So, how do you feel?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: So, how do you feel?

Postby Colin the King » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:36 am

Sorry about the length of this, I'm not very good at summarising!

I think the assertion that we were downright awful today (not a common view here but some of the pundits seem to think so) is lunacy- the reality, objectively, is we were too restricted and inviting of pressure in the first half, posed no attacking threat and looked off the pace in comparison to Spurs, who pressed and pushed relentlessly- but we improved and started to dictate play in the second half as they (inevitably) tired and probably had the most clear cut chance of the half with SWP.

To say City were rubbish... "except Hart, the back four and two of the midfielders" (again, not quoting anyone specifically) is a bit of a contradiction in terms, no? We weren't ambitious enough in attack, clearly, and could have paid the price, but defensively (bar Micah) and in midfield I think we looked alright. I just find it hard to criticise the midfield today, Touré and Barry had their heads up but the options weren't there because Tevez and Silva, most of the time, were standing beside them in midfield with nothing other than a big field of grass to aim at, which demonstrates just how much:

We need a true striker- not caveman tactics- just someone who's willing to stay up front and leave the dropping off to others. It's one thing playing with fluidity but if everyone's doing it at the same time, uncoordinated, it becomes the opposite- a trainwreck. Whether that's Adebayor (could be if he wasn't so intent on drifting out wide) or possibly Balotelli, we just desperately need a focal point. Look at Drogba as the obvious, but perfect example. Leaving the goalscoring aside, it's everything he offers- their midfield know that if the intricate ball isn't happening, he's there to hold it and lay off or if they drop it up and over he'll chase down the middle and create a chance. We didn't have those options because Tevez, Silva and SWP, for all their endeavours, don't have the physicality to deal with burly centre halves, and they never will. Perhaps that kind of a system would work well at home, where we're constantly attacking and dictating, but we so badly needed a physical presence today, and will do in most of our away trips.

Basically, though, I'm taking more positives from this game than negatives, partly on the basis that we're clearly not at full fitness yet, partly because Spurs are a fucking good side, well drilled and familiar with one another, who lest we forget are one of the current 'top four' and partly because last season our defence never looked like a cohesive unit; The central trio of Hart, Touré and Kompany were fantastic today, there was understanding and determination in abundance and I see no reason to believe it was a fluke.

If we have a solid base of a defence in place, it'll make putting the attacking pieces together an awful lot easier. We can experiment with players and systems going forward to see what works best but that's really not something you can do with a back four (a lesson fatally learnt by Hughes). With increased fitness, the players we saw will get better, add to that the fact that we won't be facing sides like Spurs on their turf on a weekly basis- that was one of the toughest games of the season, in a place we traditionally get nothing from, and we've come out with a respectable point and clean sheet.

Not salivating, but optimistic.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby simon12 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:50 am

Happy with a point, I`d`ve taken a point at 12:30. Sort the right hand side out and I`ll be a lot happier.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:06 am

A little tired today. Thanks for asking ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:24 am

I have mixed feeling, happiness at a point against a very good side, but slightly concerned to see that many of the issues that pervaded our play last season have continued.

1. SWP, good to see he has continued where he left off last season. Time to stop the excuses here, he is caught in possession, runs when he should pass, and passes when he should run. I don't understand what has happened to him over the last 12 months, but frankly, he looks like an 18 year old kid, exposed, and completely out of his depth.

2. This defensive midfield situation, I agree that we needed some steel in midfield for this type of game, but it was tantamount to setting out to draw the game, and as per last season showing zero ambition of winning it.

3. Up front, if we are going to setup to play for 0-0, I don't see the sense in playing any forwards. We may as well play another two defensive midfielders.

4. Micah Richards, he shows one game of promise, then seems completely unable to pass to his own man in the next game. If the penny hasn't dropped for him yet, how long do we keep waiting for him to stop playing like Titus fucking Bramble before we realise the inevitable and get shut. I think we sent the wrong player out on loan to Sunderland.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum