now O'Neill wants to sell Milner

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: now oneill wants to sell milner

Postby Blue Noodle » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:15 pm

Dingus McDouchey wrote:
"James will know, because he is moving to a big club which wants to win the league, that he will be part of a squad. At Aston Villa he will play every week, at Manchester City he may not.

"But it's the opportunity where he thinks he can go and win the league.

"Man City is great club and he will enjoy himself there. Team-wise it's going to be difficult for everyone to get in the team."

dunney pretty much confirms he's coming to us, no?

Thoose Dunne comments were made after Citys first bid for Milner.
Blue Noodle
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Grob » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:26 pm

Milner is one of the countrys best up and coming players who already has bags of experiance. And he's currently a very good player.

Hopefully we wont budge and he'll hand a transfer request in. Then he (and we) will have Villa at check mate.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Murph » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:33 pm

Manx Blue wrote:Maybe Villa have a few bob ( tho not too much) I wonder if they had been quietly sniffing around Landon Donovan, as their attitude appears to have changed rather quickly?

I'm sure I read, or heard maybe on ssn they were linked with him a week or two ago, can't be certain where I got it from though. Sneaky of City if Donovan is a genuine Villa target. Seems to have concentrated their minds.
"You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the fucl do you think you're talking to?"
Murph
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Re: now O'Neill wants to sell Milner

Postby Blue Toy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:12 pm

An article in tomorrow's Guardian has just appeared on NewsNow.

Basically it says that Milner and O'Neill are in the middle of a finger pointing fallout. Quotes from O'Neill suggest it's going to happen and he'll be a City player.

The downside being that they want Ireland as part of the deal. I'm not sorry to see Ireland go, but I hope to fuck we don't give them £24m too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... ston-villa?
[center]Image[/center]
Blue Toy
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:07 am

Blue Toy wrote:An article in tomorrow's Guardian has just appeared on NewsNow.

Basically it says that Milner and O'Neill are in the middle of a finger pointing fallout. Quotes from O'Neill suggest it's going to happen and he'll be a City player.

The downside being that they want Ireland as part of the deal. I'm not sorry to see Ireland go, but I hope to fuck we don't give them £24m too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... ston-villa?

read that too...24M plus Ireland is seriously taking the piss, bigtime. 18M plus Ireland i could live with i suppose, but realistically why give in and let them have Ireland? i'd rather have the player than the cash.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Citeh&Crew » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:06 am

Why wouldn't you be sorry to see Stevie go? I just don't understand the angst against Ireland.. yes he was subpar compared to what he displayed last year, but c'mon, many players would be with such irregular playing time, and having to adapt to two different managers in one season. Ireland is a class player, and many here seem to have forgotten just what kind of class he posesses.

What I fear, is that we get rid of Ireland, and he does what Dunney did, which is go to another Prem club and perform lights out, while we twiddle our thumbs and think, "why the hell did we let him go?". With Silva coming in, Ireland would be a great compliment.. if Mancini fancies an attacking style this season.
Citeh&Crew

Postby SilvaKrAzY » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:12 am

Citeh&Crew wrote:Why wouldn't you be sorry to see Stevie go? I just don't understand the angst against Ireland.. yes he was subpar compared to what he displayed last year, but c'mon, many players would be with such irregular playing time, and having to adapt to two different managers in one season. Ireland is a class player, and many here seem to have forgotten just what kind of class he posesses.

What I fear, is that we get rid of Ireland, and he does what Dunney did, which is go to another Prem club and perform lights out, while we twiddle our thumbs and think, "why the hell did we let him go?". With Silva coming in, Ireland would be a great compliment.. if Mancini fancies an attacking style this season.

I agree he is a very good player on his day but he's just out of favour with Bobby Manc. And we have Silva and other good players in similar roles so I could see Ireland getting off sometime soon
BLUE MOON SILVAKRAZY MCFC 4 LIFE!
SilvaKrAzY
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Carlos Tevez and Jinky

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:39 pm

If Mancini is sure he can't get Ireland back in the form of yesteryear then I could live with straight swap. Ireland is better player of the two but if the form isn't there then it'd be acceptable. To actually pay anything on top of that would be awfull.

And it'd leave us with not single playmaker. Happy days. It was only thing I really wanted us to sign this summer.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby sandman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:45 pm

If Villa really turned down a £20m offer then we should go back with £19m take it or leave it offer now that O'Leary has declared Milner wants to go and Milner said it bollocks, O'Leary will look a chump now if he stays?

We should give him until thursday to mull it over and see what he does when no better bids come in.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby john@staustell » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:46 pm

sandman wrote:If Villa really turned down a £20m offer then we should go back with £19m take it or leave it offer now that O'Leary has declared Milner wants to go and Milner said it bollocks, O'Leary will look a chump now if he stays?

We should give him until thursday to mull it over and see what he does when no better bids come in.

Gone a bit RETRO there haven't you Sandman!?

O'Leary, O'Neill, whats the difference?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Craig B » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:47 pm

sandman wrote:If Villa really turned down a £20m offer then we should go back with £19m take it or leave it offer now that O'Leary has declared Milner wants to go and Milner said it bollocks, O'Leary will look a chump now if he stays?

He certainly will seen as he's not been the manager for about 4 years now! :0)
"..The object of playing any game is for enjoyment. If you have enjoyed it and done your best you have won no matter what the result." - Joe Mercer OBE
Craig B
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby CityGer » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:50 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:If Mancini is sure he can't get Ireland back in the form of yesteryear then I could live with straight swap. Ireland is better player of the two but if the form isn't there then it'd be acceptable. To actually pay anything on top of that would be awfull.

And it'd leave us with not single playmaker. Happy days. It was only thing I really wanted us to sign this summer.

David Silva? I think that Bobby reckons he already has his playmaker.

I know you'll point to Silva being a wide man, it remains to be seen where Silva will play (I've seen him in the middle plenty of times for Valencia), but playmakers don't necessarily have to play through the middle. Arsenal won the league and went a season undefeated without playing with someone creative through the middle. We have plenty of creativity in the squad.

Also, Ireland is not a better than Milner player. He can't find anything like the level of consistency required therefore the jury is out on him. Milner has been on a progressive upward curve for the last 4/5 seasons culminating in him being one of the top five midfielders in the premiership last season.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:56 pm

CityGer wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:If Mancini is sure he can't get Ireland back in the form of yesteryear then I could live with straight swap. Ireland is better player of the two but if the form isn't there then it'd be acceptable. To actually pay anything on top of that would be awfull.

David Silva? I think that Bobby reckons he already has his playmaker.

I know you'll point to Silva being a wide man, it remains to be seen where Silva will play (I've seen him in the middle plenty of times for Valencia), but playmakers don't necessarily have to play through the middle. Arsenal won the league and went a season undefeated without playing with someone creative through the middle. We have plenty of creativity in the squad.

Also, Ireland is not a better than Milner player. He can't find anything like the level of consistency required therefore the jury is out on him. Milner has been on a progressive upward curve for the last 4/5 seasons culminating in him being one of the top five midfielders in the premiership last season.

can't really argue with that but Ireland was among top 5 midfielders in league season before that. While his form has been patchy, he has talent to be among leading playmakers in the league.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Goaters 103 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:21 pm

Irelands had 1 good season, and tends to go missing against the Man U'sand Chelsea's of this world. Granted his one good season was a pleasure but he regressed again last year and appears to have thrown his toys out of the pram when he was justifiably left on the bench.

I think he's a goner as Mancini wont build a team formation around him like he had under Hughes. Nothing against Ireland but there are reasons why he's out of favour. Rather than knuckle down and push again Steven seems to have taken the easier route and decided he wants to move on, which would be a shame for him and the club but so be it. Contrary to the belief of some I am convinced we will somehow survive without him.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:03 pm

I wont shed a tear if/when Ireland leaves us - I got sick and tired of watching him last season especially against the Rags.

Talent is probably there still, but unfortunatly we only saw it for one season.....we cannot afford to carry players who might just decide to show us what they did a couple of seasons ago.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby gillie » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:35 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:I wont shed a tear if/when Ireland leaves us - I got sick and tired of watching him last season especially against the Rags.

Talent is probably there still, but unfortunatly we only saw it for one season.....we cannot afford to carry players who might just decide to show us what they did a couple of seasons ago.

Carl imo its all about desire with Ireland if he has the desire to stay and fight for a place by getting back to the player we know he can be then he will succeed if he has'nt that desire he will be off first chance he gets.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Grob » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:17 am

Maybe Ireland had his Santa Cruz season 2 years ago?
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby mcfc1632 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:27 am

gillie wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:I wont shed a tear if/when Ireland leaves us - I got sick and tired of watching him last season especially against the Rags.

Carl imo its all about desire with Ireland if he has the desire to stay and fight for a place by getting back to the player we know he can be then he will succeed if he has'nt that desire he will be off first chance he gets.

Agreed- but this is CITY's time - we should not be about 'twisting in the wind' - trying to motivate players to have desire etc

If they have not got it - with a massive hunger - then sorry we need to move on - I was looking for commitment from Stevie last night - and I am still hopeful

...but we have no time to wait for players to 'find' some determination
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby bluej » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:52 am

mcfc1632 wrote:
gillie wrote:

Agreed- but this is CITY's time - we should not be about 'twisting in the wind' - trying to motivate players to have desire etc

If they have not got it - with a massive hunger - then sorry we need to move on - I was looking for commitment from Stevie last night - and I am still hopeful

...but we have no time to wait for players to 'find' some determination

I just can't see how players like Ireland can't get get themselves motivated to play for a club that is on the verge of something incredible and would rather go and play for the likes of villa/everton where they don't have to prove anything to anyone. Baffling.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby CitizenYank » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:05 pm

I still think we should give Stephen another chance, because we've seen what he can do when he puts
his mind too it. I am still not sold on Milner (esp on defense.)
Never touch the clowns. Let the clowns touch you!
CitizenYank
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City, P Timbers

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum