pre-season games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

pre-season games

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:23 pm

I am quite sad we have gone all commercial. We play the likes of Sporting lisbon, borrusia dortmund, inter milan and valencia... I miss the doncasters and the macclesfields from pre-season. I used to love going to pre-season games :-(
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: pre-season games

Postby Vhero » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:24 pm

Wonderwall wrote:I am quite sad we have gone all commercial. We play the likes of Sporting lisbon, borrusia dortmund, inter milan and valencia... I miss the doncasters and the macclesfields from pre-season. I used to love going to pre-season games :-(

0_o WHAT?!?!?
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Vhero wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:I am quite sad we have gone all commercial. We play the likes of Sporting lisbon, borrusia dortmund, inter milan and valencia... I miss the doncasters and the macclesfields from pre-season. I used to love going to pre-season games :-(

0_o WHAT?!?!?

I am genuine, I used to love going all over the country watching City in pre-season. It was a really good laugh, unless you have been and done it you wont know what you have been missing.
Wonderwall

Postby Vhero » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:53 pm

Meh I love how we play big teams and beat them now like when we beat Barca last season. No real pride in beating Macclesfield.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:59 pm

Vhero wrote:Meh I love how we play big teams and beat them now like when we beat Barca last season. No real pride in beating Macclesfield.

I like that too, but I am looking at it from a purey selfish point of view that I wont be able to take my lads, lass, sven and grandlass to the pre-season games.

Anyone who went to the doncaster away pre-season friendly where Joey Barton decided to have a ding dong will testify it was a very funny day. Especially the warm up shooting practice by Doncaster. They started with 20 balls and ended up with zero as the city fans kept catching them and throwing them over the wall. They were begging for the last one not to be thrown as they couldnt do any more shooting practice.... its little moments like those that stick with you.
Wonderwall

Postby sandman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:02 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Vhero wrote:

0_o WHAT?!?!?

I am genuine, I used to love going all over the country watching City in pre-season. It was a really good laugh, unless you have been and done it you wont know what you have been missing.

I totally agree, I loved getting to play lower league opposition, the lower league grounds remind me what football was like 20 years ago.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Vhero » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Vhero wrote:Meh I love how we play big teams and beat them now like when we beat Barca last season. No real pride in beating Macclesfield.

I like that too, but I am looking at it from a purey selfish point of view that I wont be able to take my lads, lass, sven and grandlass to the pre-season games.

Anyone who went to the doncaster away pre-season friendly where Joey Barton decided to have a ding dong will testify it was a very funny day. Especially the warm up shooting practice by Doncaster. They started with 20 balls and ended up with zero as the city fans kept catching them and throwing them over the wall. They were begging for the last one not to be thrown as they couldnt do any more shooting practice.... its little moments like those that stick with you.

Yeah you have a point there.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:05 pm

I totally agree mate, and even worse is that we have only one UK based game booked. Even the Thomas Cook Trophy will be played in Germany!

23 July 2010 Sporting Lisbon New York Football Challenge Away

25 July 2010 New York Red Bulls New York Football Challenge Away

28 July 2010 20:00 Club America Pre-Season Friendly Away

31 July 2010 20:00 Inter Milan Pre-Season Friendly Away

04 August 2010 20:00 Borussia Dortmund Ferrostaal Cup Away

07 August 2010 19:00 Valencia CF Pre-Season Friendly Home

Looks like I'll have to spend my money elsewhere this pre-season!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby King Kev » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:22 pm

I'm sure we are playing Macclesfield, I definately heard it somewhere.

Maybe it's not the first team?
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:19 am

King Kev wrote:I'm sure we are playing Macclesfield, I definately heard it somewhere.

Maybe it's not the first team?

the last time I sat with you at Macc pre-season, SWP ws warming up on the pitch but then fucled off before kick off and drove to chelsea!
Wonderwall

Postby ross.mcfc » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:52 am

We should definetly be helping the local sides by playing them in pre season friendlies so they can raise a bit of cash. Even if it is just a second team.

Had many a good away day at obscure little grounds at friendlies
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:15 am

Bloody hell guys are we supposed to be playing local sides to boost their coffers and give our families a cheap day out - City at Exeter and Plymouth are among my joyous family pre-season memories - or preparing professionally to win the Premier League, whilst boosting our Platini-watched coffers along the way?

Personally I prefer the big games to the situation where SCUM & Arsenal were playing someone like Ajax and we were playing Maccy!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby mr_nool » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:40 am

john@staustell wrote:
Bloody hell guys are we supposed to be playing local sides to boost their coffers and give our families a cheap day out - City at Exeter and Plymouth are among my joyous family pre-season memories - or preparing professionally to win the Premier League, whilst boosting our Platini-watched coffers along the way?

Personally I prefer the big games to the situation where SCUM & Arsenal were playing someone like Ajax and we were playing Maccy!

What's up with the emoticons. Second one today. Stop or I will foe you!

;-)
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:22 pm

mr_nool wrote:
john@staustell wrote:

;-)

You've just copied it. Oops, I just copied it again!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:04 pm

john@staustell wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
john@staustell wrote:

;-)

You guys are wierd...what emoticons?
Wonderwall

Postby Grob » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:49 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
john@staustell wrote:

;-)

You guys are wierd...what emoticons?

wierd stroke sexy
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby ant london » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:36 am

We've got a match against Morecambe or Grimsby or something like that

But I think it's an U21/Reserve pre-season game
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Dipstick » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:48 am

I prefer that we play the smaller local clubs in pre-season friendlies, but let's face it we have a big enough squad to do both.

And every cloud has a silver lining - some of those big games will be on tv.
"People say I'm egocentric, but enough about them." Lily Allen
Dipstick
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchster CIty
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby kinkylola » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:38 am

you have to play teams that are going to get your squad prepared for the league ... I think these friendlies tick 2 boxes. Income & Team preparation.

I can see you guys having a different opinion, being local lads and all ... but from an outside manchester perspective, this is much more desirable. I think if you look at it objectively as well, you will see it is better for the team in just about every way.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Grob » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Pre season is usually around about 6 weeks long. In a perfect world i would be looking at this sort of activity

Week 1 - Fitness on home turf for the first few days, mid week fly to a local neighbouring country for week long fitness and tactics trip, non sanctioned warm up game whilst there.

Week 2 - Finish trip mid week, local friendly with lower league club at the end of this week.

Week 3 - Fly abroad to lucrative pre season tournament, play money friendlys

Week 4 - Continue lucrative pre season tour, back for the weekend and rest

Week 5 - Build up to season, monday/tuesday friendly against lower league oppo. Saturday season opener friendly at COMS against continental oppo.

Week 6 - Get ready for Spurs, beat Spurs at the weekend.

Easy
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum