Is our defence good enough?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Is our defence good enough?

Postby Vhero » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Sister of fu wrote:
Vhero wrote:I think Lescott is still good enough and we are still too early to write him off (spent most of his time since he signed for us on the injury list) . He was great for Bin Dippers blue and could be for us given enough time however I think he will be nothing more than a bench warmer this season. Kolo has had a pretty damn good world cup I thought he looked really strong and I thought him and Kompany were a good partnership. Our RB problem has finally been solved as Zab was shit so LB is left to sort.

I think it was a blessing for Lescott not to go to the WC. I would hope that he has had a good break and comes back fully charged and ready to go. He will also not have all the mither and stress he had last year with the transfer saga. I think he will deliver for us this year and was starting to find a bit of form before the lay off. I cant see him warming any bench IMO.

If we don't sign a LB your probably right he will probably fill that spot. If we do sign a new LB then I can see him struggling to get his spot but that could bring out the best in him.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby btajim » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:56 pm

It's important to have at least 2 solid players for each position in the back four so Zabaleta and Boateng for RB with Toure, Lescott, Kompany and Richards / Ned for CB and Bridge / Kolarov for LB seems fine.

My first choice would be Boateng - Kompany - Lescott - Bridge.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Kyle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:29 pm

I think Kompany is the exact type of player you want to build a new "dynasty" around. He is young, ambitious, talented, vocal, and well spoken. Tevez to bang in the goals for the fans, Kompany and NDJ to grow into leadership roles and keep the team motivated. I'm really liking the look of our future...
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby Colin the King » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:36 am

Touched on this in the rumours thread, but I definitely want to see a solid centre half partnership, preferably Kompany and Lescott, rather than chopping and changing as we did last year. As it is they're both cracking defenders, and with experience of playing alongside each other they'll grow and grow. Touré and his brother can both step in if needed. I think we're alright at right back, between Zabs, Richards and Boateng, and I have no real problem with Bridge on the left, who became the scapegoat for everything at times last year, but we could probably do with competition on that side, think Garrido's time has probably passed on that front so maybe Kolarov or someone else to come in.

If we can convince Hart to stay and give him games in Europe/League Cup we'll be blessed in the GK department and have a nice mixture of youth, experience and leadership qualities in defence.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby CitizenYank » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:32 am

I think we need at least one more quality right back, and another sub who can play both.
Esp. if we are going to compete for Europe and the Carling Cup....
Never touch the clowns. Let the clowns touch you!
CitizenYank
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City, P Timbers

Postby btajim » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:40 pm

Colin the King wrote:Touched on this in the rumours thread, but I definitely want to see a solid centre half partnership, preferably Kompany and Lescott, rather than chopping and changing as we did last year.

I'm sure that wasn't a deliberate tactic. i.e. Injuries and the poor form of Kolo Toure.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Nick » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:40 pm

woah not been on here for ages! was gonna do a thread on our starting 11, but re: the defence. IMO it is clear kolo isnt up to it and vince must play. However i cant see us having told Yaya this !
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Bojinov's left foot » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:46 pm

Defence is a concern and I'm sure Mancini will be making signings.

If Hart is not happy with what is offered then he will will want away. Whilst we have vast monies we want to keep Hart as he is the future even if he is not no.1 for the new season. If he goes we will need to move quickly to get a quality keeper who is 'happy' to be a reserve.

Kompany and Lescott looked a good partnership in the making last season. Would like to see them given the opportunity to build on that work but Mancini might well feel he needs extra cover - this could be one of the reasons why we have signed Jerome Boateng (CH/RB). I seem to recall seeeing a rumour before the World Cup that we were linked with Dani Alves £45m for the RB position, would be a great signing if it happened but would he leave Barca??

Top quality left back is needed. If Bridge is injured then who plays there, ok Boateng could play there but he is right footed and only 21 settling into a new country - a big ask. Lescott could but IMO he is a CH not LB. Kolarov could fit the bill, especially with Mancini's relations with Lazio.

Whilst the defence is a concern IMO Mancini will get it sorted.
Bojinov's left foot
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum