Are we too negative?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Are we too negative?

Postby john@staustell » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:34 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:It is an interesting scenario and maybe this is close to the real issue.
"We have debated this ad infinitum and it seems to me some people dont have the faintest clue what Mancini is about. Not the faintest"

Close but I would extend the comment to suggest that ,so far, the players also haven't had much of a clue. Certainly last year with our scoreless performances against LPool,Arse,Everton,Scum,Spurs where we played the cautious game it was clear our ability to control games and score goals was very worrying. We must believe that, with more time working with the players and a new group of key players added, we will start to perform better in these games and look like we can win.

In the Spurs game on Saturday we looked lost in the first half and Joe saved us but in the 2nd half there were some good signs of understanding and an ability to control the game.We kept possession better which meant the defence wasn't under seige. I know we didn't threaten to score very often but that will come as the players get used to each other more and confidence grows.

Yes they certainly need time, and the 0-0 was a bonus with so little training. But the expectations are too much. How many times have we seen Scum get coshed away from home only to come through later in the game, because when they got the chance they had the quality to take it? Dozens and dozens. In this case SWP fluffed his lines badly for example, whereas Tevez, Ade, Silva or others may not have. You dont really go to Spurs and dominate, you keep them out and then pick them off. But the team wasn't ready to pick them off (and only just kept them out - but they did!)

When SCUM get hammered then come through 1-0, all the talk is of another brilliant away win.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Fish111 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:39 am

I fully expect us to play like we did against spurs against most Prem teams when we are playing away. And i fully expect he'll try to attack a lot more when we paly at home.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:55 am

Fish111 wrote:I fully expect us to play like we did against spurs against most Prem teams when we are playing away. And i fully expect he'll try to attack a lot more when we paly at home.

That's the big question , the home approach as last year he was probably overcautious at home as well.Maybe Lpool on Monday will give us a clue.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:47 am

We had little choice v Spurs as the pre season was such a disorganised tactically loose mess We did well to get into the game 2nd half though & began to show little signs of improvement going forward.

I'm not overly optimistic it will be that much of an improvement v Liverpool, I expect us to look like we did 2nd half v Spurs (average rather than total shite) but it's hard to guage what difference Balotelli, a week's fitness/organising & home advantage will make. On the downside, scousers will be just as negative v us as we were v Spurs but are better than us at attacking corners free kicks (until Balotelli that is). If we don't click, this game could be a bad one but if we do, happy days.

Then though we have 3 winnable PL games plus a Uefa v not very good teams who will see a draw v us as a good result. It's drawing those kind of games that got Hughes sacked & Mancini MUST show ambition & quality with this vastly superior squad. Lack of understanding is no excuse as it was his decision to dump Bellamy & throw this team together rather than introduce new players gradually into the settled line up from last season. We have to play positive football in that period even if he plays a more negative style v some of the top teams. A top side would not shut up shop against this kind of opposition,we need to show some guts & attack.

Even if we don't win all 4 games, attacking football & a few home victories will set the ball rolling & give most City fans hopes of good times ahead. Negativity v those teams will be one foot in the sack race for Mancini & the press will lynch us.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Murph » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:19 am

Really good debate this one. I think we might need to give it three or four games until everyone's up to speed and the new signings have had a bit of time to settle in, before we can judge Mancini's plans a bit better. I could understand the midfield 3 selection for spurs with it being the first game but I wouldn't like to see that 3 all in the same team very often, perhaps just the real difficult away games. I also thought it was a mistake not to play Adebayor at spurs we needed someone on there to lead the line and try and get a grip of the ball, Tevez was too deep too often for my liking. I also think we need to get Adam Johnson in the team on a regular basis, I love watching this kid play, I'm as certain as I've ever been that this lad will be a top class player.
"You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the fucl do you think you're talking to?"
Murph
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:33 am

Murph wrote:Really good debate this one. I think we might need to give it three or four games until everyone's up to speed and the new signings have had a bit of time to settle in, before we can judge Mancini's plans a bit better. I could understand the midfield 3 selection for spurs with it being the first game but I wouldn't like to see that 3 all in the same team very often, perhaps just the real difficult away games. I also thought it was a mistake not to play Adebayor at spurs we needed someone on there to lead the line and try and get a grip of the ball, Tevez was too deep too often for my liking. I also think we need to get Adam Johnson in the team on a regular basis, I love watching this kid play, I'm as certain as I've ever been that this lad will be a top class player.

Tbf though, the front 3; Tevez & Silva are nowhere near match fit & SWP was rubbish. (Bellamy should have been playing but that's another story)

A fully fit front 3 of Tevez & Balotelli in front of Silva backed up by Yaya & Milner in front of DeJong with Boateng & Kolarov going forward is a decent attacking formation which could form into a midfield 5 or even 6 when we lose the ball.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby King Kev » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:41 am

Last season there were only 3 teams that scored more league goals than us. Despite this, there were still a number of people on here whinging that we were playing boring defensive football.

City fans like to moan even if there is no foundation for it. It's just a fact of life.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby The Man In Blue » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:16 am

i don't know, i've been quite happy recently. looking on the bright side and all that.
The Man In Blue

Postby john@staustell » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:19 am

King Kev wrote:Last season there were only 3 teams that scored more league goals than us. Despite this, there were still a number of people on here whinging that we were playing boring defensive football.

City fans like to moan even if there is no foundation for it. It's just a fact of life.

So true.

And truer more than ever the better we get. Were it ever so in the old days!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:21 am

King Kev wrote:Last season there were only 3 teams that scored more league goals than us. Despite this, there were still a number of people on here whinging that we were playing boring defensive football.

i dont think of myself as a huge moaner, but what was the position of Mancini, because that's what we're discussing. I doubt his side were in the top 3 in goals scored. Those numbers were set on the back of "attack until you drop dead" footy that entertained in the first 3 months of last season.

we did play conservative/defensive football in general over the last few months of last season. That cannot be disputed.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby The Man In Blue » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:24 am

King Kev wrote:Despite this, there were still a number of people on here whinging that we were playing boring defensive football

so you would say we had the real crack at spurs and arsenal that the situation warrented?
The Man In Blue

Postby john@staustell » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:24 am

DoomMerchant wrote:

i dont think of myself as a huge moaner, but what was the position of Mancini, because that's what we're discussing. I doubt his side were in the top 3 in goals scored. Those numbers were set on the back of "attack until you drop dead" footy that entertained in the first 3 months of last season.

we did play conservative/defensive football in general over the last few months of last season. That cannot be disputed.

cheers

It's the way to go - with the RIGHT personnel. Defend 1st then cut them apart. Unfortunately 2 old (soul of the club etc) players stood out as not up to it - SWP and Micah - plus a left back playing on one leg from very early on!
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby superkev8705 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:25 am

[quote="King Kev"]Last season there were only 3 teams that scored more league goals than us. Despite this, there were still a number of people on here whinging that we were playing boring defensive football.

City fans like to moan even if there is no foundation for it. It's just a fact of life.[/quote]

So true. If we would have attacked away from home at times last season we would of been hammered in a few games. Hull away i recall we attempted to do that and it back fired. His formation will work more this season as he now has the players to play it effectively.
superkev8705
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Carlitos Tevez

Postby King Kev » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:26 am

DoomMerchant wrote:

cheers
Of course it can be disputed, but only if you are willing to look at the facts!

We put 6 past Burnley, 5 past Birmingham, and 3 past Wigan & Villa in the last few months of the season! Regardless of the level of oposition, you don't do that by playing negative football!
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:27 am

King Kev wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

cheers

We put 6 past Burnley, 5 past Birmingham, and 3 past Wigan & Villa in the last few months of the season! Regardless of the level of oposition, you don't do that by playing negative football!

that's amusing, since i only remember the drab crap. Maybe yr right...maybe yr right. I'm a negative moaning little bitch.

cheers for that. ;)
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby King Kev » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:28 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
King Kev wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

cheers

that's amusing, since i only remember the drab crap. Maybe yr right...maybe yr right. I'm a negative moaning little bitch.

cheers for that. ;)

Glad I could help.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:38 am

The negative performances v such as Arsenal cost us the Champ's league & not attacking the rags at home cost us the League Cup.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby mcfc1632 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:40 am

Ted Hughes wrote:The negative performances v such as Arsenal cost us the Champ's league & not attacking the rags at home cost us the League Cup.

Now these are facts not easily disputed
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby ENIAM NAM » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:42 am

King Kev wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

cheers

I remember coming away from the Villa game thinking if we played like that against Spurs, we would get nothing from the game!
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby King Kev » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:58 am

Ted Hughes wrote:The negative performances v such as Arsenal cost us the Champ's league & not attacking the rags at home cost us the League Cup.

We beat the rags at home in the League Cup.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum