Hughes/Platt Double Standards?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Hughes/Platt Double Standards?

Postby King Kev » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:20 am

Those of us who didn't like hughes from the start got a pretty hard time form certain people on here. Whether we disliked him because he is a mune or because we just didn't think he was up to the job we were met with, almost universal, calls to 'get behind him' and 'give him time' etc etc etc

Now that platt has joined our club it seems that pretty much everybody is against the idea (and quite rightly so imo).

So, I was just wondering if those who called for us to get behind hughes but are now saying they disagree with the signing of platt could explain the difference please?

Are you guilty of double standards or is there a glaring difference between the 2 that I have missed?

Thanks
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: Hughes/Platt Double Standards?

Postby mcfc1632 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:27 am

I will have a go at answering this:

For me there are only a few ex scum players that fit into the category of - could never have anything to do with CITY because they are the personification of all things that we hate about that aggrogant club - Keane - Neville sisters etc...

Hughes did not fall into that group - and certainly Platt does not...

I think people are getting confused about Platt - it is not just because he was a scum player - it is 90% down to the way he has spoken and acted with utter contempt about all things CITY - especially since the Sheik arrived - he drips disdain and contempt towards us - and now he wants on-board the gravy train - a very bad decision by CITY who pride themselves on being in-tune with the views of fans
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Buffalo Soldier » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:55 am

For starters, there's a world of difference getting behind the manager and getting behind a member of the coaching staff.

Also, Hughes had been building a reputation as one of the best young coaches in the country and had done a decent enough job at Blackburn/Wales and despite his rag past, he didn't have a recent history of slagging us off in the media week after week.

Platt destroyed Nottingham Forest and almost destroyed SWP, did a shit job at Sampdoria and failed to get a talented group of Under 21's to qualify for the 2004 tournament and was regularly seen slating the club at every given opportunity in the last few years. Also he's a fish eyed, smug twat.

I know that it's always fun for you to try and stick the knife into Hughes at every possible turn, but the two don't compare KK.
Buffalo Soldier
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Chinners » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:00 am

mcfc1632 wrote:I will have a go at answering this:

For me there are only a few ex scum players that fit into the category of - could never have anything to do with CITY because they are the personification of all things that we hate about that aggrogant club - Keane - Neville sisters etc...

I think people are getting confused about Platt - it is not just because he was a scum player - it is 90% down to the way he has spoken and acted with utter contempt about all things CITY - especially since the Sheik arrived - he drips disdain and contempt towards us - and now he wants on-board the gravy train - a very bad decision by CITY who pride themselves on being in-tune with the views of fans

Good reply! As far as being a Rag, I think Platt had less playing time there than Shaun Goater so thats a non starter for me.. As mcfc1632 saiys it's his continued digs at City that pish me off ... and he's probably going to be as good a coach as he was a manager/pundit. I certainly didn't want Hughes in the first place but I did like the way he spoke about, and continues to speak about, our club.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby BobKowalski » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:02 am

This pretty much seems to be it.

Personally I am not that fussed who the backroom staff are as long as they are competent. I don't know if Platt is competent as a coach just as I don't know if any of the other coaches are competent but Mancini seems to think they are and since he has to live or die by these decisions then fair enough. Its his arse on the line not mine. Platt has a crap record as manager but then so does Kidd and as we are not employing Platt as manager or even it seems assistant manager I don't see the relevance.

I think I have seen/heard Platt 2 or 3 times in the media and clearly I wasn't paying attention (not unusual when it comes to pundits) but if some of the direct quotes attributed to Platt are true I can see peoples objections; especially the hypocrisy at taking the Sheikh's dollar after criticising players for doing the same. Saying that the sheer venom on here and elsewhere including hoping that we have a crap start so that Platt gets the blame and is sacked (yeah thats how it works) or that this has taken the shine off the Silva signing is borderline crazy talk. I mean really? People are so pissed over the signing of a fucking coach that it ruins the signing one of Europe's young talents? Bizarre.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Chinners » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:11 am

BobKowalski wrote: People are so pissed over the signing of a fucking coach that it ruins the signing one of Europe's young talents? Bizarre.

In a word, yes. I thought we had ditched this one step forward two steps back m'larky
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby blue wine » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:15 am

i'm still fucking fuming about platt beeing at my club!! I just don't understand it..every fucking time were on the right path some thing or some fucks it up!!! :(

can someone pleeeeease do a POLL? a simple yes or no. just want to see how many think its a good idea
blue wine
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: swp

Postby BobKowalski » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:23 am

Chinners wrote:
BobKowalski wrote: People are so pissed over the signing of a fucking coach that it ruins the signing one of Europe's young talents? Bizarre.

In a word, yes. I thought we had ditched this one step forward two steps back m'larky

You've lost me on this one. As have 99% of people on here I guess. Oh well :)

But if we do a poll over the appointment of a coach - well for once I would be genuinely stunned
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Wooders » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:29 am

The answers that have been given are reasonable ones though - hughes was a decent young manager who never condemned city and platt seems to have made a bit of a career out of it

Anyway, is it really gonna affect any of us?
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby ant london » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:43 am

KK I thought you and others were idiots for the anti-Hughes campaigning

I think the same of all the anti-Platt nonsense

Personally I don't think he's done anything much to merit a position here, nothing on his CV to date indicates top level coaching ability.

However, if anyone deserves a slagging over this, it's Roberto Mancini for bringing "one of his mates in". That said, I don't intend to do so. I will do what I did with Hughes, give him and his staff time to get it right.

The usual suspects will no doubt focus the same negative energy on Platt as they did Hughes. Idiotic
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby btajim » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:43 am

King Kev wrote:Those of us who didn't like hughes from the start got a pretty hard time form certain people on here. Whether we disliked him because he is a mune or because we just didn't think he was up to the job we were met with, almost universal, calls to 'get behind him' and 'give him time' etc etc etc

You're such a victim, Lee. The Hughes Out Brigade ruled this Forum during the darkest spells with threats, name calling and general 10 on 1 abuse against anyone who dared defend our Manager. I also hear it was the Hughes In Brigade throwing the punches at West Brom. i.e. "You bad mouth our Manager and I'll beat you up."

It was you and yet another of your alcohol fuelled speeches that told everybody to get behind Mancini despite your continued petulance throughout the Hughes reign. That's double standards. I note you've since never directly communicated with me following my challenge to your view.

The crucial difference that you have missed is that Hughes is never recorded to have said anything unpleasant about City in recent years whilst David Platt has.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Vhero » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:46 am

Massive difference here Hughes never constantly slagged off our club and showed his hatred for us before coming to us Platt did.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby btajim » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:49 am

I'm laughing at this whole thing, now. My view of Manchester City has changed. I'm still Blue - but I'm seeing other people and their motives in a completely different light.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby avoidconfusion » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:51 am

Vhero wrote:Massive difference here Hughes never constantly slagged off our club and showed his hatred for us before coming to us Platt did.

This.

Platt in 2009 on SSN:

"They only signed for City for the gravy train"

OH THE IRONY!
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion

My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Exiled » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:52 am

Sounds like he'll be as popular as Sam Ellis was.
Exiled
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:53 am

Chinners wrote:

Good reply! As far as being a Rag, I think Platt had less playing time there than Shaun Goater so thats a non starter for me.. As mcfc1632 saiys it's his continued digs at City that pish me off ... and he's probably going to be as good a coach as he was a manager/pundit. I certainly didn't want Hughes in the first place but I did like the way he spoke about, and continues to speak about, our club.

I'm pretty sure reading interview with him years ago and he said himself that he is born and bred rag supporter. Used to have big banter with Lee Dixon. So VERY VERY different thing to just playing for them.

Had to do bit of googling to back my claim as well. Sorry about the source but it's the first post.

http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/footba ... -club.html

Regarding original subject of the topic

Category A: All rag supporters (including Platt, Beckscum), k***e, Neville, Baconface =Fucking uberevils..... none of these should be let anywhere near City unless we have sniper aiming at them

Category B: Hughes, fake-Ronaldo, Steve Bruce, Bryan Robson, Paul Ince, Bobby Charlton, Eric Cuntona, Andrew "Andy" Cole = Horrible little shits ..... none of these should be let anywhere near City unless we have Guv'nors waiting around the corner

Category C: All other Rags who ever played for them = None of these should be let anywhere near City
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Beeks » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:54 am

David Platt slagged us off at every opportunity...that and he knows fuck all about football...the only reason I don't want him to be at our club...couldn't give a toss about his rag affiliation
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Kladze » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:57 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:David Platt slagged us off at every opportunity...that and he knows fuck all about football...the only reason I don't want him to be at our club...couldn't give a toss about his rag affiliation

I second this
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby john@staustell » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:59 am

The obvious answers to this thread have already been given - mainly based on his continually running down City and his serial incompetence.

Normally I would back the club line, but not on this idiot.

Doesn't compare with the Hughes appointment one little bit.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Wooders » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:08 am

wasn't "jobs for the boys" a major concern for the hughes out brigade?
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum