Uruguay v Ghana

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Uruguay v Ghana

Postby Spurge » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:11 pm

Well I for one am well chuffed that Uruguay went through and I thought they thoroughly deserved it.

If you want to go down the cheating route look no further than John Mensa (so glad he missed his penner) and the lad Gyan (who missed his penner in extra time).

Both these players went down like they had been seriously injured - Mensah claimed he'd been hit in the throat - we all saw it was nothing - and Gyan went tumbling in the box when tackled - what was a quality challenge, thankfully the ref didn't give it and when he eventually returned to his feet he was running around freely enough in seconds.

A shame Gyan had to cheat because he is a strong and determined athlete, who would be a really good striker if, along with the rest of Ghanaian side, was a little more composed in front of goal. For all their effort they still have a naivety about them like most African sides, but I felt that Uruguay were well disciplined and had that bit of added quality.

Equally they should have had a clear penalty late on when Panstill clearly tripped Abreu but nothing was given. And most of the good chances fell to Uruguay, Suarez should have walked of that pitch at 90 mins having bagged a couple instead of seeing red after 120 mins - either way he ironically still walks off the hero after his goal line 'save'. He did remarkably well to stop the first effort legitimately, but had to use his hands to stop the follow up. Yes it is cheating but who wouldn't have done that in his situation, there's something about the circumstances which led to his red as being acceptable for me unlike Mensah and Gyan feigning injury to try and trick the referee.

Thats the thing Suarez was not trying to trick anyone he just did what he had to do and thats the difference.

On the subject of Suarez, I'm sure the majority thought he would be a waste of money when a thread was started about him earlier on in the competition, but I think he has all the right qualities and attributes a striker should have. He's strong and slippery with a typical predatory instinct. His movement is excellent and he loses defenders with ease in order to create that half a yard - tonight was not his night from a goalscoring perspective but I don't blame him for what he did at the death - indeed he had tracked back to defend when other strikers may have felt it was someone else’s responsibility.

I think he'd be excellent at City. I'd like Ozil and Sanchez to join him!

Final word on Ghana - well ITV's usual amateurish attitude, assuming we'd all adopted them as our second team didn't inspire me to will them on. I watched them initially against Australia when a Gyan penner earned them anything but a well deserved point against the 10 man Aussies, they put up a much better display against Germany but they've scored very few goals from open play which I'm afraid is the overriding factor here - still got a way to go to be a genuine threat at world level.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby ryanmjo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:39 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:
ryanmjo wrote:
david yearsley wrote:Disgusting from Suarez celebrating his blatant piece of cheating when Gyan missed the pen - should have scored though

That's going to be an interesting discussion I think. Is Suarez a cheater, or is he really smart?

What's wrong with it?
He made a mistake. He got punished (peno & red). The whole team got punished. It's Gyan's fault Ghana didn't win. Imo end of story.

I fully agree with you. Just saying that there are some who won't, and I can almost see where they are coming from.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby shawzy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:53 pm

He delib stopped a dead cert goal..As a pro he should be embarrassed and ashamed goin through to the next round in that way...A total cheat in my eyes..Id hate city to win a cup final in that way..
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby gillie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:02 pm

shawzy wrote:He delib stopped a dead cert goal..As a pro he should be embarrassed and ashamed goin through to the next round in that way...A total cheat in my eyes..Id hate city to win a cup final in that way..

Imo handball on the line to stop a certain goal should be penalised as such.
Goal awarded.
Player sent off.
Suarez could have headed it out no need for the handball.Imo he cheated.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby halnone » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:11 pm

It's all part of the game. He suffered a red card which will suspend him from the next game and conceded a penalty. I think that's punishment enough. I would have done the same thing. It's Ghana's fault for not scoring the penalty.
halnone
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby halnone » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:17 pm

gillie wrote:
shawzy wrote:He delib stopped a dead cert goal..As a pro he should be embarrassed and ashamed goin through to the next round in that way...A total cheat in my eyes..Id hate city to win a cup final in that way..

Imo handball on the line to stop a certain goal should be penalised as such.
Goal awarded.
Player sent off.
Suarez could have headed it out no need for the handball.Imo he cheated.

that would be fucking impossible without video technology. Imagine if the ref got the handball wrong and ended up awarding a goal and sending the player off for no reason. i would hate giving refs even more power like that.
halnone
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby shawzy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:21 pm

halnone wrote:It's all part of the game. He suffered a red card which will suspend him from the next game and conceded a penalty. I think that's punishment enough. I would have done the same thing. It's Ghana's fault for not scoring the penalty.

Ye but he stopped a goal in a unfair way...Takin a pen in a world cup is not easy as Ghana found out...Overall nothin can be done but alot of footie fans will not like Uraguay to go any further after that.Me inc.
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby Lev Bronstein » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:54 pm

I raced off to the pub at full time. My heart was bursting with pride, not for a particular team - well, for both teams. That game just swept away the cynicism. I walked off to the pub thinking "God, isn't football a great game."

Now, why don't I feel that about England?
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby david yearsley » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:30 pm

Chairing the cnut off a la Bobby Moore tells you that the South American mentality is a "win at all costs" one. Lets face it them and the Italians were the instigators of the cynical /proffesional foul or as they disgustingly like to call it the "tactical " foul . Talk about a fuclin euphemism!! I would take it if it came our way but I wouldn´t be at all comfortable with it and that includes City and I would at least show some semblance of humility,sympathy and understanding towards our opponent. Uruguay from top to bottom have brazenly refused to do so
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum