City v NY Red Bulls - ESPN 1 or 2?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: City v NY Red Bulls - ESPN 1 or 2?

Postby ross.mcfc » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:30 am

ryanmjo wrote:Scum lost 2-1 tonight to 10 man Kansas City Wizards, and with a more experienced team than we put out there today.

What? Well thats them screwed in America. Losing a friendly? May as well come home now.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Citeh&Crew » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:23 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Come on though folks..pre season means nothing..it's a fitness workout and the chance to look at fringe players

You take it waaaaay too seriously..

Remember Chelsea got beat the other day by some nomarks

Pre season should actually be about getting your first team players to gel mate...or get as many as you have available to fucking gel before the season starts.......throwing on any old player just doesnt make sense to me and never has done.

I hate this "it's only a friendly" attitude ,especially when we are on ESPN or any other channel thats aired all over the world !! we look like cunts when we get done by some fucking MLS team.

Totally agree about Mancini seemingly throwing players out at random. No sense of tactics today, and to be honest, NYRB completely owned midfield. Not even close.

But also keep in mind, MLS is a freaking hell of a lot better than most Brits give credit for being. It's not the same league as what was seen even five years ago. Tonight was no fluke; NYRB also dominated Spurs, but only lost due to two horrendous backpasses, that may as well have been own-goals for all their comedy.

And if you need another, even more poignant example? See: ManU losing to a 10-man Kansas City Wizards team today.

It's not a joke anymore, the "pre-season fitness" and "it's only a friendly" excuses only go so far, for so long.
Citeh&Crew

Postby Michigan Blue » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:41 am

ryanmjo wrote:Anyone know the TV situation for the Club America friendly on Wednesday? Particularly in the U.S?

Live on ESPN Deportes.
"Certainly our programme is a full one, but as a player and as a manager I've always felt that there is only one way to go into a season...and that's to try to win every game.... While we are in four major competitions we shall try to win four major competitions." - Joe Mercer
Michigan Blue
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:40 am

lets all have a disco wrote:Pre season or not,that was poor.

I agree. Fitness building exercise and all that but we were shite. Most of the lads should be come straight off months of BBQ and ten pints and play better.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Sister of fu » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:08 am

ryanmjo wrote:Scum lost 2-1 tonight to 10 man Kansas City Wizards, and with a more experienced team than we put out there today.

Oh they lost a friendly can only mean one thing....relagated.
Sister of fu

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby kinkylola » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:40 am

Sister of fu wrote:Oh they lost a friendly can only mean one thing....relagated.

It's funny because that is what all the forums are actually saying about us ...

It was really hilarious because in the comments section of an article about Utd and City losing in the USA and Spurs drawing ... A Utd fan was laughing at all city fans who think that the team can accomplish something this year, and putting up our loss to NY as an example.

article:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... al&cc=4716

comments:

http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/sh ... net-810226

RAG Posts:

BUTNIK79 (7/26/2010 at 6:23 AM) Report Violation
this sumer gets better and better.

class citeh, your bankroll cannot buy it.

TheRedDevilsKnight (7/26/2010 at 9:28 AM) Report Violation
Oh god...City's gonna win the Title this season.
City's gonna get into Europe this season.

P.S: Coca Cola Championship and Europa League.

Same guy back again:

BUTNIK79 (7/26/2010 at 9:29 AM) Report Violation
all the citeh fans boys getting nervous citing reserves.
get off it.
united beat celtic with the same amount of reserves. what's citeh's excuse?
this is going to be a lovely season for all the fantasy football managers to realize only tic tac toe and hangman are played on paper.

Scouse:

Lpool4ever5672 (7/26/2010 at 11:29 AM) Report Violation
i think one can completely write off man city already. i can somewhat appreciate the loss to sporting, though spurs did manage to at least draw with them. but losing to a MLS side with so many big-bucks signing?

a lot of people say friendlies are nothing. just ask chelsea, arsenal and man u, they will tell u otherwise. it's about instilling a winning mentality. imagine, if you are already playing so hard for a friendly, what's going to happen during a league or game?

i guess harry must be grinning right now, since man city is just right for the slaughter! I hope they beat them 3-0!
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:52 am

Citeh&Crew wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Come on though folks..pre season means nothing..it's a fitness workout and the chance to look at fringe players

You take it waaaaay too seriously..

Remember Chelsea got beat the other day by some nomarks

Pre season should actually be about getting your first team players to gel mate...or get as many as you have available to fucking gel before the season starts.......throwing on any old player just doesnt make sense to me and never has done.

I hate this "it's only a friendly" attitude ,especially when we are on ESPN or any other channel thats aired all over the world !! we look like cunts when we get done by some fucking MLS team.

Totally agree about Mancini seemingly throwing players out at random. No sense of tactics today, and to be honest, NYRB completely owned midfield. Not even close.

But also keep in mind, MLS is a freaking hell of a lot better than most Brits give credit for being. It's not the same league as what was seen even five years ago. Tonight was no fluke; NYRB also dominated Spurs, but only lost due to two horrendous backpasses, that may as well have been own-goals for all their comedy.

And if you need another, even more poignant example? See: ManU losing to a 10-man Kansas City Wizards team today.

It's not a joke anymore, the "pre-season fitness" and "it's only a friendly" excuses only go so far, for so long.

It's not a joke but neither are the lower leagues here, who's teams would give the likes of City & rags merry hell & a right good thrashing if we were to play them when they were fit & we weren't. Try going to Southampton or Sheffield Wed with a half fit team full of kids when they're in full flow & see what the score is.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby john@staustell » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:11 am

No offence to lads like Tutte, Kay, Mee and CunningHAM, but I agree with other posters that this exercise can be no earthly use in 'gelling' our first team.

Also disrespectful to sponsors of the tour and the paying public.

Obviously the world cup has interfered with Mancini's plans and he didn't really want friendlies this early. We dont need the money like Scum so why on earth bother?

The only reason I can see is to have our name bandied about a bit in the US of A for alleged marketing purposes.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby JB » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:21 am

kinkylola wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:Oh they lost a friendly can only mean one thing....relagated.

It's funny because that is what all the forums are actually saying about us ...

It was really hilarious because in the comments section of an article about Utd and City losing in the USA and Spurs drawing ... A Utd fan was laughing at all city fans who think that the team can accomplish something this year, and putting up our loss to NY as an example.

article:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... al&cc=4716

comments:

http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/sh ... net-810226

RAG Posts:

BUTNIK79 (7/26/2010 at 6:23 AM) Report Violation
this sumer gets better and better.

class citeh, your bankroll cannot buy it.

TheRedDevilsKnight (7/26/2010 at 9:28 AM) Report Violation
Oh god...City's gonna win the Title this season.
City's gonna get into Europe this season.

P.S: Coca Cola Championship and Europa League.

Same guy back again:

BUTNIK79 (7/26/2010 at 9:29 AM) Report Violation
all the citeh fans boys getting nervous citing reserves.
get off it.
U***d beat celtic with the same amount of reserves. what's citeh's excuse?
this is going to be a lovely season for all the fantasy football managers to realize only tic tac toe and hangman are played on paper.

Scouse:

Lpool4ever5672 (7/26/2010 at 11:29 AM) Report Violation
i think one can completely write off man city already. i can somewhat appreciate the loss to sporting, though spurs did manage to at least draw with them. but losing to a MLS side with so many big-bucks signing?

a lot of people say friendlies are nothing. just ask chelsea, arsenal and man u, they will tell u otherwise. it's about instilling a winning mentality. imagine, if you are already playing so hard for a friendly, what's going to happen during a league or game?

i guess harry must be grinning right now, since man city is just right for the slaughter! I hope they beat them 3-0!

Some rags on the Daily Fail on their shit performance:

apart from two or three they were the main players and united think they are going to win premiership with that lot don't think so and i watch united there dominance is over this is not the old united by far
- trev, uk, 26/7/2010 07:29

Very frustrating match.
The bigest problem in this match (and all the other matches) was most deffinitely Nani and Berbatov and Gibson. These three just can't do it, simply cannot do it. Nani is very selfish, too selfish. His problem is that he wants to score himself, but United is not about that. Had he passed the ball properly United would have won.
On the other hand Berbatov, just too slow, to nonchalant. Unbeliveable. Too lazy. I would definitely sell them. Gibson too, I mean how on earth did he end up at United.
Sir Alex most deffinitely start the games with Obertan, instead of putting him last 20 minutes. Obertan must be involved from the start. He is the replacement for Ronaldo, not Nani. If we want to get something this season then Obertan must start each match.
One could see how the game changed when he got in.
But, as each game is being played, I am more and more hating to see Nani, Berbatov and Gibson in a United shirt. Get them out from United, loan them somewhere.
- Leon_Man U, Tirana, Albania, 26/7/2010 02:33

Looks like they'll be joining us in the Championship next season (unless they play Obertan!). Ha.
JB
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Neil Young!

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:34 am

john@staustell wrote:No offence to lads like Tutte, Kay, Mee and CunningHAM, but I agree with other posters that this exercise can be no earthly use in 'gelling' our first team.

Also disrespectful to sponsors of the tour and the paying public.

Obviously the world cup has interfered with Mancini's plans and he didn't really want friendlies this early. We dont need the money like Scum so why on earth bother?

The only reason I can see is to have our name bandied about a bit in the US of A for alleged marketing purposes.

We will put out a stronger side v Inter I recon. Also they have to find somewhere to work on tactics away from Doug's eagle eye.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby BobKowalski » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:44 am

I don't think so far this is about 'gelling' the first team. The youngsters were taken along to give them a taste of pre season training with the first team squad and give them a run out with some of the first team squad in two 'high profile' games. Otherwise known as 'friendlies'.

I understand that the youngsters will now fly home and the games will start to feature more of the first team squad including some of those who were on WC duty. This would suggest that all players are on a fitness schedule meaning late arrivals are only played when the management team are satisfied that the required fitness levels have been reached.

Yes the tour is about marketing and brand awareness etc etc but these should not interfere with the preparation of the squad for the PL campaign and judging by the players used and level of commitment in the first two games clearly it isn't being allowed to interfere.

Personally I don't see anything wrong in giving the youngsters the experience of the pre season training and tour games but then I'm not looking for great performances and thumping teams this early on or frankly worrying what people think because we 'lose' a game live on ESPN. Villa lost against Bohemians (with a strong team), Chelsea lose against Ajax, dippers lose against some German team, taggarts mob lost against 10 men and so on. It means fuck all. It means less than fuck all. Except on City forums where (apparently) losing a pre season friendly with a bunch of youngsters is a disgrace and shouldn't be allowed. We are in the big time and yes people will take the piss but this is the shit you get when you spend money and put your balls on the line. Maybe its time we learnt to man up, stop whining like girls and look at the big picture.

Oh and apologies to all girls reading this. Especially to the non whining ones.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby kinkylola » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:45 am

I also think that mancini is giving these games in the USA to the kids/reserves and is saving our players for the 3 games against euro opposition. (i know sporting is a european team but coming so soon after the world cup I wouldn't expect to have many top name players in it)

I think the players in these games have been given a chance to prove that they should get a look in for the final 3 games of pre-season (Inter, dortmund, Valencia .. in that order? i dunno)

Whether or not it's good for gelling purposes I dont know ... but I think it's a more delicate situation than just throwing players into games as they come into camp
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Sister of fu » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:13 am

You also have to look at players mentality for a friendly and that of a meanigful game. Im sorry to disappoint some but there is a world of difference. There is also the intensity issue which you just dont get in a pre-season friendly, its just not the same as playing in a game where you stand to loose something. So what if the media and other people wanna have a pop over a pre-season friendly, let them, what i am bothered about is what happens on the 14th August 2010 when it really matters.

I for one im not worried in the sligthest. You only have to look at Newcastle for instance who got battered 8-0 in a pre season friendly last year and there season turned out ok in the end.
Sister of fu

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Mase » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:24 am

One thing is for sure and that's this season Adebayor can't be messing about standing on the wing because we'll have Silva on one side and AJ on the other. With Tevez dropping deep if Ade does he usual trick and stands on with wing they'll be no one forward in the center.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Murph » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:30 am

Sister of fu wrote:You also have to look at players mentality for a friendly and that of a meanigful game. Im sorry to disappoint some but there is a world of difference. There is also the intensity issue which you just dont get in a pre-season friendly, its just not the same as playing in a game where you stand to loose something. So what if the media and other people wanna have a pop over a pre-season friendly, let them, what i am bothered about is what happens on the 14th August 2010 when it really matters.

I for one im not worried in the sligthest. You only have to look at Newcastle for instance who got battered 8-0 in a pre season friendly last year and there season turned out ok in the end.

Well said. I'm also not in the slightest bit worried about losing these two games. We have sent two teams onto the park that will have little resemblance to our starting 11 come the spuds game. This stage of pre-season is for getting the players fit, learning a bit about fringe players, and hopefully and most importantly not picking up any serious injuries.
"You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the fucl do you think you're talking to?"
Murph

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:43 am

Lets hope Bobby has got Megabowl booked for some team bonding when they all get back.
Lazerquest is also an option.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby dazby » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:58 am

Liverpool lost to Kaiserslautern on the weekend too. Put them down for relegated too.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby ryanmjo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:18 pm

Michigan Blue wrote:
ryanmjo wrote:Anyone know the TV situation for the Club America friendly on Wednesday? Particularly in the U.S?

Live on ESPN Deportes.

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to find a stream then.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum