Milner

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Milner

Postby citytilidie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:08 pm

Just saw his goal on MOTD - awesome!
It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't.
citytilidie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby CityGer » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:16 pm

citytilidie wrote:Just saw his goal on MOTD - awesome!

Some reception he got, considering.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby CitizenYank » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:26 pm

CityGer wrote:

I would agree with you. Trolling their boards and talking to their supporters, find quite a few fans are using terms like 'money-grubbing' and 'glory-seeking." They are more interested in the idea of getting Stephen Ireland and £25 sterling for him.

I'd be more concerned about Bob Bradley walking their pitch than Milner leaving. Everyone Yank breathed a sigh of relief when he quit the national job.
Never touch the clowns. Let the clowns touch you!
CitizenYank
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City, P Timbers

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:54 pm

CitizenYank wrote:
CityGer wrote:

I would agree with you. Trolling their boards and talking to their supporters, find quite a few fans are using terms like 'money-grubbing' and 'glory-seeking." They are more interested in the idea of getting Stephen Ireland and £25 sterling for him.

I'd be more concerned about Bob Bradley walking their pitch than Milner leaving. Everyone Yank breathed a sigh of relief when he quit the national job.

why? He did brilliant job with fairly poor national team. Some of you seem to bit overrate some of your players. Someone even mentioned here while back that we should sign Landon Donovan. Madness.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby CitizenYank » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:27 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
CitizenYank wrote:
CityGer wrote:

why? He did brilliant job with fairly poor national team. Some of you seem to bit overrate some of your players. Someone even mentioned here while back that we should sign Landon Donovan. Madness.

Bradley is a great squad selector and has done a good job of developing talent, but he follows the same midfield clogging tactics that every natural born American manager has used before him. The USMNT needs some a fresh foreign blood. The name Klinsmann comes to mind.

I mean 5 MIDFIELDERS!! Give me a fucking break we don't even have one quality striker if it wasn't for Davies!!!
CitizenYank
De Jong's Tackle

Postby ryanmjo » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:37 am

CitizenYank wrote:
CityGer wrote:

Bradley did not do a brilliant job with the national team. He did an average job. He made the same mistakes in 3 straight games, and Ghana finally punished him for it.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby CitizenYank » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:44 am

ryanmjo wrote:
CitizenYank wrote:
CityGer wrote:

Bradley did not do a brilliant job with the national team. He did an average job. He made the same mistakes in 3 straight games, and Ghana finally punished him for it.

Thank You!!
CitizenYank
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:56 am

ryanmjo wrote:
CitizenYank wrote:
CityGer wrote:

and you genuinely thought someone could've done better with that bunch of players. Wow.

I watched all usa games and was very impressed with way he had set team with very little talent. Klinsy will make you play 'good football' but as far as the results go, you'll probably do worse.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby bluej » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:40 am

CityGer wrote:

Perhaps you should start another thread on it.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Grob » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:47 am

bluej wrote:
CityGer wrote:

Perhaps you should start another thread on it.

[youtube]QL15Ya5fsgo[/youtube]
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby ryanmjo » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:39 pm

and you genuinely thought someone could've done better with that bunch of players. Wow.

I watched all usa games and was very impressed with way he had set team with very little talent. Klinsy will make you play 'good football' but as far as the results go, you'll probably do worse.

Yes, someone else clearly could have done better. In the England match, Ricardo Clark gets caught watching the ball, lets Gerrard in to score a goal. Against Slovenia, Robbie Findley is so ineffective that his biggest contribution is getting hit in the face with a shot and bizarrely earning a yellow card. So, come the knockout rounds against Ghana, what does Bradley do? He starts Ricardo Clark and Robbie Findley. What happens? Clark gives the ball away, the usa concedes a goal. Findley delivers one of the worst 45 minutes of the tournament up top. I watched the USA all through qualifying- all 16 fixtures. I understand that you watched them at the World Cup and everything, but Bradley failed to learn from or correct his mistakes through the whole cycle of qualifying, and at the World Cup as well.

I'm not claiming he's horrible, and I don't think Klinsmann is the answer for the USA either, but let's not deify the guy.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:50 pm

ryanmjo wrote:

Yes, someone else clearly could have done better. In the England match, Ricardo Clark gets caught watching the ball, lets Gerrard in to score a goal. Against Slovenia, Robbie Findley is so ineffective that his biggest contribution is getting hit in the face with a shot and bizarrely earning a yellow card. So, come the knockout rounds against Ghana, what does Bradley do? He starts Ricardo Clark and Robbie Findley. What happens? Clark gives the ball away, the usa concedes a goal. Findley delivers one of the worst 45 minutes of the tournament up top. I watched the USA all through qualifying- all 16 fixtures. I understand that you watched them at the World Cup and everything, but Bradley failed to learn from or correct his mistakes through the whole cycle of qualifying, and at the World Cup as well.

I'm not claiming he's horrible, and I don't think Klinsmann is the answer for the USA either, but let's not deify the guy.

Point is, who are Ricardo Clark and Robbie Findley?? And who would their replacements be? And how would they be any better in marking one of the best midfielders in the world?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ryanmjo » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:07 pm

ryanmjo wrote:

Point is, who are Ricardo Clark and Robbie Findley?? And who would their replacements be? And how would they be any better in marking one of the best midfielders in the world?

I understand what you are saying. If all he had was Rico Clark and Robbie Findley to work with, I'd be commending him. The thing is, he had better players than Clark and Findley, namely Maurice Edu and Benny Feilhaber (in more of a 4-4-1-1), and somehow he refused to see that until it was too late.

I'll be wishing Bob success at Villa if he gets the job, but I won't be sad to see him leaving the U.S.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Colin the King » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:10 pm

Having seen the way we set up yesterday, I'd be more inclined to think Milner would be a really valuable signing. There was nothing particularly wrong with the midfield, we passed tidily and didn't concede space in the centre, but there was too much grass that went uncovered. It was either Tevez and Silva 30 yards away from the midfield, or more often, both of them in midfield dropping deep with nothing up front. Milner offers the threat of grabbing the game by the scruff of its neck and driving the team forward, he's done it consistently well for Villa since signing and was Newcastle's most dangerous player before moving (no coincidence that he and Given leaving coincided with them going down).

He's not the classy perfectionist we saw in Ireland or Elano, for example, but what plagued both of them was being hot and cold, and therefore (Ireland's one season excepted) unreliable. He does everything well- tackling, passing, shooting, goalscoring, crossing, dribbling, tracking- and is exactly the guy to shorten the space between midfield and attack, because he's not afraid to charge forward with the ball, and on top of that, isn't afraid to have a crack. Sometimes we try to be too intricate in our build-up play.

I initially had reservations about spending so much on him, but it's the market and our reputation that dictates the cost- if we go elsewhere we'll be paying over the odds too, except with Gourcuff, for example, have no idea whether he'll fit in this league, and if he does, how long the process will take. Milner is pretty much guaranteed to hit the ground running and be influential. We have Silva as the little link-man and a multitude of defensively minded players, what we need is someone primarily attacking but with the heart and acceleration to get back when necessary, in other words, a consistent reliable Superman from 08/09. I think that's James Milner.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby The Man In Blue » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:17 pm

good post mate. he's a really effective all rounder, with a rare, valuable quality - a workrate to go with his talents. someone on here mentioned a few months back that milner's presence in the side would really help our away performances, what with his graft and consistency i totally agree with this. really want this deal to go through, sorry stevie.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby john@staustell » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:09 am

Someone posted another derogatory thread a while back about 'how exactly does Milner fit into this'? Or something.

Well it's clear that on Saturday he would've been right side midfield, instead of dear old SWP. And anyone who says it wouldn't have made a great improvement has serious issues!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Goaters 103 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:36 am

john@staustell wrote:Someone posted another derogatory thread a while back about 'how exactly does Milner fit into this'? Or something.

Well it's clear that on Saturday he would've been right side midfield, instead of dear old SWP. And anyone who says it wouldn't have made a great improvement has serious issues!

Correct. He would give us a genuine box to box midfielder that we lack.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mike J » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:40 am

john@staustell wrote:Someone posted another derogatory thread a while back about 'how exactly does Milner fit into this'? Or something.

completely agree. he would of been ideal for the spurs game. get this done asap.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Blue Blood » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:41 am

Has he signed yet?

Jeebus this one is dragging!
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Murph » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:41 am

Colin the King wrote:Having seen the way we set up yesterday, I'd be more inclined to think Milner would be a really valuable signing. There was nothing particularly wrong with the midfield, we passed tidily and didn't concede space in the centre, but there was too much grass that went uncovered. It was either Tevez and Silva 30 yards away from the midfield, or more often, both of them in midfield dropping deep with nothing up front. Milner offers the threat of grabbing the game by the scruff of its neck and driving the team forward, he's done it consistently well for Villa since signing and was Newcastle's most dangerous player before moving (no coincidence that he and Given leaving coincided with them going down).

He's not the classy perfectionist we saw in Ireland or Elano, for example, but what plagued both of them was being hot and cold, and therefore (Ireland's one season excepted) unreliable. He does everything well- tackling, passing, shooting, goalscoring, crossing, dribbling, tracking- and is exactly the guy to shorten the space between midfield and attack, because he's not afraid to charge forward with the ball, and on top of that, isn't afraid to have a crack. Sometimes we try to be too intricate in our build-up play.

I initially had reservations about spending so much on him, but it's the market and our reputation that dictates the cost- if we go elsewhere we'll be paying over the odds too, except with Gourcuff, for example, have no idea whether he'll fit in this league, and if he does, how long the process will take. Milner is pretty much guaranteed to hit the ground running and be influential. We have Silva as the little link-man and a multitude of defensively minded players, what we need is someone primarily attacking but with the heart and acceleration to get back when necessary, in other words, a consistent reliable Superman from 08/09. I think that's James Milner.

Sums up pretty much how I feel about signing Milner and what he will offer to us. I to was a bit dubious when I heard we were in for him but the more I have thought about it the more I'm convinced he's just the type of player we need.
"You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the fucl do you think you're talking to?"
Murph

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum