Cookie

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Cookie

Postby Beeks » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:35 pm

What do you think about him then?

I know he has been around long enough now to form an opinion

I don't know what to make of him...no doubt he is a good businessman having worked for Nike

But is he really the face to carry us into a new era?

From what I gather from fans who have met him he seems a very likeable man who is a 'fan' himself

But is this down to earth man really how we want to portray ourself as a football club?

Personally I would prefer it if he took a backseat a little more

His outbursts at times have been embarrassing to say the least and I can't help thinking if we would have had a man with a little less ego and a little more restraint then the hatred aimed at City would have been lessened significantly

Thoughts?
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Re: Cookie

Postby superkev8705 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:50 pm

Hes a tryer.
superkev8705
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Carlitos Tevez

Postby mcfc1632 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:50 pm

I think that he has already turned out to be our best 'signing' by a distance when you look at the progress we have made off the pitch - I just wonder how he fits it all in - must eat and sleep the job.....

If we do reach the promised land of having CITY as a sustainable business with the revenues to achieve that we should get him a banner up in the stands as well

I judge from bushiness results - which is how he should be measured rather than the shallow stuff of occasional seeming 'gaffes' that the press (and unfortunately some fans) seem to leap upon...... as if such things are really important in the scheme of things - it is a bit like the sort of negativity for negativity s sake you get from people who just are naturally that way inclined
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Socrates » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:53 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:I think that he has already turned out to be our best 'signing' by a distance when you look at the progress we have made off the pitch - I just wonder how he fits it all in - must eat and sleep the job.....

If we do reach the promised land of having CITY as a sustainable business with the revenues to achieve that we should get him a banner up in the stands as well

I judge from bushiness results - which is how he should be measured rather than the shallow stuff of occasional seeming 'gaffes' that the press (and unfortunately some fans) seem to leap upon...... as if such things are really important in the scheme of things - it is a bit like the sort of negativity for negativity s sake you get from people who just are naturally that way inclined

Haven't seen much in way of him being bushy so far...
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Beeks » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:54 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:
I judge from business results - which is how he should be measured rather than the shallow stuff of occasional seeming 'gaffes' that the press (and unfortunately some fans) seem to leap upon...... as if such things are really important in the scheme of things - it is a bit like the sort of negativity for negativity s sake you get from people who just are naturally that way inclined

Surely as a business though your image is an integral part of people accepting your brand?

Do you not think Cookies outbursts were damaging to City with the negative publicity that followed?

I'm not anti Cookie...I quite like the guy to be honest...just playing devils advocate
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby sandman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:56 pm

I find most things he says cringeworthy, I wish he would stick to the marketing and leave football talk to football people.
sandman

Supporter of: City

Postby ant london » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:59 pm

I think he is quality.

Best Premiership CEO out there by quite some distance.

Like his sharp suits too ;-)
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby the_georgian_genius » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:03 pm

He is made for this club. Only a CEO at Manchester City would come out with the outbursts and comments he has come out with since he has been here.

I like him.
the_georgian_genius

Postby Alioune DVToure » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:03 pm

The guy's a chancer. He cares about his career, not the club per se. His arse is for rent (so to speak) and he'd be off to Chelsea a la Peter Kenyon if they offered him more money. He cares little about upsetting long-time season ticket holders such as myself. He sees City as his pet project, NOT his beloved team.

I can tolerate him and believe, looking at the fuller picture, that he probably does more good than harm. But I won't be shouting from the rooftops about how much I love him, because he gives not a fuck for me. Nor for you.

Can understand people being impressed with his work, but it baffles me when people appear to idolise him.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby mcfc1632 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:04 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:
I judge from business results - which is how he should be measured rather than the shallow stuff of occasional seeming 'gaffes' that the press (and unfortunately some fans) seem to leap upon...... as if such things are really important in the scheme of things - it is a bit like the sort of negativity for negativity s sake you get from people who just are naturally that way inclined

Surely as a business though your image is an integral part of people accepting your brand?

Do you not think Cookies outbursts were damaging to City with the negative publicity that followed?

I'm not anti Cookie...I quite like the guy to be honest...just playing devils advocate

No I absolutely do not think they were negative - entirely the opposite

Re Kaka - he told the truth and I would have been appalled if our CEO allowed another club to publicly rubbish us with lies - I was shocked at how fans on here thought he handled that wrongly - for me that is typical CITY mindset

Re talking us up in the states - well FFS he was there organising a pre-season tour - what the fuck is he supposed to - he is not exactly helped in promoting our brand by either a) our general history and world standing or b) our fans some of the time (I was very disappointed at the Valencia crowd) - he has to work hard to promote us - largely on his jack

Re the Rossler mistake - yes cock-up - but heh things can happen - we should be right behind him - if he does not succeed in a major way - the project fails
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby mcfc1632 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:06 pm

Socrates wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:I think that he has already turned out to be our best 'signing' by a distance when you look at the progress we have made off the pitch - I just wonder how he fits it all in - must eat and sleep the job.....

Socs- do you mean busy - or is there a joke in there? - and if you do - are you really serious - do not always know - and you know more than most the importance of increasing revenues
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby superkev8705 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:08 pm

Hes ruining football
superkev8705
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Carlitos Tevez

Postby gillie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:14 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:
Socrates wrote:

Socs- do you mean busy - or is there a joke in there? - and if you do - are you really serious - do not always know - and you know more than most the importance of increasing revenues

bushiness
Thats what he means lol.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Beeks » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:14 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:

Re Kaka - he told the truth and I would have been appalled if our CEO allowed another club to publicly rubbish us with lies - I was shocked at how fans on here thought he handled that wrongly - for me that is typical CITY mindset

Re talking us up in the states - well FFS he was there organising a pre-season tour - what the fuck is he supposed to - he is not exactly helped in promoting our brand by either a) our general history and world standing or b) our fans some of the time (I was very disappointed at the Valencia crowd) - he has to work hard to promote us - largely on his jack

Re the Rossler mistake - yes cock-up - but heh things can happen - we should be right behind him - if he does not succeed in a major way - the project fails

You are talking about your view as a City fan here

You can't tell me that to the outside world...those instances were not held in a negative light...because they were

Rival fans and the media still go on about 'bottlegate' even now whenever his name is mentioned
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby mcfc1632 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:15 pm

Quote: "I can tolerate him and believe, looking at the fuller picture, that he probably does more good than harm. But I won't be shouting from the rooftops about how much I love him, because he gives not a fuck for me. Nor for you.

Can understand people being impressed with his work, but it baffles me when people appear to idolise him."

-------------------------------------------

I do not think that he is someone you can personally idolise - I do not - but I idolise CITY

There is a connection to be made by all the fans of our club that was us now to be successful - The manager and players are important - but way beyond them Cook is important- we need his success or it will all just have been a ride and everyone will be laughing 'cos we failed

A vote / criticism etc against Cook is one against CITY - our bed is made and we should therefore be supporting him (IMO)
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:19 pm

sandman wrote:I find most things he says cringeworthy, I wish he would stick to the marketing and leave football talk to football people.

This.

Alioune DVToure wrote:The guy's a chancer. He cares about his career, not the club per se. His arse is for rent (so to speak) and he'd be off to Chelsea a la Peter Kenyon if they offered him more money. He cares little about upsetting long-time season ticket holders such as myself. He sees City as his pet project, NOT his beloved team.

I can tolerate him and believe, looking at the fuller picture, that he probably does more good than harm. But I won't be shouting from the rooftops about how much I love him, because he gives not a fuck for me. Nor for you.

Can understand people being impressed with his work, but it baffles me when people appear to idolise him.

And this.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Beeks » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:19 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:A vote / criticism etc against Cook is one against CITY - our bed is made and we should therefore be supporting him (IMO)

Whoah there!

That sounds like Carte Blanche

Noone is indispensable for the sake of the Club
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby mcfc1632 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:20 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:

You are talking about your view as a City fan here

You can't tell me that to the outside world...those instances were not held in a negative light...because they were

Rival fans and the media still go on about 'bottlegate' even now whenever his name is mentioned

Then you should put them right......

The media and fans of other clubs will react to CITY anyway - if not bottlegate it would have been the rubbishing based on what AC Milan said - we do need a siege mentality - not bringing our leader down by facile acceptance of the opinions of twats in the media
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby mcfc1632 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:24 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:A vote / criticism etc against Cook is one against CITY - our bed is made and we should therefore be supporting him (IMO)

Whoah there!

That sounds like Carte Blanche

Noone is indispensable for the sake of the Club

Ok - agreed - but therefore .... " an unnecessary or casual vote / criticism etc against Cook is one against CITY - our bed is made and we should therefore be supporting him (IMO)"

So far his business results are good - and that far outweighs peoples sensitivities (I do not mean yours)if they think that he should just keep quiet and not stick up for CITY - I personally applaud that
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby mcfc1632 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:26 pm

gillie wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:
Socrates wrote:

bushiness
Thats what he means lol.

Ha - comes of typing without my reading glasses on!
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum