Micah or Ned?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Micah or Ned?

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:30 am

Both have unfulfilled potential. We have limited spots on the roster and one is revered while one slated.

For me Micah is far superior. His best games made him an England regular and his chances of knuckling down are better than neds chances of swapping his glass legs for real ones.

So I am asking why is Ned getting cult status while Micah gets roasted?
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Re: Micah or Ned?

Postby Colin the King » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:02 am

Neither of them are top quality players. I thought they both were for a long time, but as we increase in quality it's become evident how vulnerable they actually are. It's sad since we all want homegrown talent (and especially Ned since he's a blue) to thrive but, looking at it objectively, neither has the capability to be a key player once we reach the top. At a push, Ned would probably have gone on to become the better player, but his injuries put paid to that. He was first in the pecking order and it was only when he got a serious injury that Micah stepped in and played fantastically that season. Micah's been a mainstay in the team ever since (five years, hard to believe- must be nearing 200 appearances?) while Ned kept coming back, showing promise and then getting injured again, although most recently, around March, he came in and did quite well for us and was dropped once Zabaleta got back.

If you look at the main attributes of a defender and compare the two-

Pace- Ned is naturally quicker, he always was. Not actually as good running with the ball at his feet but in a foot race, he wins every time. He should utilise it more though.

Aerial Ability- Micah probably edges this. Ned was strong in the air when he wanted to be but missed his header a few times over the years, allowing the striker in to score (see Sunderland's game at the weekend). Even when Micah's having a nightmare, he's nearly always strong and dependable in the air and has scored his fair share too.

Concentration/intelligence- Ned has this sewn up although, honestly, he's prone to having a blonde moment too. His positional sense is better overall, more so at centre half since he's better suited to being there insofar as he's disciplined enough to stay tight and doesn't meander all over the place, intelligence wise though he does miss the glaringly obvious at times and better quality centre halves show up his insufficiencies. Things like squaring up to the runner and conceding acres of space rather than narrowing their options. Micah's poor in every aspect of this, his physicality got him out of a lot of trouble at centre back when he was younger, but at full back he has this habit of going off for a brew and a cake and doesn't come back for half an hour. He never pushes his man away or blocks the incoming cross and concedes WAY too much space on the wing.

Distribution- Again, neither of them are great in this regard. Ned is sensible enough when he keeps it short and can even look composed when he sticks to that, but then he gets a touch of Dunnyitis and feels compelled to launch it 50 yards in the air. Micah rarely does that but what he actually does is worse, by running around with the ball, losing it (often in our half) and upsetting the shape of the side and puts his colleagues under immense pressure. He has it in him to deliver a good cross but rarely, if ever, does.

Tackling- This is where Ned shines way above Micah. He's a fucking superb tackler, precise, clean and firm, while Micah tends to push and shove his way back to having the ball (which often leads to conceding free kicks). If Ned worked on other aspects of his game and fine tuned them to the standard of tackling, then we could talk about being a top player.

That sounds harsh on both of them and over the course of 90 minutes those weaknesses wouldn't always be exposed, but it's when they are that's the problem. Both guys are young enough to make it as top defenders, Ned would be more likely because of his natural athleticism and defensive qualities, but will he ever stay fit long enough? Micah hasn't got the positional awareness or the intelligence to think about consequences (leaving his side exposed, giving away free kicks). But he is very strong physically, good in the air and relatively quick so he has some qualities there to work with. Time will tell for him, but as it stands, he's not going to be a title winning right or centre back. He was the only liability in the side on Saturday and but for Hart, would have been utterly lambasted rather than just criticised.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby CTID Hants » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:32 am

Fuck me! CTK what an answer to the original question.

Ok I admit ia am pissed but and was going to say simply that Micah if he can't get back is as much use to us as choc tea pot AND Saturday proved he hasn't learnt! That said, Ashley Cole used to be like that and seems to have turned it around, I seriously hope Micah can do the same?

Nedum seemed at stages to look like a promising CB, but injury would appear to have stolen him early? Ledley King at least got to the top his game before he got crock.

I too, like PBL and many more on here are really wish that Academy players were up to where the club is going.

Sadly as things go neither appears to be.

God my head hurts after readin CTK's post on a Blackberry but he is bang on!
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby HeyMark » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:14 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:Both have unfulfilled potential. We have limited spots on the roster and one is revered while one slated.

For me Micah is far superior. His best games made him an England regular and his chances of knuckling down are better than neds chances of swapping his glass legs for real ones.

Hahaha what a choice of a phrase!!
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Mase » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:16 pm

HeyMark wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:Both have unfulfilled potential. We have limited spots on the roster and one is revered while one slated.

Ha good spot!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:18 pm

HeyMark wrote:

On the ball. Seriously hate trying to type on my phone, now I'm on the PC I will add this.

Ned for all his promise, has only ever shown that. He has never been seriously considered for an England squad and only ever been picked for us due to injuries. Micah was 1st choice for both for quite a while.

I still think Micah will push for a spot here and get one if he turns it back around. Sadly Neds biggest problem is injury has never shown if we are giving him the Michael Johnson treatment or if he really could be that good.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:32 pm

If Ned learns to head the ball when challenged he'll be better than Micah as a CB. Otherwise he'll only ever be a dodgy CB who misses headers or a fullback who can't pass, cross or dribble very well but can tackle.

Micah could be a great defensive CB if his concentration etc improves (often a reason for him also missing headers he would otherwise win) but imo will only ever be a stand in if played at fullback because amongst other things, he hasn't got the 'engine' for it, albeit he could be a lot better at it than he has been recently.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby mcfc1632 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:02 am

Micah is getting 'roasted' - because he is a total defensive liability and fans cannot understand why that RB position has not been resolved such that it is clear that he will not be a regular starter - simples
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:01 am

Ned.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Us

Postby Fish111 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:16 am

Neither is much kop imo. Micah showed great potential until he decided to turn himself into a tank by kicking the arse out of the weights and in so doing has made himself too bulky and less of an athlete. He now has the turning circle and speed over 20 metres of an oil tanker. Ned on the other hand is too laid back for me and his injury problems are a major concern. Both are squad players at best but would be best for their own careers if they sought employment elsewhere.
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby john@staustell » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:54 am

Ted Hughes wrote:If Ned learns to head the ball when challenged he'll be better than Micah as a CB. Otherwise he'll only ever be a dodgy CB who misses headers or a fullback who can't pass, cross or dribble very well but can tackle.

Micah could be a great defensive CB if his concentration etc improves (often a reason for him also missing headers he would otherwise win) but imo will only ever be a stand in if played at fullback because amongst other things, he hasn't got the 'engine' for it, albeit he could be a lot better at it than he has been recently.

Ned is in mid-career now. Never stepped forward to the plate from when he was 19.

Micah is the more classy, spectacular, but bloody hell his defending is poor at times. It's not only his challenging it's the number of times he just isn't there. Where does he go?

Bobby shows signs of persevering with him, but then after Saturday he might have taken a decision. But he IS English and home-grown and all that, and as cover for Boateng in easy home games it shouldn't be a bad option. And we also have mad Zabba.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Return to The Maine Football forum