LOL @ France

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

LOL @ France

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:23 pm

Nicolas Anelka's France career could be at an end [highlight]after he was hit with an 18-match suspension[/highlight] by the French Football Federation.

Chelsea striker Anelka was disciplined for his part in the internal strife which contributed to Les Bleus' early exit from the World Cup in South Africa.

[highlight]Patrice Evra has been handed a five-match ban, Franck Ribery a three-match suspension, Jeremy Toulalan a one-game ban[/highlight], while Eric Abidal and the remaining members of the 23-man squad have escaped further punishment, having already missed the first match of Laurent Blanc's reign as coach.

Evra, Abidal, Anelka, Ribery and Toulalan were earlier this month called to today's French Football Federation hearing to discuss the behaviour of the national team during the tournament in South Africa, when in-fighting led to them being eliminated in the group stage.

Les Bleus' World Cup campaign descended into farce after the squad went on strike after Anelka was sent home from South Africa after an altercation with then coach Raymond Domenech.

France also finished bottom of their group after scoring just one goal and earning one point in three matches.

The fall-out from the team's lamentable performance led to new coach Blanc suspending all 23 members of the World Cup squad from his selection from the friendly against Norway in Oslo earlier this month, while the FFF also withheld bonuses owed to the players.

Barcelona defender Abidal, Manchester United defender Evra and Toulalan, of Lyon, appeared at the hearing, while Chelsea striker Anelka and Ribery of Bayern Munich sent representatives.

Anelka, at aged 31, has almost certainly seen his international career come to an end after 69 caps, which included being part of the victorious squad at Euro 2000.

A statement on the French Football Federation's official website, www.fff.fr, read: "At a meeting in Paris this Tuesday, August 17, 2010, following the submission by the federal council dated August 6, 2010 relating to events occurring within the France team at the FIFA World Cup 2010, the federal commission for discipline of the FFF has taken the following decisions:

"Nicolas Anelka is sanctioned with an 18-game suspension from selection for the France team.

"A five-game suspension from selection for the France team has been issued to Patrice Evra.

"Franck Ribery will have to serve a three-game suspension.

"Jeremy Toulalan is punished with one-game suspension.

"The commission takes note of the explanation provided by Eric Abidal, who has not been sanctioned."

Former France team director Jean-Louis Valentin, who resigned following the farcical events in South Africa, earlier said the rebels deserved a second chance.

After giving evidence at the hearing, Valentin said: "As a lover and supporter of the France team, I think everyone deserves a second chance."

Valentin indicated the players expressed remorse for their actions.

"I felt the players apologise, marked and scarred by what had happened," he said.

"I think now they must know how to turn the page and move on.

"There was a very good dialogue that lasted long enough."

That's a seriously long ban for Anelka. Can't help but think that France as a footballing force are buggered for the next five years.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Re: LOL @ France

Postby HeyMark » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:26 pm

Apparently anelka has already retired from international football so his ban is pretty pointless
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:53 pm

The French FA are a fucking joke, just like our FA really. Somehow the powers that be allowed Domenach to stay at the helm when he should've been fucked off ages before they qualified (and let's face it, they only qualified by cheating). The players had no respect for the bloke whatsoever and there was no way they were going anywhere in the WC. Now, after all the shit they went through there, their FA decide to scapegoat certain players in order to keep their cushty seats of power. Well, at least one of them had the grace to resign!

Strange how all this came out just after France get the Euro's, funny that!!!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby blues-clues » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:57 pm

I wonder what french is for, "am I bovered? do I look bovered?" would love to see Nic on TV say that!
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby King Kev » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:33 pm

Trouble is, this will benefit Chelsea and the scum.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Patrick » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:36 pm

I just wish the English FA had the balls to do something similar
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:19 am

Patrick wrote:I just wish the English FA had the balls to do something similar

It seems a bit of a sham to save face by the FFA

Anelka being banned for 18 matches when he has already told them to stick the French side where the sun don't shine is irrelevant. As he quite rightly says, they could have banned him for 100 matches and it would have made no difference.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Return to The Maine Football forum