Thursdays Rag Post Of The Day

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Thursdays Rag Post Of The Day

Postby Beeks » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:53 am

RAG1: Though various people here have already made a lot of really good points, I'm still not certain which way it'll go. I still think they could finish above us, but I'm not sure if they will this season. They've obviously got the makings of a top side, especially in attack, with Adebayor, Tevez, Silva etc. Adebayor and Tevez played well together last season, and Silva's obviously a good creator from the wing, which means they'll probably manage to break down weaker opposition better than they did at times last year (like when they had 7 draws in succession). They've also strengthened in defence, and Kolarov and Toure are both proven, solid defenders in major European leagues.

I'm still not convinced it'll work for them though. Every side that spends as much as they do, especially on wages for the new recruits, will take time to gel, and will probably have instability, with good, seasoned pro's warming the bench (like Santa Cruz), and the need to try and rotate to keep everyone happy. Plus the fact that they're gaining a reputation as one of the sides to beat, and everyone's going to be really up for beating City. They'll probably, sadly, overtake us in the league at some point, if they can bring in big name players and develop their squad, whilst we're relegated to buying more modest names, and the club's finances are going down the shitter, but if they're buying players of the likes of Kolo Toure, and we're bringing in Chris Smalling (a decent, but unspectacular defender), they'll probably overtake us sometime.

We're not really off the boil or anything, and in Rooney, Evra, Fletcher, and others, we have some superb players, and play well as a team. But if we can't re-invest to replace players who are retiring, such as Giggs and Scholes soon will, and the perma-injured like Hargreaves and Rio, then we'll struggle to keep our dominance over a City side with limitless finances, and a financial draw for some very skillfull footballing mercenaries.

[strike]WAG[/strike] RAG OF THE DAY

Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Re: Thursdays Rag Post Of The Day

Postby halnone » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:32 pm

with good, seasoned pro's warming the bench (like Santa Cruz)

When did he become a good seasoned pro?
halnone
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Alioune DVToure » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:47 pm

There's not a word of that post that I could take issue with. I've never met such a philosophical mune in the flesh.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby saulman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:49 pm

RAG1 wrote:Though various people here have already made a lot of really good points, I'm still not certain which way it'll go. I still think they could finish above us, but I'm not sure if they will this season. They've obviously got the makings of a top side, especially in attack, with Adebayor, Tevez, Silva etc. Adebayor and Tevez played well together last season, and Silva's obviously a good creator from the wing, which means they'll probably manage to break down weaker opposition better than they did at times last year (like when they had 7 draws in succession). They've also strengthened in defence, and Kolarov and Toure are both proven, solid defenders in major European leagues.

I'm still not convinced it'll work for them though. Every side that spends as much as they do, especially on wages for the new recruits, will take time to gel, and will probably have instability, with good, seasoned pro's warming the bench (like Santa Cruz), and the need to try and rotate to keep everyone happy. Plus the fact that they're gaining a reputation as one of the sides to beat, and everyone's going to be really up for beating City. They'll probably, sadly, overtake us in the league at some point, if they can bring in big name players and develop their squad, whilst we're relegated to buying more modest names, and the club's finances are going down the shitter, but if they're buying players of the likes of Kolo Toure, and we're bringing in Chris Smalling (a decent, but unspectacular defender), they'll probably overtake us sometime.

We're not really off the boil or anything, and in Rooney, Evra, Fletcher, and others, we have some superb players, and play well as a team. But if we can't re-invest to replace players who are retiring, such as Giggs and Scholes soon will, and the perma-injured like Hargreaves and Rio, then we'll struggle to keep our dominance over a City side with limitless finances, and a financial draw for some very skillfull footballing mercenaries.

Good post.
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Return to The Maine Football forum