Look MCF.net I Was In NY!

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Look MCF.net I Was In NY!

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:44 pm

Hi Gents (and Fu) hope you are all good, the site's looking well.

I'm sure none of you remember this competition run by this very site a few month ago but I do because, by some utter fluke, I managed to Lawro (that's right, he's a verb now) my way to the prize.

Anyway, today's the day I've returned from what have been the greatest 5 days of my life. I can't begin to tell you how much joy this spectacular gift has given me.

I won't bore you with stories of how I've eaten enough pizza and ice cream to fill the Hudson River or how, after countless hours of tutorials by the locals, I still can't even fathom the most basic rules of baseball, because I'm sure you don't want to hear it.

I'll just get to the subject matter - though there are two disclaimers 1) I didn't make it to the Lisbon game & 2) due to my atrocious technological skills photos are scarce (who knew you have to charge up cameras?!)

My first taste of City in The Big Apple came just as I arrived in Manhattan late evening. Whilst checking out the parking job on a white transit I noticed a familiar site in the foreground:

These little welcome signs were on bus shelters all over the city. To be honest I wasn't quite sure if I "Abu Dhabi Travellers Welcome" really referred to me, but it was just nice to see a the badge dotted around the place.

I'm hoping one of our resident photoshop experts could rustle me something up with the above image and something to do with NY for a new avatar? Old Bob's looking a bit bored of my ramblings now. Thanks.

On the second day I ventured to The Mad Hatter Pub on 3rd. This is, officially, the hottest place on the face of the earth. As my dad doesn't really drink I wondered in alone, but soon got talking to a few Blues wearing the shirt outside. These guys were American (though I can't really remember from where) and had flown for hours to see City for their first time that night.

I told them about the competition I'd won and tried to spread the word of MCF.net. It was about this time that they said they have to leave. I had a few more in The Hatter before visiting a friend I'd not seen since Uni and dragging her to the pub to watch the game, I couldn't help feel a little sorry for the two gents who witnessed that performance as their first live one.

The Hatter was a great place and I'd highly recommend visiting if you're ever over, I've yet to decide whether us having our own little place in the centre of New York is a little indie or is actually another cog in the machine of our genuine global domination.

You'll be glad to know it wasn't all just fun for me, and on the Sunday I did actually manage to make it to the 'double-header' at the New York Red Bulls Arena. The Arena is actually in another state, so the trip from NY took us about an hour. After speaking to a NYRB fan on the subway after the match he told me that there would never be enough US interest in football for a stadium to be put in NY.

You might just be able to make out the stadium there in the background. It reminded me of a smaller, metalier, less concrete Eastlands. Especially with the developing landscape surrounding it.

Once inside the fans around me seemed disinterested in the football. The concourse queues were constant whereas the stadium was always half empty.

The organisers did their best to liven things up but unfortunately this was by playing little musical skits after shots or saves made by the RBs.

I've not really looked through the match thread on here, but I can pretty much imagine what it'll say. Adding my own views now so far after would seem daft as I'm sure many of you have saw the game. One thing I would say is that although the City (and, to be fair Tottenham) fans were in fine voice, the players seemed to reciprocate the lacklustre of the event.

A quick mention to anyone who was also in the subway queue after the match, I imagine some of you must still be there.

Apologies too to DoomMerchant, I have only just got access to a computer today and didn't read you message. Give me a shout when your hear and I'm sure we can talk at great lengths whether 77 or Remain in Light is the more seminal record then.

Thank you to the kind sponsor of this trip, your kindness is greatly appreciated.

Finally thanks especially to the uber-patient King Kev who must've dreaded switching his computer on the amount of times I've pestered him in recent months. Your help was fantastic.

Thanks for reading, due to my terrible fear of flying I've not slept for over 30 hours now so I bid you good day!

Last edited by LookMumImOnMCF.net on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Re: LookMCF.netIWasInNY!

Postby andeez nutz » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:54 pm

cheers mate, i was at the sporting game and you didnt miss anything.

i did manage to get myself on TV just after the 2nd goal was scored.. i was looking pretty upset and they just kept the camera on me.
it was way too hot for a football game anyway.

i met some nice blues and a father-son from Manchester that was on holiday in NY.
we had some good conversation talking shite on Jo primarily.

i took some pictures, i'll try to get them on here later today but a lot of them didnt turn out that good.
i was in the third row, so i got to see Micah Richards a bit during the first half.
and when Boyata was warming up during the second half, he seemed very suprised that some yank in the crowd new his name.
andeez nutz
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: johnson

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:10 pm

i had a good weekend. Some cunt stole my camera from the Mad Hatter on Friday night about 3 AM , and it didnt ruin the weekend for me, but it did force me to not go back there rest of the weekend, which was a shame since i met some really fantastic blues there whom i didnt get any contact info from.

Regardless, a couple shit matches, some good times talking City over pints, saw some old friends in NYC that i hadn't seen in ages as well. i thought the "red bull arena" was pretty ok to be honest. Some sight lines were for shit, but...all in all i was more impressed than umimpressed.

Bmore this weekend for Inter...anyone going PM me and lemme know where we should meetup. Looks like Slaintes or something downtown is the pub according to that guy on the OS vid, right?

cheers, and next time LookMum...
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby mr_nool » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:12 pm

Nice report Carl! Envious as hell!
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:23 pm

Cheers for that mate, wish i could of been there
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby andeez nutz » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:33 pm

i remember Bmore Blue or another blue from around there saying Slainte was a good pub to watch the matches at..
so that is probably your best bet.
wish i could go to the Baltimore game, but I have to head out to shittsburgh for a damn wedding.
andeez nutz
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: johnson

Postby blootoof » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:58 pm

What stadium?
blootoof
De Jong's Tackle

Postby ruralblue » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:00 pm

Quite some fucking place isn't it LookMum! (not that I would go back far too busy for me). Your bang on about the Mad Hatter bar, it's quite cool place. I enjoyed sitting watching the game in front of the open windows at the front. Good company in their too (not to mention the lass that owns it).

Glad you've had a good time.

rural
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:14 pm

blootoof wrote:What stadium?

I wondered whether the joke was too subtle. Either you're winding me up or you got it, which makes me a happy chappy.

DM: I apologise again, though we're planning a coast to coast roadtrip of the US next year, I might catch up then. Btw, can you tell me what those steam funnels coming out of the roads of NY are? Also how much is one dime? Anyone can answer me this!

Rural: Yeah it's actually a bit depressing coming back. I loved it though you're right about it being a bit clostra.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wooders » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:09 pm

brilliant report and mercifully wasn't bogged down with photos - also delighted to see you and doom are talking heads fans
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Re: Look MCF.net I Was In NY!

Postby dazby » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:54 pm

Lookmum, are you saying you met none of the US contingent?
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:00 pm

dazby wrote:Lookmum, are you saying you met none of the US contingent?

In a word, yes.

Though in fairness I also didn't doss at their houses all day either ; )
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Typical City » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:11 am

blootoof wrote:Image

What stadium?

That fat bird is blocking it out.
Typical City
Robinho's Step Over

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:07 am

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:
dazby wrote:Lookmum, are you saying you met none of the US contingent?

In a word, yes.

Though in fairness I also didn't doss at their houses all day either ; )

Aussies on "tour", etc. It's genetical.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby dazby » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:30 am

It's the only way to travel.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Chinners » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:41 am

Good work LookMum, seems you had a blast.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby mr_nool » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:07 am

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:
blootoof wrote:What stadium?

I wondered whether the joke was too subtle. Either you're winding me up or you got it, which makes me a happy chappy.

DM: I apologise again, though we're planning a coast to coast roadtrip of the US next year, I might catch up then. Btw, can you tell me what those steam funnels coming out of the roads of NY are? Also how much is one dime? Anyone can answer me this!

Rural: Yeah it's actually a bit depressing coming back. I loved it though you're right about it being a bit clostra.

With the risk of you being ironic and me moronic:

A dime bag is ten dollars worth of weed. A dime is a tenth of a dollar.

NY's district heating is actually steam based. The steam clouds coming out of the roads, though, is just when water hits the hot steam pipes and evaporates.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:29 am

Sounds like a belting trip LOOKY.
Good write up,no bollocks just the guts. Good man.

Im planning on visiting the big Apple in the next few years,looks a top place.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby King Kev » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:14 pm

A great write up and well worth the wait. Although I have to say I was a bit concerned to read
tried to spread the word of MCF.net. It was about this time that they said they have to leave.
What the fucl were you saying to them? You were sent there to recruit members for the site not drive them away! ;o)

Seriously though, glad you enjoyed it, I am very jealous (I may have mentioned that before!)
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:23 pm

King Kev wrote:A great write up and well worth the wait. Although I have to say I was a bit concerned to read
tried to spread the word of MCF.net. It was about this time that they said they have to leave.
What the fucl were you saying to them? You were sent there to recruit members for the site not drive them away! ;o)

Seriously though, glad you enjoyed it, I am very jealous (I may have mentioned that before!)

to be fair NONE of the blues i talked to posted on here or knew much about this site, but all of them seemed to either post or get their info off Blue Moon. it made me...proud.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum