Can someone please clarify...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Can someone please clarify...

Postby Florida Blue » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:23 pm

This 25 man squad... if a player blows out his knee in October and is ruled out for 8 months. Can a player be brought in during the window to replace that player out for year?
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Re: Can someone please clarify...

Postby Kyle » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:47 pm

I would assume that it would be something that you can appeal for if and when the situation comes. I'm sure with long term injuries the FA would allow you to register another player as long as the list doesn't exceed 25 players.
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby Dingus McDouchey » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:07 pm

perhaps that is part of the reason for the under 21 exception?
you could bring up a youth player to fill that roster spot.
Berbatov wins golden boot, spends following season on the bench while his team loses title on goal difference. Well played, Fergie.
Dingus McDouchey
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Dunnylad » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:10 pm

My understanding is that you set the 25 man squad until January transfer window, when you can name another 25 man squad - plus there is the unlimited number of youth players you can include throughout - so in answer to your question I guess it's tough luck, although no doubt some special rule applies to keepers ;o)
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Spewed onto the Motorway Shoulder,
I Could Have Been Somebody Special."
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby GavinSE1 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:43 pm

The rules of the Premier League are not very helpful, but there does appear to be a mechanism to make a request to change the squad mid-season:

5. Changes to a Squad List may be made:

5.1 during the period of a Transfer Window; or
5.2 at other times only with the permission of the Board.

The "Board" is the Board of Directors for the company that runs the Premier League. Presumably if there is a long-term injury and inadequate cover in the ranks of the U21 players, then the Board may give permission to register a new player. However, I think clubs will be treated with suspicion if the player being brought in is one that will strengthen the squad.
GavinSE1
Carlo Nash's Debut

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:57 pm

GavinSE1 wrote:The rules of the Premier League are not very helpful, but there does appear to be a mechanism to make a request to change the squad mid-season:

The "Board" is the Board of Directors for the company that runs the Premier League. Presumably if there is a long-term injury and inadequate cover in the ranks of the U21 players, then the Board may give permission to register a new player. However, I think clubs will be treated with suspicion if the player being brought in is one that will strengthen the squad.

Yes, but that 'other time' would have to be within the transfer window to register another player, surely. Which means that you would have to have players off the books in the reserves who could be brought in at short notice, and prepared to possibly lose a season of their career.

I was going over these new rules the other day and just can't fathom out what clubs do with all the excess players? There can't be enough clubs out there to take them all, and we may find a lot of players without jobs. Then, it will only take one of them to challenge the current regulations under Employment Laws (I'm guessing) for it all to change again.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:31 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
GavinSE1 wrote:The rules of the Premier League are not very helpful, but there does appear to be a mechanism to make a request to change the squad mid-season:

Yes, but that 'other time' would have to be within the transfer window to register another player, surely. Which means that you would have to have players off the books in the reserves who could be brought in at short notice, and prepared to possibly lose a season of their career.

I was going over these new rules the other day and just can't fathom out what clubs do with all the excess players? There can't be enough clubs out there to take them all, and we may find a lot of players without jobs. Then, it will only take one of them to challenge the current regulations under Employment Laws (I'm guessing) for it all to change again.

I would imagine there are very few clubs who have many genuine 1st team squad players who would have to leave. We barely have to lose any & we're ruining football. If clubs without our dosh have to lose lots of players out of a squad of 25 then they were in trouble anyway. Got to clear the wardrobe out sometime. Don't know what kind of orange winklepickers will be lurking in Rafa's old shoe cupboard though.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:58 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

I would imagine there are very few clubs who have many genuine 1st team squad players who would have to leave. We barely have to lose any & we're ruining football. If clubs without our dosh have to lose lots of players out of a squad of 25 then they were in trouble anyway. Got to clear the wardrobe out sometime. Don't know what kind of orange winklepickers will be lurking in Rafa's old shoe cupboard though.

Checking on Wiki, we currently have 38 first team players on the books, including some Academy lads. They can't all be put into the 25 and quite a few will have to be farmed out, sold or shot. There's talk of Stevie not being named in the 25 and that could go for a few other names such as Bellamy, as we have other options.

All this begs another question, what happens when we want to sign someone else? It's going to be ruthless as we'll know immediately who's going. And although this may seem strange, these very rules are on par with what was about to be introduced by UEFA, in their now scrapped quota scheme. For me, these rules were intoduced to counter-act what UEFA were doing and when you combine them with the new UEFA Financial implications, seem to be aimed at financial regulation rather than competition.

To be honest, it does seem quite obvious why Mancio wants 2 top class players, and now, for each position with one extra defender, midfielder et al, becuase if he doesn't do it, then we are going to be in stum with all the games coming up. Yes, we can afford to do it, but there are many teams who cannot which leaves the current position of the Top clubs exactly the same as before, if you know what I mean.

I know I shouldn't really complain but it just seems wrong.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:03 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Checking on Wiki, we currently have 38 first team players on the books, including some Academy lads. They can't all be put into the 25 and quite a few will have to be farmed out, sold or shot. There's talk of Stevie not being named in the 25 and that could go for a few other names such as Bellamy, as we have other options.

All this begs another question, what happens when we want to sign someone else? It's going to be ruthless as we'll know immediately who's going. And although this may seem strange, these very rules are on par with what was about to be introduced by UEFA, in their now scrapped quota scheme. For me, these rules were intoduced to counter-act what UEFA were doing and when you combine them with the new UEFA Financial implications, seem to be aimed at financial regulation rather than competition.

To be honest, it does seem quite obvious why Mancio wants 2 top class players, and now, for each position with one extra defender, midfielder et al, becuase if he doesn't do it, then we are going to be in stum with all the games coming up. Yes, we can afford to do it, but there are many teams who cannot which leaves the current position of the Top clubs exactly the same as before, if you know what I mean.

I know I shouldn't really complain but it just seems wrong.

It's a load of bollocks as per usual but in reality we don't have 38 players as we wouldn't be using that number in the 1st team squad whether there were restrictions or not. Most of the spare ones would be out on loan with a view to transferring out, just as they will be this season. The only ones we're really forced to lose will be the likes of Jo & any which Mancini doesn't want when all the business is done.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Exiled » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:37 am

This article is the usual bollox but the comments (arguement with the writer) is a good read:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4249 ... -must-sell

And I also don't understand why they don't report more on the other clubs too. Not just trimming the squads but how to deal with long term injured stars (Scum, Spurs etc).

The clubs that may benefit are the likes of Blackpool and Newcastle who have next to no money but might be able to get good loan deals on some above average players, thereby improving their squads.
Exiled
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Man City

Postby razor400 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:02 am

If the Ballotelli deal goes through does the fact that he is 19 mean that he won't have to be named in the 25?
[/border][/b]
[/color]
razor400
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Champions
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby Dunnylad » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:13 am

Yes I'm sure Balotelli would qualify as an u-21 player and therefore would not need to be included in the 25 names list of players
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:16 am

razor400 wrote:If the Ballotelli deal goes through does the fact that he is 19 mean that he won't have to be named in the 25?

I can't find anything that says he has to be named in the 25, it doesn't appear to discriminate about nationality.

Re Exiled's post; Harry has said Woodgate is definitely not going in his 25 because he can't risk him not coming back from injury, the same article speculated about Hargreaves for rags & Andy Johnson for whoever. That's 3 England internationals! Isn't this bollocks supposed to have the opposite effect? M Johnson will probably miss ours for the same reason. Utter cock up!

Hope rags do pick Hargreaves & Owen though! Then they've got 3 35 yr olds & 2 serial crocks + Ferdinand & Wes Brown in a 25 man squad backed up by an unlimited number of average kids. Marvellous.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dunnylad » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:18 am

From Premierleague website

A home grown player is defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Welsh Football Association for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).

For the purposes of this rule, the season is deemed to run from the date the first transfer window closes until the final match of the campaign.

In keeping with UEFA guidelines, an Under 21 player is defined as one who is under the age of 21 on 1st January in the year in which the season commences. For the 2010/11 campaign Under 21 players will have been born on or after 1st January 1989.

exceptional circumstances

The 25-man squads must be submitted to the Premier League by 5pm on the day following the close of each transfer window. For the 2010/11 season the first window will close at 6pm on 31st August and final squads must be registered by 5pm on 1st September. Before then Clubs will not be required to name their squads and may select their teams from any registered players.

While the transfer windows are open, clubs may change their squads as many times as they want. However they will only be able to make alterations outside the windows if there are exceptional circumstances and the changes are approved by the Premier League board.

For example, if a club has two out of three goalkeepers injured they may be permitted to bring in a replacement under the guidelines drawn up by a specially formed working party.

Players in the 25-man squads who go out on loan to Football League clubs may not be replaced. However they may reclaim their place on their return.

Clubs do not have to name a full squad of 25 if they do not have that many contracted players and in this instance they may add free agents outside the transfer window. However if they have 25 eligible contracted players, they must be named.

Similarly, clubs do not have to name eight home grown players if they do not have that many but that would mean operating with a reduced squad.

The system will be simple enough to administer. Clubs will register their players via an online form which automatically flags up if they have named too many players who do not qualify as Home-Grown.
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:26 am

Dunnylad wrote:From Premierleague website

A home grown player is defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Welsh Football Association for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).

For the purposes of this rule, the season is deemed to run from the date the first transfer window closes until the final match of the campaign.

In keeping with UEFA guidelines, an Under 21 player is defined as one who is under the age of 21 on 1st January in the year in which the season commences. For the 2010/11 campaign Under 21 players will have been born on or after 1st January 1989.

exceptional circumstances

The 25-man squads must be submitted to the Premier League by 5pm on the day following the close of each transfer window. For the 2010/11 season the first window will close at 6pm on 31st August and final squads must be registered by 5pm on 1st September. Before then Clubs will not be required to name their squads and may select their teams from any registered players.

While the transfer windows are open, clubs may change their squads as many times as they want. However they will only be able to make alterations outside the windows if there are exceptional circumstances and the changes are approved by the Premier League board.

For example, if a club has two out of three goalkeepers injured they may be permitted to bring in a replacement under the guidelines drawn up by a specially formed working party.

Players in the 25-man squads who go out on loan to Football League clubs may not be replaced. However they may reclaim their place on their return.

Clubs do not have to name a full squad of 25 if they do not have that many contracted players and in this instance they may add free agents outside the transfer window. However if they have 25 eligible contracted players, they must be named.

Similarly, clubs do not have to name eight home grown players if they do not have that many but that would mean operating with a reduced squad.

The system will be simple enough to administer. Clubs will register their players via an online form which automatically flags up if they have named too many players who do not qualify as Home-Grown.

There's another more relevant bit which refers to an 'unlimited number of players U21' & I can't find anything amongst that which says there'd be a problem with Balotelli etc qualifying.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dunnylad » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:35 am

Ted Hughes wrote:There's another more relevant bit which refers to an 'unlimited number of players U21' & I can't find anything amongst that which says there'd be a problem with Balotelli etc qualifying.

Apologies Ted, here's the bit from the Premier League website thought the rules would cover it, but you're right:-

From this season onwards Premier League clubs will have to name a squad of up to 25 players with eight of the 25 places reserved exclusively for Home Grown Players.

In addition, clubs may also call upon an unlimited number of Under 21 players.

The scheme applies only in the Barclays Premier League and not in the FA Cup or Carling Cup.

good work

Premier League General Secretary Mike Foster explained: "The aim is to encourage more home grown players and to give more opportunities to Academy graduates.

"At our summer meeting in 2009 the clubs devoted a whole day to discussing youth development and highlighting all the good work being done at Academy level.

"It can be difficult though for scholars to get first-team opportunities once they have left the Academy so we came up with a number of ideas to help bridge that gulf.

"The squad system idea coupled with a home grown player quota received broad support and after considering various other systems of this kind from around Europe, Clubs opted to closely replicate the model in use by UEFA, partly because it was the one with which a significant number of Clubs were the most familiar.

"One difference between the Premier League and UEFA systems is that with UEFA, Home Grown players are split into two categories: association trained and club trained whereas Premier League Rules refer only to association trained - in other words to qualify as a Home Grown Player you must have spent at least three years registered with any English or Welsh Clubs while below the age of 21.

"If this does increase opportunities for young players as we hope, then it will encourage further investment in youth development. The more quality Under 21 players clubs have, the better placed they will be as they will have more players to select from.

"Clubs may be permitted to change their squads outside the transfer window in very extreme cases and with the Board's approval - for example, if they have injuries to goalkeepers. However we do not anticipate many occasions where this is likely to happen.

"In the event of the unavailability of players in the first team squad due to injury, illness or suspension then clubs will have to promote Under 21 players as they will not be able to change their squad or register new players if the Window has closed."

smaller pool

The hope is that this rule change will have a beneficial knock-on effect at international level, giving England a greater pool of potential players.

It will also reward clubs for their investment in youth as limiting squad sizes could produce savings on transfer fees and wages.

Foster added: "While the sporting factor of encouraging youth development was the main driver behind bringing in the new Rule it is anticipated that there will also be financial benefits in operating with a smaller pool of contracted players and a higher preponderance of young players developed in England.

"It is hoped that a healthy by-product of the new system will be a bigger pool of players for England to choose from.

"At the moment around 85 per cent of scholars are English with the remainder coming from abroad and if that ratio is maintained with players being selected for the first-team then that would be a healthy situation.

"It is quite a significant step which is only just beginning to attract fans' attention as we approach the start of the new season."
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby TonyM » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:41 am

M.Johnson and Woodgate are just a couple of players that will suffer from this rule imo. They can go on loan but no one will take them if they aren't fit enough yet.

Then you have King, Owen and the like that are constantly injured.

I don't like it. I think it's just another rule that hurts so few that no one cares except to those few. I think it's also one that will be lifted for exception but wheich exceptions - maybe if a busload of United players crashes and they all break their legs, but not if Blackburn is attacked by a mod (togo style). It'll still be one rule for the favourites and another for the rest.

We don't the rule makers concentrate on the game (the one that's happening on the pitch). Hoe about they fic the stupid offside rule that still no one understands, or introduct technologies that will make the game fairer or stop players arguing withthe refs or maybe forget the rule book and hire and train some decent refs. The game is in the worst state it ever has been imo. This season will no doubt be full of more crap decisions and inexusable officiating. Nothing to do with how many players are in a squad or how much they get paid (not that I mind a salary cap) or what a team's revenue is or anything else outside the grounds.

I fuckin hate with a passion the people running the game. I honestly believe that there isn't one who honestly wants to improve the game. I think there are plenty who will say they do and probably tell themselves they do but I really believe that if they ever wanted to fix the game they'd rip the whole thing up, cause a big fuss and get it sorted in one summer. They are all too scared to fix anything other than tidying up around the fringes. Fuck em. I have to put up with them. But I'm not sure for how much longer I can hold in the rage I feel towards the game. I want to stay in love with football but year after year it gets harder and harder. Not even cups and titles will hold it together if the game continues to be so unfair. :-(
TonyM
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Return to The Maine Football forum