Monday's B*ll*x

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Monday's B*ll*x

Postby Chinners » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:32 am

Stephen Ireland set to quit City after US tour bust-up with Mancini
Stephen Ireland is on his way out of Manchester City after a bust-up with boss Roberto Mancini on the club's trip to New York.
Midfield maestro Ireland clashed with the Italian after the defeat by Portuguese side Sporting Lisbon - and he now looks like being the big loser in the fall-out.
Mancini is not happy with Ireland's form and told the former Republic of Ireland star that he could even be completely left out of City's Premier League squad this season.
News of Ireland's row has already come back to these shores - and interested clubs are now looking to make their move and get the player dubbed 'Superman' by the fans.
Ireland has seen his place in City's first team go from guaranteed to under threat in the past 12 months and the new arrivals have only stretched his patience more.
However the crunch came after Ireland was dragged off after an hour of the Sporting setback and insiders say Mancini gave him a dressing down that left the pair's relationship on the rocks.
The threat that Ireland would not be in the Premier League squad list, which will be named shortly, seems odd as he is a home-grown player and would qualify on those grounds.
But the angry words point towards Ireland leaving sooner rather than later. Sunderland are interested in him but not at the £10million asking price.

Man City still haven't given up on signing Fernando Torres, says Mancini
Roberto Mancini has accused Manchester City's Premier League rivals of running scared of the mega-rich club.
City are set to take their summer spending through the £100million barrier with the capture of Aston Villa's James Milner and boss Mancini believes his rivals are jealous of his club's financial might.
With the money they have spent, Pemier League managers and players believe the minimum City must achieve this season is a top-four finish, if not winning the title, but Mancini claimed they are piling on the pressure because they are frightened.
And in a further example of City's willingness to keep on spending to win the title, Mancini said he has not given up signing £50m-rated Liverpool and Spain striker Fernando Torres this summer, despite competition from Chelsea.
Asked if the Premier League's big clubs were scared of what City can achieve, Mancini said: "I think so. At the moment, only Manchester City are in the market place buying players. But that's normal because we want to improve.
"I think all the other teams are saying these things about us because, for 10 years, there were only four teams challenging for title. This season there will be five. Over the years, all these teams have spent a lot of money. Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham.
"They have done in the past what we are doing now, so for me there isn't a difference."
Although Torres has yet to make a decision on his Liverpool future, with Chelsea the favourites to sign him should he decide to leave Anfield, Mancini says he is desperate to bring the World Cup winner to City.
"There are two or three strikers that we could go for," said Mancini. "But it's the same situation as it is with Milner. First there is the price, then it depends if the player wants to change teams. Up until now, Liverpool haven't bought many players.
"The choices that we have are between four or five fantastic players. Torres is one of the best strikers in Europe and has been playing in the Premier League for three years now, so he knows it very well. But it all depends on his situation, his price and whether he wants to come."
Mancini confirmed he will be offloading several players - Craig Bellamy and Robinho the most high-profile - in order to trim his squad to the limit of 25 names as stipulated by the Premier League for the new season.
And Mancini admitted it was vital to move disillusioned players on elsewhere to preserve harmony within City's squad. "It's important we start the season with only 25 players because that's the number of names we can put on the list," said Mancini.
"It's better for me and the other players who are not on the list that they go to another team. Robinho doesn't want to come back, but Craig is working very well. I have now, with all the new signings, 30 players. So it's better for the extra ones that they go, rather than staying and not playing. That would be a big problem for the players and the club."

James Milner set for talks on return to training with Aston Villa
James Milner is expected to hold talks with Martin O'Neill when he returns to Aston Villa for pre-season training tomorrow, with the furore last week about his future still fresh in the mind. The England international was given an extended break following the World Cup finals but he is due to report to the club's Bodymoor Heath training ground tomorrow morning, where it is anticipated he will meet the manager to discuss his position.
Milner was deeply upset last Thursday, when O'Neill claimed that he had "intimated" he wanted to leave the club during a meeting held at the end of the season in the wake of Manchester City making a £20m offer for the midfielder. The 24‑year‑old also rejected the suggestion that Villa had offered him a new contract. Villa, however, have maintained that O'Neill was correct in both cases, leading to an unsavoury dispute between player and club.
Whether that can be resolved when Milner reports back tomorrow, together with his England team-mates Emile Heskey and Stephen Warnock, remains to be seen. There are no talks officially scheduled but there is an acceptance that both parties will want to clear the air before Villa prepare to head for Portugal on Wednesday, when the inclusion or exclusion of Milner's name from the party that travels to the Algarve will be revealing.
City had been expected to return with an improved second and final £24m offer before then, but as yet Villa have yet to receive another bid. Villa's asking price is closer to £30m, a valuation that City are unwilling to meet and one that raises the prospect of a cash-plus-player deal, with Stephen Ireland remaining the most likely of the numerous players on the periphery at Eastlands who have been told they can leave this summer, to be used as a makeweight.
Before then Milner could find himself in the uncomfortable position of having to face the Villa supporters, many of whom will have turned against him as a result of O'Neill's comments last week. Villa take on Walsall in a friendly on Tuesday and, although it is unlikely Milner will start or even appear as a substitute after only one day of pre-season training, there is a chance he will be present at the game at Walsall's Banks's Stadium.
Milner, though, is said to be unperturbed about the prospect of receiving a hostile reception from Villa fans. A source close to the player said the former Leeds United trainee maintains he has done nothing wrong and that he would continue to be totally committed when wearing a Villa shirt, whether he was appearing for the reserve team or the first team. Furthermore, he intends to applaud the Villa supporters irrespective of any taunting that might come his way.
Although Milner has a reputation for being one of the hardest trainers and most dedicated players, his professional approach when he returns to the club today is also likely to be influenced by the realisation that there is no guarantee City will come up with the funds to meet Villa's demands. City, despite their extraordinary wealth, have made it clear that they will not be held to ransom and believe that an offer that doubles the £12m Villa paid Newcastle United for Milner two years ago is more than reasonable.

TRANSFER BOLLOX
Villa boss O'Neill fears he may also lose £30m-rated winger Ashley Young, who could be a target for Tottenham this summer. (The Daily Mirror)

Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho is set to reveal that Chelsea defender Ashley Cole is at the top of his wish list of new signings. (The Sun)

However, Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti has reassured fans by insisting that Cole will not be swapping Stamford Bridge for Spain this season. (The Daily Telegraph)

However, fellow Liverpool striker David Ngog is putting off potential suitors with his £2m-a-year wages. Daily Mirror

Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce has closed the door on any prospective move by Turkish club Galatasaray for Australian midfielder Brett Emerton. Daily Mail

Meanwhile, Allardyce is ready to hold talks with 18-year-old Brazilian midfielder Henrique Haygnner Celestine, who currently plays for Pacos de Ferreira in Portugal. (The Daily Mirror)

Blackpool and Sunderland are competing to sign Manchester United's teenage striker Danny Welbeck on a loan deal. Daily Mirror

Newcastle hope to sign Marseille winger Hatem Ben Arfa on loan. Daily Telegraph

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp intends to name Robbie Keane in his 25-man Premier League squad, despite persistent speculation that the Republic of Ireland striker will be allowed to leave White Hart Lane. Daily Telegraph

OTHER BOLLOX
Jimmy Bullard is being left out of all of Hull's pre-season matches because the club, who want to offload him, do not want the midfielder to pick up an injury. Daily Mail

Manchester United winger Nani has been playing with a permanent toe problem that he picked up when he was playing barefoot on the streets in Portugal as a 14-year-old. (The Sun)

Everton's veteran defender Sylvan Distan has urged the Toffees to fend off bids for Phil Jagielka as Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger looks set to up his efforts to land the defender with a £16m bid. (The Daily Star)

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson was hoping to duet with Sir Paul McCartney when the former Beatle played in Kansas City. "A few of us are going tonight. I'm singing with him," joked Fergie, whose team are staying in the same hotel as McCartney. (The Daily Mail)

WEST HAM FANS LETTER BOLLOX
I thought you might enjoy this which has been quite widely reproduced.It isn't a dig at West ham from me, it could relate to most Prem Clubs:

Dear Mr Gold and Mr Sullivan,
I refer to your letter to me on the 19th May when you laid out your ten point plan for the future of the club I have supported since I was 5 years old, and one where for the past 11 seasons I have had a season ticket. At the time, with the season just about to end I decided not to believe your “story” and decline to renew my season tickets.
I put up with almost weekly emails encouraging me to renew my seat despite asking to be removed from your mailing list. Did you comply with my request in accordance with the Data Protection Act? No – you simply sent me twice as many. You emailed me at 3.30pm on Wednesday 23rd June telling me that Scottie Parker was “committed” and why hadn’t I. I remember it exactly at that time as it was slap bang in the middle of me watching England’s game versus Slovenia.
So now with the season ticket deadline passed there are hints that Parker may indeed be sold to finance more overseas “stars” such as Mokoena, Piquionne or Barrera – hang on did you not say in point 4 that you would “clear the debt?” How exactly are you going to do that by bringing in such journeymen? But I know your answer…
Today I decided to buy my tickets for the first games of the season. As a member I get to buy my tickets at a “members” discount before the general public. So I went online, added 1 x Adult seat and 1 x child seat for 10 year old Lolly. To say that I spilt my tea when it came to the “check out” was an understatement. £81 for two tickets…and that is the cheapest tickets in the house. £51 for me, £28 for a 10 year old and then you have the cheek to add £2 for an Admin fee – what exactly is that for? Are you not ripping me off enough? Should I wish to sit in one of the more “expensive” seats I would be paying £69 and £37 respectively. £37 for a child. What planet do you live on? How exactly is it “making it enjoyable to come and watch?” or even point 5 - “member benefits will be improved”
I travel each week to and from Copenhagen – a wonderful city and recently named as one of the top 5 expensive cities in the world to live in. Do you know what I can buy for £37 for my daughter there? Well how about a ticket to the cinema, entrance to Tivoli Gardens theme park, lunch or even a flight to get there in the first place. How can you justify charging £37 for a child’s ticket? And nearly £70 for an adults ticket – you do know that is more than a ticket for the Champions League Final, the Europa League Final and even two categories of seats at the World Cup in South Africa. So I could have got a seat for Portugal v Brazil in the World Cup finals for 20% less than a ticket for West Ham v Chelsea.
Can I ask a simple question? Do you feel that these prices give value for money, or are you simply doing this to reduce the debt? I wouldn’t mind if you came out and said “we need to clear the debt so we have to charge you and arm and a leg” but instead you try and justify it with marketing blurb. I realised last season that despite being a West Ham fan, I actually have a choice. I do not have to pay these ridiculous sums anymore. I have taken the £189 I would have paid for tickets for the three games and bought a season ticket to Lewes FC in the Blue Square South, which includes a FREE child’s ticket and then given the remaining £50 to my wife to spend on a new handbag.
The next generation of football fans are the likes of my 10 year old and you are driving them away from the club with your pricing policy. There will be no one to fill that void in years to come and that is because of the decisions you are making today. But then again, I expect fans like me to be around long after you have moved on to your next project.
I am sure you don’t actually care that you have lost two more fans. I do not spend money in the stadium on the average overpriced fayre you serve up. I do not buy the propaganda match day programme and I do not buy toasters that print WHU on my bread so in that respect I am not your ideal fan. But I am a true fan and you simply cannot see that, mores the pity.
One day you will see the light.
The Ball is Round
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Re: Monday's B*ll*x

Postby Blue in the face » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:58 am

Nice bollox Chinners. Some interesting articles today. But wheres the wag??
Blue in the face
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby ashton287 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:44 am

You have to feel for the west ham fan.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby Florida Blue » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:05 pm

Wait, so the bust up with Ireland was after the Sporting game? So why did Ireland start, let alone even play vs the Red Bulls???
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:24 pm

Florida Blue wrote:Wait, so the bust up with Ireland was after the Sporting game? So why did Ireland start, let alone even play vs the Red Bulls???

Captain too!
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Chinners » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:31 pm

Breaking bollox
Inter Milan striker Mario Balotelli's agent denies rumours that the teenage star has signed for Manchester City. Mino Raiola said: "Nothing has been signed and I doubt anything will be in the next few days." (AFP)

or Inter's 19-year-old striker Balotelli could be on his way to Eastlands in a £24m deal.
Daily Mail

Former Manchester United and Aston Villa midfielder Eric Djemba-Djemba, currently at Danish side Odense, has emerged as a target for Premier League newcomers West Brom. (Press Association)
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby irblinx » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:51 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Florida Blue wrote:Wait, so the bust up with Ireland was after the Sporting game? So why did Ireland start, let alone even play vs the Red Bulls???

Captain too!

Player subbed after 60 mins in a pre season friendly shocker! They really are scraping the barrel now
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Return to The Maine Football forum