Have we past the point?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Have we past the point?

Postby BlueSwede » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:41 am

The snowball has been moving for over a year now an the question is if it isn't all ready has grown to an avalanche.

Have we now come to that point when we attract all the big names?

We have shown our intent, we are now signing young coming players with bright future. How are other player seeing us at the moment?

If we are interested, and the club holding the player doesn't try to rip us off regarding the transfer fee, will the player, 'automatic', be interested in joining our “project”?

Are there still players out there who would have second thoughts joining us? Do we need to show result for half a year, a year.. or even more?
[center][urlnp=http://www.citizensof.se]citizens of sweden[/urlnp][/center]
BlueSwede
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Re: Have we past the point?

Postby brite blu sky » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:51 am

in regard to 'big names' i have two points. One is do we really need them? Second is related.. so called big names that go to famous clubs.. eg. Kaka to Real Madrid.. what is that about? seems to me it is all about fame and branding and me me me.

id prefer even if we were able to pull in marquee signings and galacticos to just get top quality players who are hungry to make a mark in football and see the chance to be a legend at City.

But to properly answer your question, i think that by the end of this season then yes we will have got to that point.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Fish111 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:58 am

I personally want all the big names to come to City. The more the merrier. You will still get players not wanting to come to us though for various reasons. The scum, Liverpool, Chelsea & Arsenall have all had snubs from players in the past so its normal. The thing that has changed is that we are not being dismissed as a joke by the big name players anymore. Everyone around the globe knows we have the resources and the fans to catapult us to the top of the tree very very soon.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby BlueSwede » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:11 pm

Even 'big name' aside, we still struggled a year and a half ago. Now it's different. We are still having problems with clubs trying to get an extra £ out of a transfer with us but I believe that the player himself now see us as one of, perhaps the best, option to take the next step in his career.
[center][urlnp=http://www.citizensof.se]citizens of sweden[/urlnp][/center]
BlueSwede
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Dameerto » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:24 pm

We became more attractive by just missing out on the Champion's League last season, that was the moment the last few stragglers realised how serious we were.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby dazby » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:02 pm

Good topic and yes, we have passed the point. We won't win all the player battles we go in for but as long as we win enough, it will be happy days.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby colonel_muck » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:24 pm

personally i am a bit of an old romantic about the team from hughes first season. they're the squad i would have liked to see grow into champs league football. i know it would have taken a lot longer, but i loved that squad. there was a real team mentality. i don't think throwing 11 big names on the pitch will neccessarily move us forward. this pre season to me has been another massive re-shuffle which will one way or another stifle our progress with players having to find new understandings with new players while perfectly capable players will be pushed to the bench.
colonel_muck
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby halnone » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:31 pm

Yes we have past the point. But we still have a long way to go if we want big name players to "dream" about going to us like they always do with Real Madrid and the Scum. Although that could take a long time...
halnone
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silva

Return to The Maine Football forum