Roy Hodgson named as new Liverpool FC manager

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Roy Hodgson named as new Liverpool FC manager

Postby Fish111 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:08 am

Great appointment by Liverpool. Hodgson will do very well there, unfortunately. I can definately see Sven at Fulham but Hughes would be a cheaper option for them.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Beeks » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:10 am

Fish111 wrote:Great appointment by Liverpool. Hodgson will do very well there

Agreed
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:29 am

Hodgson COULD do a great job at Liverpool but whether he'll get the respect of the players immediately or whether he'll be fired before he sorts it is a question.

Without money to spend, he probably needs to sell Torres & Gerrard just to build up a squad of competent players to make up for the plethora of utter shite that Benitez has collected at every level. How he's going to find clubs for many of them is another problem. I'm sure if he's given time he could build a team there but if a few results go against them the shit could hit the fan.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:33 am

Hodgson is the right man at the present time for Liverpool; they are skint and need to sell to buy, and he will nurse them through this period and probably have them in or around the top 6 and contending in Cups.

As for Fulham? Bottom 6 and a relegation dogfight beckons methinks, though there is enough dross in the Prem to ensure they stay up.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:52 am

I bet the Dippers are loving the thought of Hodgson coming in, a bloke who works on a shoestring budget........NOT.

And in my opinion, he's going to fail miserably.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:58 am

Beefymcfc wrote:I bet the Dippers are loving the thought of Hodgson coming in, a bloke who works on a shoestring budget........NOT.

I'd be absolutely delighted if you're correct & it's no less a possibility than him succeeding. He's fucked up before.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Blue Blood » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:12 am

Beefymcfc wrote:I bet the Dippers are loving the thought of Hodgson coming in, a bloke who works on a shoestring budget........NOT.

I've gotta say i agree with you.

Hodgson is a quality small club "lets do this for the fans boys" grafter of a manager.

Liverpool need a big time "won it all" boss to drag them out of the shit and get the ever more unhappy stars back on side.

Frankly as a result of Hodgsons appointment, i can see a number of the big stars leaving this summer and Liverpool struggling to come to terms with it next season, resulting in a poorer year than last and therefore another manager sacking.

Poor move Liverpool and poor move Hodgson.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby btajim » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Blue Blood wrote:
ross.mcfc wrote:Hughes would be a good shout for Fulham. They have a decent squad who should easily be above the relegation zone.

John Collins might be a good outside bet.

Hughes is waay outside the Fulham budget. Hughes is a damn expensive manager to sign these days, mainly because he believes he's bigger than jesus and as such asks for the earth in wages/transfer budget.

Fulham had an excellent Premiership season under Hodgson and then a following excellent season in Europe. They'll have to spend big to attract a Manager to at least equal those achievements. Sven will cost them too much and I don't think they'll be naive enough to appoint him. It's Curbishley or Hughes. Instinct says Curbishley and Hughes will eventually get a job at an ambitious Club looking to spend big money.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby cdncityfan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:20 pm

I believe that Roy Hodgson could very well be a success at Liverpool. If anything, the Scousers need a coach who get the best out of the players he has and being willing to do a clearout if necessary, rather than one who will need a 60 million pound transfer budget to build yet another underperforming unit. The question is whether or not Liverpool owners and fans will have the patience to let him become a success or failure at Anfield.
Manchester City FC: the class of the Premier League!
cdncityfan
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Rangers / City
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby foreverblue » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:51 pm

Some have been a bit disparaging of Hodgson. He managed Inter Milan. He won titles in Scandinavia. He has been to the world cup.
He is an old fashioned football coach like there used to be before an ex player with 2 minutes experience was allowed manage a the top level.
Liverpool are lucky to get him. Now if their players fall for the cult of personality then he needs to get rid of them.

No one should compare him to Sam Allardyce or Gary Megson; it would be a great mistake.

Saying that I won't be sad if the scousers get all uppity at not having a big name manager and have a revolt.
foreverblue
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Nickyboy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:06 pm

gutted - wanted him for england...
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby btajim » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:37 pm

foreverblue wrote:Some have been a bit disparaging of Hodgson. He managed Inter Milan. He won titles in Scandinavia. He has been to the world cup.
He is an old fashioned football coach like there used to be before an ex player with 2 minutes experience was allowed manage a the top level.
Liverpool are lucky to get him. Now if their players fall for the cult of personality then he needs to get rid of them.

No one should compare him to Sam Allardyce or Gary Megson; it would be a great mistake.

Saying that I won't be sad if the scousers get all uppity at not having a big name manager and have a revolt.

Anyone being harsh on Hodgson can't possibly have looked at the facts of his time with Fulham. They stayed up when they looked fucked, they then had an excellent finish in the Premiership (above Clubs including us) and then had an inspirational run in Europe which became the English Club triumph of that season. He's also an affable personality in Football.

Allardyce is a reasonable Manager at the right Club (Bolton, Blackburn) but Megson isn't fit to make the Tea of either.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:43 pm

btajim wrote:
Blue Blood wrote:
ross.mcfc wrote:Hughes would be a good shout for Fulham. They have a decent squad who should easily be above the relegation zone.

John Collins might be a good outside bet.

Hughes is waay outside the Fulham budget. Hughes is a damn expensive manager to sign these days, mainly because he believes he's bigger than jesus and as such asks for the earth in wages/transfer budget.

Fulham had an excellent Premiership season under Hodgson and then a following excellent season in Europe. They'll have to spend big to attract a Manager to at least equal those achievements. Sven will cost them too much and I don't think they'll be naive enough to appoint him. It's Curbishley or Hughes. Instinct says Curbishley and Hughes will eventually get a job at an ambitious Club looking to spend big money.

Why?
Has he done something to warrant such job. I doubt any decent team will take chance on him.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby btajim » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:39 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Why?
Has he done something to warrant such job. I doubt any decent team will take chance on him.

City aren't a decent Team? Showing your worth at last.

Newcastle in their current state or a Premiership Leeds could do with a Manager like Hughes.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby zuricity » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:47 pm

I wish Roy Hodgson well, he's a good manager. However, Liverpool play Arsenal at home followed by us and by the time they get around to West Brom he might already be feeling the heat. Especially if Torres smacks a couple in for us in the second game :-))
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:04 pm

Not the superstar appointment football fans want but probably one of the best men for the job their at this moment in time.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:21 pm

zuricity wrote:I wish Roy Hodgson well, he's a good manager. However, Liverpool play Arsenal at home followed by us and by the time they get around to West Brom he might already be feeling the heat. Especially if Torres smacks a couple in for us in the second game :-))

I think this is my point when I said he'd fail miserably Z. Roy has been brought in to sure things up, a caretaker or night watchman if you like, able to prevent a downward spiral until the owners have found a way to make a packet before they leave. The problem I envisage is that once Roy has a poor run of games, the fans, who are used to challenging for things, will turn and make it very hard for him to keep control.

With regard to players, the fans already have it in their minds that Roy will have to sell to buy, or that certain players will want away. Only if he keeps the likes of Torres or Gerrard will they give him full support because if one of them goes, he'll be the man blamed for moving them on, especially if they have a slippery start. What was telling for me was the announcement where the Chairman had to interject and state that Liverpool 'Do not have to sell to service the debt', but failed to address the question of player acquisition. More telling were the pictures of Roy signing a young fans autograph book and when he asked 'Will you be selling Torres', Roy seemed to pause and answer 'I won't be', the optimum word being 'I'.

I think most people who follow football have a massive soft spot for Roy and would usually want to see him succeed (apart from playing their team of course), but in this case I can only see him doomed to failure, not because of himself, but by the circumstances of his appointment.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:16 pm

Good luck Woy.........you know what to do.....WELEASE....WIEWA
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby The Man In Blue » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:12 pm

i'm intrigued to see how this appointment pans out. pundits have been touting him as a possible replacement for capello, both before fabio sorted his contract out and after we failed at the world cup. lets see if they knew what they were talking about.

he seems a good bloke and is a capable manager but i hope for a fiasco.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby zuricity » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:45 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
zuricity wrote:I wish Roy Hodgson well, he's a good manager. However, Liverpool play Arsenal at home followed by us and by the time they get around to West Brom he might already be feeling the heat. Especially if Torres smacks a couple in for us in the second game :-))

I think this is my point when I said he'd fail miserably Z. Roy has been brought in to sure things up, a caretaker or night watchman if you like, able to prevent a downward spiral until the owners have found a way to make a packet before they leave. The problem I envisage is that once Roy has a poor run of games, the fans, who are used to challenging for things, will turn and make it very hard for him to keep control.

With regard to players, the fans already have it in their minds that Roy will have to sell to buy, or that certain players will want away. Only if he keeps the likes of Torres or Gerrard will they give him full support because if one of them goes, he'll be the man blamed for moving them on, especially if they have a slippery start. What was telling for me was the announcement where the Chairman had to interject and state that Liverpool 'Do not have to sell to service the debt', but failed to address the question of player acquisition. More telling were the pictures of Roy signing a young fans autograph book and when he asked 'Will you be selling Torres', Roy seemed to pause and answer 'I won't be', the optimum word being 'I'.

I think most people who follow football have a massive soft spot for Roy and would usually want to see him succeed (apart from playing their team of course), but in this case I can only see him doomed to failure, not because of himself, but by the circumstances of his appointment.

Well Liverpool are visiting Grasshoppers on the 21st July (wednesday). I'll keep you all posted on their progress. IF it's anything like the bobbins they played last season at St . Gallen, I'll give Roy about five weeks..... It'll be good to be able to take the piss out of the scouse support here ( not much albeit and like in the 'pool, ignorant !).
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum