City's Silva to shine on

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

City's Silva to shine on

Postby Kladze » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:55 am

City's Silva to shine on

Stuart Brennan

July 01, 2010

Manchester City fans can be sure that exciting new signing David Silva knows his onions – not to mention his potatoes and oranges!

The Spain star honed his skills as a four-year-old by dribbling any spherical fruit and veg around his grandma’s kitchen in the little Gran Canaria fishing village of Arguineguin.

The diminutive playmaker even had a spell as a manager at the age of eight years old – albeit short and tongue-in-cheek.

Silva is a hero in the Canary Isles, better known for its holiday resorts and volcanoes than its production of sporting talent.

And he is also big in Japan, as his mother Eva is of Japanese descent.

But Silva is all set to explode as a major star for City, following the agreement of a £25m deal with Valencia.

Blues boss Roberto Mancini is a dedicated student of the game, and as a young coach studying at the Italian national football centre at Coverciano, he wrote a discourse on “El Trequartista”, or attacking midfielder.

That is why he set his sights on Silva from the moment he surveyed the players at his disposal at Eastlands.

He recognised that, with Stevie Ireland playing well below his capability, City were short of a high-quality playmaker, someone who could pull the strings and serve up chances for Carlos Tevez and Emmanuel Adebayor.

Blessed with quick feet, pace, flair and a lightning football brain, Silva will also have the perfect midfield foil in Yaya Toure, who provides beef and power as well as good technical ability.

Silva also brings a quiet nature and settled family background, and claims to have been eyeing City’s progress for the last 18 months.

He was born in 1984 in the fishing village of Arguineguin, off the beaten tourist track in Gran Canaria, and was brought up in his paternal grandparents’ three-storey home, overlooking the harbour.

Silva youth

In a house full of siblings and cousins, Silva soon showed some prowess by kicking around the potatoes and oranges until his frustrated grandma made him a small ball out of old rags. Playing with his cousin Ranzel and neighbours in the alleyway at the side of the house, it soon became apparent he had a rare gift.

Ranzel, who still plays for the Arguineguin team, said: “David was good with the ball from being a boy.

“I am a year older than him and when he played with us, he was better than my whole team, who were all older than him.”

He was also a dedicated and determined little soul. Acting as a ballboy for the local semi-professional team, he had his arm broken by a wayward shot – but rather than give up the privilege, he turned up for the next game with his arm in plaster.

Dad Fernando Jimenez was manager of a local amateur outfit, and when he missed training would put eight-year-old David in charge of his adult side, to much amusement.

That mixture of skill and dedication attracted La Liga outfit Valencia, and they invited him to join their youth ranks as a 14-year-old.

Real Madrid had taken a look, but decided the Canarian was too small to ever be a footballer.

At first anxious about being away from home and his close-knit family and friends, Silva had many unhappy moments of doubt as he rang home every night.

But Ranzel urged him to stick at it and he was also driven on by his urge to be like his idol, the Danish ace Michael Laudrup who starred for both Barcelona and Real Madrid in the 80s and 90s.

Eventually his mum, dad and younger siblings Natalia and Nano moved to Valencia to be with him. Silva’s career, boosted by home cooking and family warmth, took off.

He was soon a regular – and regular goalscorer – in the Spain Under-17 side which he helped to reach European and world finals, and made his professional debut as an 18-year-old when loaned out to second division side Eibar.

He scored five goals in 35 games for them and the following season was handed a tougher loan spell at Celta Vigo, newly promoted and expected to struggle.

Silva helped to inspire them to an unlikely surge into a Uefa Cup placing, scoring four goals in 35 games from midfield. He also became a Spain Under-19 stalwart, helping them to the European title in 2004.

Valencia knew he was ready, and they hurled him into their league campaign in 2006-07.

His rise to fame and fortune was on a steep upward curve, as Valencia won the Spanish Cup in 2008 and that same summer he became the first Canarian to win a major European football trophy as Spain triumphed at Euro 2008.

Goals and glory followed, and every time the ball hits the back of the net, Silva makes a poignant tribute to his cousin Cyntia, who died at the age of three. He blows kisses to the heavens, and carries a photo of the little girl wherever he goes. Those tender kisses are now all set to become a feature for City next season.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... o_shine_on
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Re: City's Silva to shine on

Postby Vhero » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:06 pm

Quality article
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby tchumatu » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:08 pm

Kladze wrote:He was born in 1984 in the fishing village of Arguineguin

I thought he was born in 1986 according to the FIFA OS
Roberto Mancini was the man who brought us our first trophy in 35 years. He was the man that brought us our first league title in 44 years. He brought us one of the greatest moments of our lives. He masterminded a 6-1 win at Old Trafford, and a Wembley win over United. He challenged Ferguson, he argued with him on the touchline, he brought success, and he punched the air in delight with the rest of us at the madness of it all. He had style, panache and a winning smile.All those memories he gave us will never be forgotten, in a wonderful period in this club’s long history.
And I swear, we’ll never see anything like it again.
tchumatu
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

My favourite player is: Bell

Postby john68 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:16 pm

I love the line that his grannie made him a ball out of old rags.
I wonder, if I supplied her with Gary (Telly tubbie) Chuckle, Giggs, Scholes and Roy Kunt, if she could make me one to boot around my back garden.
I like Grannie Silva...She has the right idea.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:31 pm

Good read that.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Lees Alter Ego » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:43 pm

tchumatu wrote:

yeah they get it wrong here as hes younger than me an i was born in 85
Lees Alter Ego
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:11 pm

john68 wrote:I love the line that his grannie made him a ball out of old rags.
I wonder, if I supplied her with Gary (Telly tubbie) Chuckle, Giggs, Scholes and Roy Kunt, if she could make me one to boot around my back garden.
I like Grannie Silva...She has the right idea.

While our pampared tarts got spoon fed from kids.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Kladze » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:22 pm

tchumatu wrote:

I did think the age was incorrect tbh but as it's not my article .............
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Stevie irelands lost wig » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:16 pm

Fair play to Mr. Brennan. Seems to have done his research which has resulted in a quality article!

I like the bit about how Silva has apparently been checking our progress for 18 months. I reckon we were interested a year and a half ago and he said: "sign quality players and I'm yours". And here he is, quality signing imo, can't wait to see him in a blue shirt!
Stevie irelands lost wig
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Bojinov's left foot » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:14 pm

Good article. Fantastic comments from Silva. Hope he plays against Paraguay.
Bojinov's left foot
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby Beeks » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:37 pm

Looks like he's set to start against Germany!

http://spanishfootballsports.blogspot.c ... es-in.html
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Kladze » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:54 pm

Another article on the M.E.N. website today by a Spanish based journo.

Silva will give City Euro polish

Mike Holden

July 05, 2010

The football world is unanimous in the view that Manchester City will be better for the transfer of David Silva, but what exactly will the Blues be getting for their 33million euros?

Well, first and foremost, Roberto Mancini has acquired a player of immense technical ability, a young man extremely comfortable with the ball at his feet, somebody who can open up a tight encounter against negative opposition and, equally, one who can deliver on the big occasion.

Regularly labelled as a winger, Silva’s style couldn’t be more different to what the English regard as an old-fashioned No11. He isn’t particularly fast and he isn’t liable to dribble past a full-back too often. Indeed, when looking at his size and ticking off the attributes that supposedly make a world-beater, you might be inclined to worry.

But reality isn’t a computer-simulation game. Cristiano Ronaldo has all the attributes to be the best player in the world, Leo Messi doesn’t.

Making the most of your ability invariably boils down to temperament and Silva’s temperament is outstanding. Once you understand what he can and cannot do, and tailored your expectations accordingly, you have every right to get excited.

And if we’re going to draw comparisons with past heroes - as we always do - the name of Ali Benarbia is one that immediately springs to mind.

Like the mercurial Algerian, Silva’s preferred currency is the pass and the balance of his account should be measured on assists.

Dubbed El Mago Itinerante (the wandering magician) by the local Spanish media, his gift for carving out gilt-edged opportunities is a special one. He might stray into anonymity at times but don’t be too disturbed by that, it’s invariably when he’s at his most deadly. His game is all about end-product, delivering that final killer ball.

Of course, the big question among City fans is how Silva will fit into the side, but it’s a puzzle we really shouldn’t be overly concerned about. He can adjust to whatever system you like, proving equally effective in any role behind the first line of attack.

For Spain, you will know him as a left-sided midfielder but that's only due to the intensity of the competition in central areas. At Valencia, he would also operate as an advanced central midfielder or even as a second striker whenever Unai Emery adopted a more cautious approach away from home.

Either way, it’s natural to assume he will strike up a lethal relationship with Carlos Tevez, similar to the one he has enjoyed with David Villa over the past two years. Besides sharing the obvious bond provided by a common language, not to mention a humble outlook on life, a playmaker of Silva’s calibre will no doubt thrive on the Argentine’s mobility in and around the box.

The reaction to his departure around these parts has been one of inevitable sadness.

They always knew they had a special talent on their hands and, unlike Villa, they nurtured him carefully through adolescence, watching him develop into a well-rounded adult.

However, it’s long been apparent they couldn’t keep him in the face of such crippling debt, so now they must hold back the lump in their throats and watch him fly the nest. At least this way, he won’t come back to haunt them next season.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby dazby » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:19 am

Good article that. The idea of Silva feeding Carlito is mucho bueno.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Kladze » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:39 pm

dazby wrote:Good article that.

Glad you liked it. Can I have my Betty Swollocks back now?
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby dazby » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:10 am

No.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Return to The Maine Football forum