The first 6 games - a great insight into attacking mentality

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The first 6 games - a great insight into attacking mentality

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:41 pm

I'm glad of the teams we play at the start of the campaign as it will give me an early insight into my second biggest concern over Mancini - that of being scared stiff of playing the teams at the top end of the table.

If he has a different mentality to last year's "9 men in our 18 yard box and Tevez on the half way line" tactic then I'll be much happier.

We play a good mixture of top teams and poor teams which will tell us after 6 games if the mentality has changed:
  • Spurs - (I actually want to beat Spurs more than any other team this year by a long way)
  • Liverpool
  • Sunderland
  • Blackburn
  • Wigan
  • Chelsea
Last season versus the top teams:
  • Everton - Lost 2-0
  • Liverpool - Drew 0-0
  • Chelsea - Won 2-4
  • Everton - Lost 0-2
  • United - Lost 0-1
  • Arsenal - Drew 0-0
  • Villa - Won 3-1
  • Spurs - Lost 0-1

We didn't score in 6 out of 8 games due to the overally cautious tactics.

I'm looking forward to watching his players attack and look to try and dominate the midfield (Yaya please do the job!) in all of those 6 opening games and not just against Sunderland and Blackburn. Whether we win them is another matter but I hope we at least try to and for that I would be happy.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Re: The first 6 games - a great insight into attacking mentality

Postby The Man In Blue » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:47 pm

good post mate.

said something similar when i saw the first two games - which for any team in the prem would be a tough couple of opening fixtures - it will be nice to have a big test right from the off. iirc last season we started with blackburn away (shite), wolves home (shite) and portsmouth away (shite). there's nowhere to hide this time round and i am glad of that.

put it this way - if the first few games go the same as last year's results wise we will be fucking laughing and i also believe results against two top sides (well one top side and the dippers), right from the off, will go a long way towards getting the team to gel and building some spirit.
The Man In Blue

Postby Lev Bronstein » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:02 pm

To be honest, I can see us having a slow start as the team work to gel. I also think Bobby has seen our main fault as being giving away soft goals, so I think he'll be cautious at first trying from to make sure we don't present gifts to the opposition. Once the defence is sorted I expact us to have a more attacking mindset albeit from a strong defensive platform.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby the_georgian_genius » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:07 pm

I don't think he has a choice to be attacking against the top sides last year. We won at Chelsea because we were excellent in defence and then broke 4 times. We didn't win against the other sides because that tactic didn't come off.

This year will be different, anyone who saw his Inter sides will see he wasn't the typical stereotypical italian manager and his signings this year comfirm that.
the_georgian_genius

Postby BlueinBosnia » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:09 pm

This is one of my biggest fears of him being at the helm, too. We could, potentially, be rooted near the bottom of the table with one point after 3 games. On the other hand, we could have a 100% record, and be at least 3 points ahead of two of our perceived 'direct competitors'.

Mancini hasn't impressed me on this front in all honesty. Yes, he can get results against the lower clubs which we weren't getting under Hughes at times, but he also stifles the team when we're ahead, and plays over-cautiously against the 'big boys' (the reason we both scored only one and also conceded one in 14 minutes against a 9-man Chelsea at Stamford Bridge last season).

Here's my opinions of potential results, Mancini-style (first) and squad potential (second). City scores first.

• Spurs 0-1, 3-1
  • Liverpool 0-0, 4-1
  • Sunderland 1-0, 4-0
  • Blackburn 2-1, 5-0
  • Wigan 1-0, 2-0
  • Chelsea 0-2, 2-1

On paper, I think we could win all 6. I reckon, though, we'll be on 10 points after 6 games if Mancini adopts the same attitude as last season.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby The Man In Blue » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:10 pm

Lev Bronstein wrote:I also think Bobby has seen our main fault as being giving away soft goals, so I think he'll be cautious at first trying from to make sure we don't present gifts to the opposition.

surely that's down to the individual players though? and looking at the fact that our three main centre halves from last season (Kolo, Vinnie, Lescott) are all looking like keeping their spots in the squad how do you propose this problem is addressed? we can work at defending as a unit all we want but it all goes out the fucking window when kolo has one of his "moments".
Last edited by The Man In Blue on Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Man In Blue

Postby Kladze » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:11 pm

Lev Bronstein wrote:To be honest, I can see us having a slow start as the team work to gel. I also think Bobby has seen our main fault as being giving away soft goals, so I think he'll be cautious at first trying from to make sure we don't present gifts to the opposition. Once the defence is sorted I expact us to have a more attacking mindset albeit from a strong defensive platform.

I agree.

It's something of a myth that winning titles is the spawn of scoring lots of goals when it's actually borne of conceding few.
For the record, I believe that Mancini's team will eventually play attacking football and score plenty, but that will come only after he is absolutely convinced we can defend well.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:16 pm

Kladze wrote:
Lev Bronstein wrote:To be honest, I can see us having a slow start as the team work to gel. I also think Bobby has seen our main fault as being giving away soft goals, so I think he'll be cautious at first trying from to make sure we don't present gifts to the opposition. Once the defence is sorted I expact us to have a more attacking mindset albeit from a strong defensive platform.

I agree.

It's something of a myth that winning titles is the spawn of scoring lots of goals when it's actually borne of conceding few.
For the record, I believe that Mancini's team will eventually play attacking football and score plenty, but that will come only after he is absolutely convinced we can defend well.

I'm absolutely positive about this.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Slim » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:23 pm

Svensational wrote:
MaineRoadMemories wrote:Last season versus the top teams:
  • Everton - Lost 2-0
  • Liverpool - Drew 0-0
  • Chelsea - Won 2-4
  • Everton - Lost 0-2
  • U***d - Lost 0-1
  • Arsenal - Drew 0-0
  • Villa - Won 3-1
  • Spurs - Lost 0-1

You've put on both Everton results home and away but not the rest?

They were Mancini's results, he left out Hughes contribution.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby avoidconfusion » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:35 pm

I don't think we will kick off the season with, what, 5 wins in a row like we did last season. I think the start will be very slow as there was literally almost no time to work with the full team so far.

I hope to god though that Mancini, now that he has HIS players in, changes the way he approaches games because I got quite sick of this over cautious approach which got us nothing.

I wouldn't mind playing cautious if it meant we win, but last season we didn't win most of the time.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Slim » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:45 pm

Svensational wrote:
Slim wrote:
Svensational wrote:
  • Everton - Lost 2-0
  • Liverpool - Drew 0-0
  • Chelsea - Won 2-4
  • Everton - Lost 0-2
  • U***d - Lost 0-1
  • Arsenal - Drew 0-0
  • Villa - Won 3-1
  • Spurs - Lost 0-1

Ah of course. Long time no speak Slimithy x

Yeah mate, I have been keeping up via Mum on your Ellie though, she is gorgeous, obviously she took most of the Ranson genes in that department.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Slim wrote:
Svensational wrote:
Slim wrote:
Svensational wrote:
  • Everton - Lost 2-0
  • Liverpool - Drew 0-0
  • Chelsea - Won 2-4
  • Everton - Lost 0-2
  • U***d - Lost 0-1
  • Arsenal - Drew 0-0
  • Villa - Won 3-1
  • Spurs - Lost 0-1

Ah of course. Long time no speak Slimithy x

Yeah mate, I have been keeping up via Mum on your Ellie though, she is gorgeous, obviously she took most of the Ranson genes in that department.

finally...i thought you'd softened up/got bored, etc.

related to the topic...i think Yaya is our key to balance this season. he can do a lot of things which can help defensively and press forward as well and i believe as he goes, we'll go. Excited to see how the setup is for Spurs. i think we'll still see De Jong in the midfield as well, which i'm cool with too.

i think Grob has it right in the other thread about who the starting XI are...it's pretty much the starting squad from Valencia bar injuries or some last minute "something." And i think that would be a positive side to send out to show our attacking intent, whilst also hedging our bets a little bit with Dejong, Barry and Yaya with Silva at the top of a midfield diamond.

Good times.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:42 pm

I would expect us to be fairly cautious v Spurs as we've not bothered to do much work on organising the defence in the pre season games, so may have to protect it. I'd be happy with a point. If we're also cautious v Liverpool though, I expect us to lose probably via Torres at a set piece.

After the 1st couple of games we need to be starting to attack or we'll lose ground in the same way as we did with the draws last season & will be in danger of wasting two seasons. Also if we play too much boring football from early in the season we wil lose the 'feelgood factor' fom the supporters & the atmosphere will disappear. We need to be positive as soon as possible to set down a marker & give the fans something to believe in.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Grob » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:20 pm

When Milner gets here, with him and Yaya we will have much stronger options in midfield. Yayas pressence inparticular will add a whole new dimension.

I think away from home we should build the team around Yaya and Carlos and at home, build it around Carlos and Silva.

Stick with those principles and I think we'll see results and some pretty good football both home and away.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:40 pm

Well one game down; five to go. But playing Tevez up front on his own again has annoyed me.

Game fact: Spurs had 8 Shots on Target City had just 2 :-(

Lets destroy Liverpool a week on Monday City and play to win!
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Grob » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:50 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:Well one game down; five to go. But playing Tevez up front on his own again has annoyed me.

Game fact: Spurs had 8 Shots on Target City had just 2 :-(

Lets destroy Liverpool a week on Monday City and play to win!

Mancini aired on the side of caution due to the team being far from the cohesive unit they will be after playing together for a few weeks.

Spurs are a good team too you know, on their own patch they are to be respected. Remember what happened last season?
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Return to The Maine Football forum