If you were a Villa fan

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

If you were a Villa fan

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:55 am

What would your view be on the future and direction of the club?
Would you look at O'Neill's sacking as a clear indicator that there was a problem with cash and that the future wasn't quite as rosy as you'd believed having established yourselves as a top 4 contender?
Or would you believe the word out of the club that there was still ambition, but it was taking a different route to how O'Neill wanted to go about it?
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Re: If you were a Villa fan

Postby Wooders » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:10 pm

green and gold until its sold !
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:11 pm

I'd believe that MON had done a twitchy on me and that my American owner is skint. I'd also believe that Wolves were going to do the double over us this season. A couple seasons in the shit but then hope to bounce back strong with a different feel. And maybe better financial platform for success.

They won't get any better than they were with MON in a long time i don't think. Could be decades before they have the same success.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:21 pm

So we can discount them from the running for the Chumps League? It's the Sky 4, us and Spuds to fight it out?
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby edgeley blue » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:41 pm

Been on heroes and villians forum and most Villa fans dont seem to be too bothered about mon going, they are more pissed off with the fact they think the reason for his departure is that they have to sell Milner and Young and not be able to spend the money on replacements. For what its worth I've always liked Villa and hope they do well next season, not as well as us obviously but maybe win a cup for Dunnie.
edgeley blue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Doyle

Postby salford city » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:52 pm

Id be thinking that the owner was pulling in wallet strings and that for the forseeable, we'd be losing assets should anyone come in with a bid. Added to that, the money recouped would not all be re-invested into the squad. There will be troubled times ahead with prospective managers aware that money is tight and that limits the managers who will want the job
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby avoidconfusion » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:52 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:So we can discount them from the running for the Chumps League? It's the Sky 4, us and Spuds to fight it out?

I bet Everton will be there as well.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby walmai » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:56 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:So we can discount them from the running for the Chumps League? It's the Sky 4, us and Spuds to fight it out?

Everton are in with a shout at that, given their incredible form from about Christmas onwards.

I reckon in fact they are more of a danger to you than Spurs (unless Young Boys don't, ahem, lay down for them).
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby Esky » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:11 pm

Talking to a Villa fan at work today and he wasn't too fussed by it. Said for all the conjecture about Lerner pocketing money, O'Neill's pissed away so much of what he's been given on players who just sit on the bench or aren't up to scratch.

Could say that for most managers though.
Esky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:33 pm

If I were a Villa fan, I would probably be thinking that MON was given a lot of resources to get into the top 4 over the past 3 seasons, and has been supported with pretty much everything he wanted (maybe aside from Barry leaving).

In 3 years, whilst hoovering up some of the best home grown talent like Milner, Young, Dunne to add to what he already had there, he has qualified for Europe 3 times, but in reality he has not moved forward since his first season.

The stark reality is that City, Liverpool, Tottenham and Everton represent a significant barrier to them ever getting to that next level, or for that matter even finishing top 6 next year. Given all the money has been spent in the previous 3 years in pursuit of the CL, if the coffers are now empty, to some extent that means MON failed with the money he spent. If they can't realistically expect to get to that next level with the personnel they now have, there is little point keeping the highly paid and expensive players on the books.

MON took the wage spend upto 83%, which is clearly unsustainable - had he been given more money, he would simply have been running them down a blind alley in terms of the financial fair play situation, and particularly given that the odds would have still be stacked against them for CL qualification, even with 3/4 top quality additions.

They might as well cash in to the tune of upto £50m for Young and Milner and try to build it up again over the next few years. MON obviously didnt want to be a part of that process.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:03 pm

walmai wrote:

Everton are in with a shout at that, given their incredible form from about Christmas onwards.

I reckon in fact they are more of a danger to you than Spurs (unless Young Boys don't, ahem, lay down for them).

i agree with that. Everton have lost little, have no CL distraction and i rate Moyes higher than i rate Twitchy to get a great response from that team. Everton could really surprise folks this season. Stable, focused and capable of dealing out some death blows to good teams.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:13 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
walmai wrote:

i agree with that. Everton have lost little, have no CL distraction and i rate Moyes higher than i rate Twitchy to get a great response from that team. Everton could really surprise folks this season. Stable, focused and capable of dealing out some death blows to good teams.

cheers

They could also lose their 1st 5 games & be in the bottom 4. They seem to do that every so often & won't have us to use a an excuse if it happens this time.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby john@staustell » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:10 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
walmai wrote:

cheers

They could also lose their 1st 5 games & be in the bottom 4. They seem to do that every so often & won't have us to use a an excuse if it happens this time.

Absolutely right. Could go either way. Life is never dull for toffees fans.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Florida Blue » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:47 pm

If they had just put Elvis Costello on the sideline would anyone have noticed the difference?
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby cdncityfan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:55 pm

I would be disappointed, but not suprised. Outside of us, everyone has been controlling expenses and selling when a good bid comes in. Martin O'Neill is a good manager, but the long term health of the club has to come before any particular manager's project.
Manchester City FC: the class of the Premier League!
cdncityfan
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Rangers / City
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:55 pm

I know Everton are no pushovers and are a half decent outfit, but as we always hear, if you aren't investing in the team you are going backwards. They haven't bought anybody of significance and will be susceptible to injury/suspension over the course of the season. I'm not sure they can cope with them.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby The Man In Blue » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:57 pm

i'd be worried. pretty fucking worried. remember all that shite about how fucked we were immediately prior to the abu dhabi takeover? i remember feeling absolutely sick to my stomach at some of the financial doom forecasts that were being made about us. obviously villa are not at that stage but something is not right at that club at all.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby irblinx » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:08 pm

I think it's hilarious how all of a sudden MON is a mug and Villa are skint. The media have been holding Villa up as a example on how a club should be run and MON as the best thing since sliced bread for a couple of years now, they are certainly quick to change their tune :-). They will have to stick with Everton as their flag bearers now
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby walmai » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:01 pm

Florida Blue wrote:If they had just put Elvis Costello on the sideline would anyone have noticed the difference?

Watching the defectives?
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby Green & Blue » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:17 am

On one hand i would be thinking we are about to cash in on our major assets and MON hit the road in disgust as he does not want to manage a team on the decline with no ambition.On the other hand i would think the club has no ambition and was about to cash in on our major assets and MON did not want to stick around for the struggle.

More seriously i would be pretty upset to loose a quality manager who seemed to be getting the best from a thread bare squad.The biggest problem for Villa has been the lack of strength in depth.It must be worrying, if i supported them i would be in hope that they can consolidate what they have achieved under O'Neill and get europe again next seasonThats the best they can hope for but if they lose Milner and Young they will effectively lose the creative spark in the side.Would take some miracle signings to replace them.
A quality manager has to be the main concern.However who will want to take the reigns at a club the previous manager walked from due to the direction the club was going not fulfilling his ambitions.
I've heard Steve Staunton is out of work.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

My favourite player is: David Silva

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum