individual choice

What I genuinely don't understand is WHY some people would choose not to go to this when they are likely have happily schlepped out in the cold winter to watch the fucking dogshit that has been served up by City in the past???? 50 is a fucking bargain when weighed up against the cost/benefit of previously following us
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:26 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:

I'm not having that John

Take a pack lunch or eat before you get into the ground...same with a beer...its a tenner more...I don't give a shite about excuses...anyone who won't spend a tenner more to see a top catagory game isn't skint...they are just tight arses

Others have different priorities in their lives, and frankly it really irritates me to see people telling others how they should support their club, and now how much they should be prepared to pay.

As I said, I am happy with my circumstances for now and ST prices, but the fact is that football clubs are trying to take a higher and higher slice of the working man's income, and there has to be a tipping point.

Unfortunately, when you are paying £100 for your match ticket and being judgmental of others for not choosing to do the same, you will be surrounded in the ground by plastics, because the likes of me, Rae122345643 and countless others will not be supporting the club at all on matchdays. This isn't just about the Liverpool game, its about the direction the club ae going in.

Comparing people in those circumstances as similar to armchair rags is simply not relevant in this case either, because United have until the last couple of years had the most reasonable ticket prices in the league, and did not profiteer from the fans in terms of ticket prices until the Glazers arrived. Even so, they still only charged us £42 for the semi final! Rags were considered armchair fans because of all the leeches that had NEVER made the effort to get to a game DESPITE the availability of cheap tickets.

The difference between us and them, is that all our loyal fans were regular match-goers before the success and look set to be rewarded by being priced out.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Beeks » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:27 am

ant london wrote:
lets all have a disco wrote:As it goes i fucking hate threads like this one.

Mate....if you cannot afford to go then I dont think anyone would/could have an issue

I don't have an issue/problem with it even if you choose not to go....it's everyone's individual choice

What I genuinely don't understand is WHY some people would choose not to go to this when they are likely have happily schlepped out in the cold winter to watch the fucking dogshit that has been served up by City in the past???? 50 is a fucking bargain when weighed up against the cost/benefit of previously following us

That's exactly my view too

At the end of the day we have signed how many players this summer?!

All world class top quality players

I would have thought that regardless of it being £50 (which lets face it...you pay more for a fucking Madonna Concert) The attraction of seeing these players in the flesh against one of our main rivals in the first game of the season after what has been a long summer...we would be able to fill the fucking ground

I really don't think that's unreasonable
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby ant london » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:33 am

johnpb78 wrote: the likes of me, Rae122345643 and countless others will not be supporting the club at all on matchdays. This isn't just about the Liverpool game, its about the direction the club are going in.

sorry mate, I've had my fill of this utopian bullshit....first about our "soul"...now about the direction we're going in

you don't get something for nothing in this world. we could have stayed shit and paid the same prices, struggling for survival, up and down, shitty players and managers coming in and out

we have improved in all senses...we are going in a fucking brilliant direction and I find it insane that people can only focus on the downsides of "what we've lost"

it is, however, all a personal choice....no-one should be forced to go to follow a club they believe in less and less. but i wish I didn't have to continue listening to their fucking tiresome laments either

EDIT: John...that's not a personal pop at you at all....I just don't get it, I really don't
Last edited by ant london on Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Chinners » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:35 am

Bit of both Ant tbh ... £50 on top of travel, beers etc is too much. I've not gone to Chelsea away for the past 6 dseasons and thats nearly on my doorstep as I think £50 for a prem game is too much. As you say, personal choice and I choose not to pay
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beeks » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:40 am

Oil-rich pickings

Breakdown of Sheikh Mansour's spending at Manchester City
Total transfer spending - £355 million (includes £130 million this summer and £140 million last summer)
Total "committed" on wages for new signings and on new contracts for existing players - £487.8 million
Cost of takeover - £210 million
Capital expenditure on improving stadium, training ground and other projects - £20 million
Total "committed" outlay - £1.08 billion

and we are asked to spend a tenner more on a top catagory game...
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Chinners » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:45 am

You are aware that there is a near recession on arn't you?
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby King Kev » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:48 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Oil-rich pickings

Total transfer spending - £355 million (includes £130 million this summer and £140 million last summer)
Total "committed" on wages for new signings and on new contracts for existing players - £487.8 million
Capital expenditure on improving stadium, training ground and other projects - £20 million

Comparing the budgets of Sheikh Mansour to that of the average fan is hardly realistic. He may have spent £1B on the club but he still won't be worrying how to pay his mortgage this month.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:51 am

King Kev wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Oil-rich pickings

Comparing the budgets of Sheikh Mansour to that of the average fan is hardly realistic. He may have spent £1B on the club but he still won't be worrying how to pay his mortgage this month.

Be some fucking house if he was.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum