Milner

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Milner

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:49 am

I agree but I think that because he's so adaptable, he allows Mancini to tinker with the formation, so he could be central one minute, wide the next, wide on the other side, etc. The only worry for me is that we're losing pace in the midfield/attack by replacing the likes of SWP/Bellamy with Milner. He's a more intelligent footballer than SWP though & better defensively than Bellamy. Swings & roundabouts I suppose.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby avoidconfusion » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:04 pm

Colin the King wrote:Having seen the way we set up yesterday, I'd be more inclined to think Milner would be a really valuable signing. There was nothing particularly wrong with the midfield, we passed tidily and didn't concede space in the centre, but there was too much grass that went uncovered. It was either Tevez and Silva 30 yards away from the midfield, or more often, both of them in midfield dropping deep with nothing up front. Milner offers the threat of grabbing the game by the scruff of its neck and driving the team forward, he's done it consistently well for Villa since signing and was Newcastle's most dangerous player before moving (no coincidence that he and Given leaving coincided with them going down).

He's not the classy perfectionist we saw in Ireland or Elano, for example, but what plagued both of them was being hot and cold, and therefore (Ireland's one season excepted) unreliable. He does everything well- tackling, passing, shooting, goalscoring, crossing, dribbling, tracking- and is exactly the guy to shorten the space between midfield and attack, because he's not afraid to charge forward with the ball, and on top of that, isn't afraid to have a crack. Sometimes we try to be too intricate in our build-up play.

I initially had reservations about spending so much on him, but it's the market and our reputation that dictates the cost- if we go elsewhere we'll be paying over the odds too, except with Gourcuff, for example, have no idea whether he'll fit in this league, and if he does, how long the process will take. Milner is pretty much guaranteed to hit the ground running and be influential. We have Silva as the little link-man and a multitude of defensively minded players, what we need is someone primarily attacking but with the heart and acceleration to get back when necessary, in other words, a consistent reliable Superman from 08/09. I think that's James Milner.

Wholeheartedly agree. After the game against Spurs I couldn't help but think that Milner is actually exactly the type of player we are crying out for in midfield to partner Yaya.

And it's a shame that the deal might well be off now because Villa look like they are digging their heels in and want Ireland and not just a straight cash deal... plus I read that they actually named him in their squad for the Europa League... if he plays for them then I think the deal is dead in the water.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Mase » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:06 pm

Colin the King wrote:Having seen the way we set up yesterday, I'd be more inclined to think Milner would be a really valuable signing. There was nothing particularly wrong with the midfield, we passed tidily and didn't concede space in the centre, but there was too much grass that went uncovered. It was either Tevez and Silva 30 yards away from the midfield, or more often, both of them in midfield dropping deep with nothing up front. Milner offers the threat of grabbing the game by the scruff of its neck and driving the team forward, he's done it consistently well for Villa since signing and was Newcastle's most dangerous player before moving (no coincidence that he and Given leaving coincided with them going down).

He's not the classy perfectionist we saw in Ireland or Elano, for example, but what plagued both of them was being hot and cold, and therefore (Ireland's one season excepted) unreliable. He does everything well- tackling, passing, shooting, goalscoring, crossing, dribbling, tracking- and is exactly the guy to shorten the space between midfield and attack, because he's not afraid to charge forward with the ball, and on top of that, isn't afraid to have a crack. Sometimes we try to be too intricate in our build-up play.

I initially had reservations about spending so much on him, but it's the market and our reputation that dictates the cost- if we go elsewhere we'll be paying over the odds too, except with Gourcuff, for example, have no idea whether he'll fit in this league, and if he does, how long the process will take. Milner is pretty much guaranteed to hit the ground running and be influential. We have Silva as the little link-man and a multitude of defensively minded players, what we need is someone primarily attacking but with the heart and acceleration to get back when necessary, in other words, a consistent reliable Superman from 08/09. I think that's James Milner.

Quality post as usual and I have to agree.
At first I actually really didn't want Milner. Didn't think he was the type of player we needed at this time, however after Saturday he's just the type we need. We've got players who'll take the game by the scruff of the neck (De Jong) but with no real end product. Milner will do that and push forward still being able to cover the ground to get back.

Get him in ASAP I say.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Beeks » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:52 pm

Is this guy signing or not?

Been like pulling teeth our transfers this summer
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:27 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Is this guy signing or not?

You're spending too much time on Bluemoon..
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby superkev8705 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:31 pm

We should set them a deadline and stick to it. If he is not ours by then then pull out. I just have this horrible feeling that they are going to be complete arses and play him in Europe on Thursday. I guess if he dosent play in that one then its a significant step forward for us.
superkev8705
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Carlitos Tevez

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:33 pm

best post i have read in while in terms of analysis of Milners game. i would only add that it is quite possible that he would also move up a gear at City with the quality of players around him. This remains to be seen obviously but you could probably put a fairly safe bet on it as he is starting off as a proven performer in the Prem.. so give him an extra 5 to 10% because of who is around him and what do you see?
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby avoidconfusion » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:44 pm

superkev8705 wrote:We should set them a deadline and stick to it. If he is not ours by then then pull out. I just have this horrible feeling that they are going to be complete arses and play him in Europe on Thursday. I guess if he dosent play in that one then its a significant step forward for us.

I have the same feeling. And I hope that we tell them to go fuck themselves if they do that and go for him again next summer or better yet for someone else.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby ryanmjo » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:48 pm

john@staustell wrote:Someone posted another derogatory thread a while back about 'how exactly does Milner fit into this'? Or something.

Well it's clear that on Saturday he would've been right side midfield, instead of dear old SWP. And anyone who says it wouldn't have made a great improvement has serious issues!

I'd rather have Adam Johnson there myself, but good point.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Beeks » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:55 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Is this guy signing or not?

You're spending too much time on Bluemoon..

Are you ITK?!
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby john@staustell » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:29 pm

ryanmjo wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Someone posted another derogatory thread a while back about 'how exactly does Milner fit into this'? Or something.

Well it's clear that on Saturday he would've been right side midfield, instead of dear old SWP. And anyone who says it wouldn't have made a great improvement has serious issues!

I'd rather have Adam Johnson there myself, but good point.

I could understand why AJ wasn't in, because of the Spurs threat down our own flanks. Bobby probably thought SWP would do a better job defensively. Clearly however Milner would've been a better bet IN THIS CASE.

Would expect AJ to unleash his talents on the Dippers.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Mase » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:45 pm

john@staustell wrote:
Bobby probably thought SWP would do a better job defensively. Clearly however Milner would've been a better bet IN THIS CASE.

I'm also sure that if Milner had been put through one-on-one with their keeper he would have at least got a shot in instead of dicking about with the ball.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum