Cookie

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Cookie

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:22 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:For me, apart from the good Sheikhs backing, Garry Cook is the main reason we have come so far, so fast. And he's a decent bloke to boot.

The guy bummed a fuclin fag off me. What other chairman has done that? None

Best still is that i don't even smoke but had one cuz i was on the piss. Good times.

I'm a simple man.

Cheers

He only talked to you 'cos he wants in on the MCF.Net scene, otherwise he'd've been bumming spliff's off the Bluemooners ;-)

Cheers.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby lythamblue » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:38 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
lythamblue wrote:He is a bit unconventional when compared to others in a similar position, probably because he comes from a sales amd marketing background rather than a banking or finance one.

However, he is a bit of a maverick and a local boy made good type character.He shoots from the hip and says what he thinks but he is highly motivated, loves the game, enjoys the high profile and is ...... probably just what we need at the moment.

Let Khaldoon and the boys from AD play the business role and let him wheel, deal and bullshit like the entreprenneur he obviously is.

I like him!

That's my view mate, he reminds me of the Del 'Boy' Trotter that 'Made it good'. He may drop the odd clanger but he sure makes up for it with his guile and tenacity to succeed.

And he's a decent bloke to boot.

He is a decent bloke! I can't say I know him but have bumped into him a few times whilst I have been on business in and around COMS and the City @ Home building. He always seems relaxed and talks to everyone like one of the boys.

He takes the piss out of colleagues in a friendly way and seems to enjoy the craic.

It wouldn't surprise me if he had a ruthless streak in him somewhere ...... but hasn't anyone who has worked their way into his position.

To be honest, MCFC is not that big a business and he is probably less highly paid than thousands of other CEO's of much bigger businesses. However, very few of those businesses have the high media profile of the one he runs, and he doesn't seem phased by it, which is very important.
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby gillie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:48 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:For me, apart from the good Sheikhs backing, Garry Cook is the main reason we have come so far, so fast. And he's a decent bloke to boot.

The guy bummed a fuclin fag off me. What other chairman has done that? None

Best still is that i don't even smoke but had one cuz i was on the piss. Good times.

I'm a simple man.

Cheers

Very simple!
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:05 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:I believe Cook's comments about stopping relegation from the Premier League, made just after he joined the club, did a lot to damage us among football fans in general. The majority of fans of other clubs have made up their minds, based on that, that he has got no idea what makes the English game tick - and I think they were right. Maybe he has learned a bit since then but the damage among fans in general is done.

Funny, isn't it though, that when that geezer at Bolton says the same thing about stopping relegation, everyone jumps on it. Our bloke says it and it gets largely ignored.

It seems everyone else has forgotten about that interview but you and me. Some of the stuff he suggested there was so shocking that I can still remember where I was when I read it.

It was exactly the kind of fucking crap I've loathed reading from chairmen of other clubs (usually chancers) and it would be highly hypocritical for me to applaud it when it comes from our chairman.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby dazby » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:10 am

A legend purely due to his handling of the Kaka affair. To say Milan "bottled it" was pure class.

I like him.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum