If You Could Change One Rule In Football...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

If You Could Change One Rule In Football...

Postby King Kev » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:54 pm

what would it be and why?

Mine would be that if you injure a player so that he has to go off the pitch to have treatment, you have to go off for the same period of time. At the moment the team committing the offence gains the advantage because they get to play against 10 men for a while.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: If You Could Change One Rule In Football...

Postby Feed The Goat » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:04 pm

Playing till united score to go in the lead at old Trafford shouldn't be allowed.
Mcf.net best app in the land and all the world
Feed The Goat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:09 pm

I get your thinking KK, but there's the other side... I'd guess (and I admit it's just that, a guess) that 90% of the times I've seen a player go off for 'treatment' he actually doesn't need it and is time wasting. The amount of times we see players rolling about only to be sprinting on 30 seconds later is ludicrous.

I'd like to see a system, similar to rugby, where only captains were allowed to speak to officials and anything like mock card waving, trying to get a fellow professional carded, was swiftly punished.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby King Kev » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:14 pm

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:I get your thinking KK, but there's the other side... I'd guess (and I admit it's just that, a guess) that 90% of the times I've seen a player go off for 'treatment' he actually doesn't need it and is time wasting. The amount of times we see players rolling about only to be sprinting on 30 seconds later is ludicrous.

I'd like to see a system, similar to rugby, where only captains were allowed to speak to officials and anything like mock card waving, trying to get a fellow professional carded, was swiftly punished.

I'm talking about situations like this afternoon when a Paraguay player had to leave the pitch (the Ref made him go) because he had a bust nose, but the Spaniard who bust his nose was allowed to stay on. As the rules stand the aggressor is benefiting.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Kladze » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:53 pm

I'd like to see the offside law abolished entirely.

Before you scoff scornfully, I also scorned scofffully when the thought first occurred to me but there's actually no reason at all to suggest it wouldn't be beneficial. And it would also 'open up' the field of play, thus negating the extra speed, fitness, and general athletic capability of the modern player - we can't make the pitch bigger after all.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby edge275 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:58 pm

Although I'm pretty sure this is already a rule it pisses me off when people grab hold of each other and pull shirts and arms in the penalty box and 90% of the time nothing is done about it.

I was glad to see the ref giving Paraguay a penalty today when Pique decided to do just that.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby ronk » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:02 pm

Retroactive punishment for diving, zealously implemented. Also naming and shaming people who feign injury to get someone booked.

(all in one rule)
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Lev Bronstein » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:05 am

Kladze wrote:I'd like to see the offside law abolished entirely.

Before you scoff scornfully, I also scorned scofffully when the thought first occurred to me but there's actually no reason at all to suggest it wouldn't be beneficial. And it would also 'open up' the field of play, thus negating the extra speed, fitness, and general athletic capability of the modern player - we can't make the pitch bigger after all.

Sorry, iy would just make teams more defensive
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby WiganBlue » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:20 am

Physio's can come on the pitch while ball is still in play.
WiganBlue
Superman's Underpants

Postby Dingus McDouchey » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:32 am

Penalty kicks after a league draw. 1 additional point awarded to the winner.
It would offer more value for money in the case of a boring draw.
Berbatov wins golden boot, spends following season on the bench while his team loses title on goal difference. Well played, Fergie.
Dingus McDouchey
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby halnone » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:10 am

Referees being able to use video replay to aid with some calls
halnone
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby ryanmjo » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:10 am

I love the idea of only captains being allowed to talk to the referee.

My submission is that the offside rule should be modified. Instead of any part of the attacking players body being offside resulting in offside, I would change it to the player is onside if even one part of him is onside. That would ensure that more of the halfway decisions go for the striker.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby mcfc1632 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:11 am

The one that has always pissed me off is the 'obstruction' that is allowed to take place with defenders sheperding the ball out of play whilst making no attempt to play it
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:34 am

i would add time outs, cheerleaders, foul shots, extra point conversions, field goals, grand slams, 3 pt shots, stolen bases, sudden death overtime, ground-rule doubles, flagrant fouls, called 3rd strikes, instant replay, coach's challenges, and hot dogs.

Just sayin.

Also, knob creek. i'd add that. the concessions need some small batch american whisky. as if. whatev.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby john68 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:56 am

To please Doomie...
I would like to see a WORLD CLUB COMPETITION with only English clubs competing.

To please Florida Blue...
A play off system at the end of each season that would allow the club that finished bottom to become League Champions.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby john68 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:01 am

The adoption of the "On Report" and Citing" rule used in Rugby League.
If a player commits an offence and the ref believes it has taken place but hasn't actually seen it, he can put the incident on report to be viewed by a video panel and retrospective action can be taken. This aslo applies to clubs who can report or cite a player for an incident unseen by the ref.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Postby Slim » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:09 am

1. Sheparding: You can only shield a ball with your body once you have touched the ball.
2. Offside rule: All players are considered active, enough with this altering the fucking rule. Player offside? ITS OFFSIDE, seriously these are paid professionals, learn to play the fucking game.
3. Goal referees: Two extra assistants who's role it is to get a second view on penalty decisions and when the ball crosses/doesn't cross the line.
4. Diving: Can be retroactively banned from the game via video, same as a red 3 match ban.

But the one I would change is a bit indepth.
5. Red Cards: If a player is dismissed:
a. For a one match ban, he misses the next match against the same opposition.
b. For any longer ban, he misses the next match against the same opposition, the remainder of the ban to be served in the following fixtures from date of the incident.
c. If a match between the two opponents does not occur in the remainder of the current season and the entirety of the following season and has no reasonable assurance of occurring in the season following this period, the player shall miss the first relevant match of that season.
d. If the offending player injures another player during the incident and is deemed to be dangerous play, the offender shall serve a ban equal to the length of the injury, after which time they can begin serving their ban for the dismissal.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john68 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:42 am

Slim,
If I was in charge of FIFA...everyone of those would be in place for the new season.
Well impressed.
john68

Postby Vhero » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:19 am

Players who teams are up who consistently foul to slow down the game and thus stop opponents should be cautioned. Or at a close second when a teams up by a goal with only minutes to go and the ball goes out of play for a throw in or there is a free kick a lot of the time nobody will rush to take it to waste time. Teams should be punished in some way for this like the captain getting a yellow for his team blatantly slowing the game down just for an advantage.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby daveh1962 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:31 am

I would stop this unwritten rule of players kicking the ball out when a player has been "injured". It is up to the referee to stop the game if he thinks the tackle was fair but the player is rolling on the floor tough get on with it and play to the whistle it would stop this blatant time wasting. The only exception would be for a clash of heads
daveh1962
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum