Ireland's position.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Ireland's position.

Postby Dubciteh » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:06 pm

latest quote from stevie:

"I decided in the summer that I was going to get my head down and do what I can to show the manager that I am worth a place on his team. It didn't go that well for me last season, when there were a lot of changes at the club, but it is only a season ago that I was Player of the Year at the club and my view is that I haven't become a bad player overnight. The manager hopefully doesn't think that either."

"I have read in the papers about supposed interest from Sunderland and Fulham and maybe even Aston Villa but I haven't heard anything directly. Ideally, I would like to stay and build a future here. I am not going to rush in to anything, anyway. I think it's best if I see what happens during the first half of the season and perhaps give the situation until Christmas. If things aren't right at this stage then we can look at it again. I have worked hard during my years at City and I love the club."

love the last line thats what i want to hear!
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Grob » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:26 pm

Ireland is a confidence player. When he has none, he's average at best. When he some it, he's excellent.

I think we've all seen enough of him to figure out that he's not a wideman.

He could be an excellent central midfielder as he has a great engine, is a good tackler and can pass the ball really well. But he just doesnt have that inate ability that the likes of Barry has to find that little bit of space in the middle of the park to receive a pass and then move the ball on quickly. Most of his best work occurs in the final 3rd.

It really annoys me to see Mancini move Ireland out wide left and wide right on a regular basis. Its almost as annoying as him playing Nedum at full back. Square pags, round holes.

Ireland, with a bit of belief in himself and from those around him, could become an excellent central midfield player.

I would be unhappy to see him leave. He's impressed me in all 3 pre season matches also so far.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:27 pm

Dubciteh wrote:latest quote from stevie:

"I decided in the summer that I was going to get my head down and do what I can to show the manager that I am worth a place on his team. It didn't go that well for me last season, when there were a lot of changes at the club, but it is only a season ago that I was Player of the Year at the club and my view is that I haven't become a bad player overnight. The manager hopefully doesn't think that either."

"I have read in the papers about supposed interest from Sunderland and Fulham and maybe even Aston Villa but I haven't heard anything directly. Ideally, I would like to stay and build a future here. I am not going to rush in to anything, anyway. I think it's best if I see what happens during the first half of the season and perhaps give the situation until Christmas. If things aren't right at this stage then we can look at it again. I have worked hard during my years at City and I love the club."

love the last line thats what i want to hear!

I wonder if he loves the club like he loved the team he grew up supporting? Just sayin.

I think his main problem is that he isn't really very bright and Mancini is tasking him with a role that actually needs a lot more intelligence.

I hope dazbys assessment above is correct and i agree with Ted and others who've said we need the grafter back. Dunno where he went. Or why. Stevie needs to play a bit more like his idol than trying to be cesc fabregas.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Original Dub » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:28 pm

The papers really seem to have gotten hold of one or two of you when it comes to Stevie. He had a poor season for sure and in his most recent interview he acknowledges this. He also acknowledges the amazing season he had the season before and the fact that he loves our club and wants to stay and fight.

And everything else you heard in the papers is total bollox. They'd have you believe he handed in a transfer request and is a disruptive influence.

Horse shit.

Anyway, getting rid of him now and trying to buy Milner on the back of a season that wasn't as good as Stevie's the season before is fucking ludacris.

Turn it upside down and inside out all you want, we do not need to sell so moving him is premature, just like it was with Dunne.
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:31 pm

TonyM wrote:There is no problem with Ireland's attitude. All this talk of him sorting out his head is bollox. Mancini was a foolish IMO to say such at the end of last season as it has only served to be a stick for all the numpties to beat him with. Like Bellamy he has a reputation now but everytime I see an interview or see a clip of him he looks and sounds like a nice quite lad (who has an unfortunate taste in music and style). So off the pitch and in trining his head is fine. Do people mean that his head is screwed up on the pitch? I don't think it is -If I was him I'd be gone mental by know - playing with players who can't seem to string a couple of passes together unless it's playing tippy tappy around the back 4.

Every single time I see him play I see him backpass because no one is making space or make fantastic runs that noone choses to pass into. When Elano, Petrov and Robinho played with him he was deadly. When Barry, DeJong and Johnson play with him he's crap. IMO we need to fix our core issue - we play shit football. We need to see some emphasis on pass and move. We need to see some movement. I'm hoping the new arrivals will bring this. It they do Ireland will fit in perfectly... without any mental adjustment. If we continue to huff and puff we'll go nowhere and Ireland leaving will be the least of our issues.

I have to admit to being more and more nervous about Mancini. I see a lot of faith in the guy from others but I've yet to be convinced. I really hope to see signs that he's making us a better team. the arrivals are positive but just as important will be who he lets go. The next few months are vital. If things do not go swimingly I can see a lot of tormoil. People are talking about uis winning the title.... it's crazy talk unless we get off to an abolute flyer over the next month or 2. the transition that is required is almost as much as when Sven came in or Hughes came in. Though he had a better squad there is a mountain of changes required to get us up to the next level.

I agree with some of that but not the idea that his lack of creative passing is because of the other players, it's because he's not very good at it & often misses the opportunity to do it. When he played with the players you mention, he was mostly the player receiving the ball not the player making the pass. How many goals can you remember us scoring from brilliant Ireland through balls? His assists often came from crosses when in loads of space or short passes. Robinho, Elano & Petrov were the ones making the passes, he did the running. In recent times he's suddenly had his role changed (at least in his head) from midfield runner to football genius playmaker & he's completely crap at it & can do hardly any of the things genuine playmakers do.

He needs to get back to being the hard working but classy midfield runner that he became during Hughes' 1st season rather than the bloke with a feather up his arse he turned into.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby cityPinoy_fc » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:40 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:He says he wants to stay & fight for a place, which I'm actually delighted about but which place is he fighting for? Imo, however clever he is in 5 a sides etc, in a real game he frequently misses the opportunity to get through the kind of passes that are the bread & butter of a great 'playmaker'. He either over/underhits it, fails to see it or gets caught in possession through dallying too long or the player is offside for the same reasons. He just isn't the 'playmaker' some claim him to be IMO.

I recon Ireland's best moments are when he's making runs breaking forward & receives a pass rather than when he's trying to be the creative force. I would like to see him tackling, passing & moving & KEEPING THE BALL rather than giving away possession, so that someone like Silva can provide the pass, maybe even for Ireland himself to score or at least break away.

I want to see Ireland as an alround hard working but classy midfielder who's extra workrate & tackling means we don't need 2 defensive midfielders in most games & can play him instead of one of them, rather than a second rate midweek replacement for Silva.

Ideas anybody?

he doesn't have the physique to command the midfield he'll get swallowed by players like essien and other bigger players thats why he struggle in a four man midfield. in my opinion he is an attacking midfielder with a box 2 box "engine", he's a unique player but unique ain't gonna may him a world class player. he needs to perform on a consistent (high level) basis if he wants to stay at city it as simple as that.
[center]What would happen if pacman meets ferguson?
WHO THE F*** ARE MAN UNITED!!!!![/center]
cityPinoy_fc
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby JB » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:18 pm

john@staustell wrote:
JB wrote:
john@staustell wrote:I reckon within the next 2 weeks his position will be Aston Villa or Sunderland.

You're probably right. I would like to see him loaned out to Mallorca or Palermo, as he seems to like the heat and humidity so much, rather than sold to another EPL side.

Yeah but have you ever tried moving a 30-ft fish tank to Mallorca, with it's fish??????????????

On a roofrack on top of his Mrs' landrover?
JB

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Neil Young!

Postby john@staustell » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:20 pm

JB wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
JB wrote:
john@staustell wrote:I reckon within the next 2 weeks his position will be Aston Villa or Sunderland.

You're probably right. I would like to see him loaned out to Mallorca or Palermo, as he seems to like the heat and humidity so much, rather than sold to another EPL side.

Yeah but have you ever tried moving a 30-ft fish tank to Mallorca, with it's fish??????????????

Thought they had his-and-hers Lamborghinis?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby JB » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:25 pm

john@staustell wrote:
JB wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
JB wrote:

Thought they had his-and-hers Lamborghinis?

Are there any roofracks suitable for Lamborghinis?
JB

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Neil Young!

Postby Goaters 103 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:19 pm

Stephen Ireland told he's unlikely to be included in #MCFC 25-man squad next season and can leave the club http://bit.ly/c6Z5JE

Thats from The Times James Ducker, on Twitter
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby CityGer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:04 pm

A certainty to be sold so we no longer need to try and work out the puzzle of how to get him in to the side.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby Dubciteh » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:09 pm

If true thats terrible decision, up there with when hughes got rid of dunne, id loan ireland out so that when mancini is sacked the new manager can come in and get him back to his best...
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby crossan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:10 pm

Or Preston if he is lucky....................
I am City til I die,
I am City til I die,
I know I am,I'm sure I am,
I am City til I die.
crossan
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City.
My favourite player is: Johnny Crossan.

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:29 pm

cityPinoy_fc wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:He says he wants to stay & fight for a place, which I'm actually delighted about but which place is he fighting for? Imo, however clever he is in 5 a sides etc, in a real game he frequently misses the opportunity to get through the kind of passes that are the bread & butter of a great 'playmaker'. He either over/underhits it, fails to see it or gets caught in possession through dallying too long or the player is offside for the same reasons. He just isn't the 'playmaker' some claim him to be IMO.

I recon Ireland's best moments are when he's making runs breaking forward & receives a pass rather than when he's trying to be the creative force. I would like to see him tackling, passing & moving & KEEPING THE BALL rather than giving away possession, so that someone like Silva can provide the pass, maybe even for Ireland himself to score or at least break away.

I want to see Ireland as an alround hard working but classy midfielder who's extra workrate & tackling means we don't need 2 defensive midfielders in most games & can play him instead of one of them, rather than a second rate midweek replacement for Silva.

Ideas anybody?

he doesn't have the physique to command the midfield he'll get swallowed by players like essien and other bigger players thats why he struggle in a four man midfield. in my opinion he is an attacking midfielder with a box 2 box "engine", he's a unique player but unique ain't gonna may him a world class player. he needs to perform on a consistent (high level) basis if he wants to stay at city it as simple as that.

He spent 2 years training as a kick boxer, it's about desire not physical strength. I don't want him to command the midfield anyway, in fact the absolute opposite. I want him to just work hard, pass & move. He'd still often be an attacking midfielder anyway provided he does it by getting behind the ball, works his tits off, tackles & passes the ball to Silva then goes forward. Scholes can do it as well as all the stuff Ireland can't. Anyhow he'll have 6ft odd Yaya Toure stood behind him! Half of Spain's/Barca's options are smaller phsically than Ireland. Mascherano, Diarra, & Makelele did ok in the PL & they were playing as out & out defensive midfielders.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:38 am

i seriously hope he doesn't leave and i hope he gets a chance to play with Silva and Yaya in the midfield. Ireland is at his best when there is a bit of one touch and his team mates are responsive and able to keep up. In Both the recent friendlies he has passed the ball moved and then had to stop because Vieira or Jo didn't play ball with a simple pass. You could see him getting frustrated holding his arms out to say cmon, quicker pass it.
So you could say he needs a certain system to play in or you could just say he needs one or two other players to build moves. I think those players could be Silva and Yaya. Imo it is the best chance to see the best of Stevie since Elano and Robson were in the team.

c'mon Mancini, give Steven Ireland the chance to show what he is good at and field a midfield that can play his sort of game, you wont regret it.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:51 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
cityPinoy_fc wrote:

Ideas anybody?

He spent 2 years training as a kick boxer, it's about desire not physical strength. I don't want him to command the midfield anyway, in fact the absolute opposite. I want him to just work hard, pass & move. He'd still often be an attacking midfielder anyway provided he does it by getting behind the ball, works his tits off, tackles & passes the ball to Silva then goes forward. Scholes can do it as well as all the stuff Ireland can't. Anyhow he'll have 6ft odd Yaya Toure stood behind him! Half of Spain's/Barca's options are smaller phsically than Ireland. Mascherano, Diarra, & Makelele did ok in the PL & they were playing as out & out defensive midfielders.

I fully agree. Ireland is surprisingly strong for a man with fairly slight build. I've seen him push players much bigger than him off the ball numerous of times when he is up for it.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum