Goal line technology: Poll

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Are You In Favour Of Goal Line Technology?

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes : 83

Re: Goal line technology: Poll

Postby Manx Blue » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:44 pm

IMO…the top competitions in the World (Domestic & Continental Club and International) should have goal line technology.

Not only should the clubs, national teams bombard FIFA or their relevant regional association, the sponsors of these competitions should also be approached in an effort to change things

FIFA/UEFA would soon listen if there was a chance they would lose serious revenue streams.
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby blues-clues » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:09 pm

video is not the answer - there will always be a case where there is no clear view because there are too many players in the box. Video also needs someone to look at it and therefore needs a break in play.

You need a chip (or chips) inside the balls and sensors either in fixed locations either in the ground or on the posts or crossbar. If the ball (sensor) crosses the plane either a light goes on like ice hockey or a signal goes to the referee. It is not complicated, supermarket trolleys have a chip in them that applies the brakes when they go over a line on the edge of the car park. If it can be made cheap enough for all the supermarket trolleys then it can be made to work for premier league, European and international football.

This is not the beginning of a slippery slope, goal or not is not and should not be open to interpretation in the same way as a foul, handball or offside. There is so much technology in football now, the players wear all sorts of gizmos to tell us how far they ran and where they were at certain times, its not asking much to take one small step further and put something in the ball to help make the decision making process better and faster.

If they choose to use ball tracking technology in conjunction with player tracking to resolve offside decisions in real time then that is cool as well but let's get the simple stuff sorted first.
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby Slim » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:13 pm

Seriously, technology is gonna cost money, have at least two generations that won't work properly,(Think tennis) and completely unnecessary. Goal line assistants, two men, only job....did the fucking ball cross the line.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby dazby » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:19 pm

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Duj2oZIC8U&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Duj2oZIC8U&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

What we need is one of these "lasers".
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Twobob » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:45 pm

Big Huge NO from me.

Taking the small game on Sunday as an example - 30 secconds after it bouncing over the line and out again it was in Englands half and Germany nearly had a chance - NO natural break in play at all.

So lets say we had this video ref, by the time he'd reviewed it and communicated that it was a goal to the Ref, Germany could have scored - how would they work that one out? Disallow a goal to give a goal earlier? When does it stop? When Taggert starts crying why such and such is available to be decided by technology but not a descision thats just gone against him??

Now if I remember correctly, UEFA trialed having two extra officials stood behined the goals to spot any infringments etc done in the box and goals - this is a much better idea IMHO as they can flag up to the ref straight away as a linesman 'SHOULD'.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby Blue Blood » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:45 pm

100% Yes.

Get it in and stop the cheaters and whingers.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:30 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:IMO what is ruining the game is these blatently BENT referees / fifa officials.
The game is so blatently bent it isn't even funny.
We need robot referees to stop this crookedness.
We'll never have anything easy to sort it out as there is no way for them to bend the rules to suit them.

All they need to do for goal line tech is what they have in ice hockey to see if the puck crossed the line.
Simple as fuck.

For me this is spot on in all respects.

And those saying it would take too long, have a read of this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10435958.stm
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Re: Goal line technology

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:33 pm

Kladze wrote:
ronk wrote:
Fine, but then why waste all that money training, evaluating, paying and flying refs around the world. If human error is a required part of the game then there's no problem with poor match officials.

If you welcome dodgy decisions that eliminate the aspect of contest from football then you're giving up the right to ever complain about a referee's decision. That's a different thing from accepting that referees aren't perfect, it's saying that a perfect referee would be to the detriment of the game.

No it's not.

And either way, a perfect mechanical referee - which is what technology would supply - would be detrimental.

Why?
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Moonchesteri » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:06 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:All they need to do for goal line tech is what they have in ice hockey to see if the puck crossed the line.
Simple as fuck.

Do you know why 2003 is remembered as probably the most boring over-time World Cup win ever? Video technology and these goal line cameras.
Canadians forward Carter went round the goal, tried to slide it in, thought he did. Celebrated for a couple of seconds until he saw that ref is going to check was it in. Long before the decision was made after 15-20 Minutes fans at home were channel surfing, fans at the stadium looked bored talking with friends.. result was that Canada got the goal but boy it was a boring climax to a WC final.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Moonchesteri » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:06 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:All they need to do for goal line tech is what they have in ice hockey to see if the puck crossed the line.
Simple as fuck.

Do you know why 2003 is remembered as probably the most boring over-time World Cup win ever? Video technology and these goal line cameras.
Canadians forward Carter went round the goal, tried to slide it in, thought he did. Celebrated for a couple of seconds until he saw that ref is going to check was it in. Long before the decision was made after 15-20 Minutes fans at home were channel surfing, fans at the stadium looked bored talking with friends.. result was that Canada got the goal but boy it was a boring climax to a WC final.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Twobob » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:07 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:IMO what is ruining the game is these blatently BENT referees / fifa officials.
The game is so blatently bent it isn't even funny.
We need robot referees to stop this crookedness.
We'll never have anything easy to sort it out as there is no way for them to bend the rules to suit them.

All they need to do for goal line tech is what they have in ice hockey to see if the puck crossed the line.
Simple as fuck.

For me this is spot on in all respects.

And those saying it would take too long, have a read of this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10435958.stm

Shocking, the manufacturers of GLT are saying FIFA should adopt the technology now and that its 100% perfect ... ground breaking news.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby zuricity » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:18 pm

I'm absolutely for goal line technology.

Waiting for a response , is no worse than watching a goalkeeper deliberately waste time, or a throw in get passed between one or two players , or somebody going down with a pretend injury. Or getting the ball back from the Stands.

Whilst we are at it. FIFA should do things like introduce new footballs etc at the very tournament beginning and not just before the finals. Not just change things right before the finals. ( i know some teams did get the footballs earlier to get used to them).

By the way the great curving shot, that might just be plain luck from an outfield player , is the nasty curving shot for a goalie who is made to look stupid by the qualities of the ball and not necessarily the player. It makes the outfield player look good and the goalie look bad.

If FIFA get Adidas to put so much effort into developing the perfect ball, why can't FIFA develop the perfect Referee ? ( ie video technology where appropriate). There is simply too much money involved for such bad decisions as we saw in both games yesterday

As far as corruption in FIFA is concerned, even just today in the Zürich NZZ there is an article about Corrupt dealings in SA and the conclusion that this chapter (Corruption) of the World Cup 2010, is most certainly not completed yet.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby zuricity » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:18 pm

Waiting for a response , is no worse than watching a goalkeeper deliberately waste time, or a throw in get passed between one or two players , or somebody going down with a pretend injury. Or getting the ball back from the Stands.

Whilst we are at it. FIFA should do things like introduce new footballs etc at the very tournament beginning and not just before the finals. Not just change things right before the finals. ( i know some teams did get the footballs earlier to get used to them).

By the way the great curving shot, that might just be plain luck from an outfield player , is the nasty curving shot for a goalie who is made to look stupid by the qualities of the ball and not necessarily the player. It makes the outfield player look good and the goalie look bad.

If FIFA get Adidas to put so much effort into developing the perfect ball, why can't FIFA develop the perfect Referee ? ( ie video technology where appropriate). There is simply too much money involved for such bad decisions as we saw in both games yesterday
As far as corruption in FIFA is concerned, even just today in the Zürich NZZ there is an article about Corrupt dealings in SA and the conclusion that this chapter (Corruption) of the World Cup 2010, is most certainly not completed yet.
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby zuricity » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:19 pm

Waiting for a response , is no worse than watching a goalkeeper deliberately waste time, or a throw in get passed between one or two players, or somebody going down with a pretend injury. Or getting the ball back from the Stands

zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby zuricity » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:19 pm

Waiting for a response , is no worse than watching a goalkeeper deliberately waste time, or a throw in get passed between one or two players, or somebody going down with a pretend injury. Or getting the ball back from the Stands

zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby irblinx » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:21 pm

That's all very well Zuric, but where do you stand on goal line technology?
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby zuricity » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:21 pm

Sorry about that fellas,

Got an incorrect php character message. . three times and there was no indication that the message had been sent successfully!
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby zuricity » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:22 pm

Sorry about that fellas,

Got an incorrect php character message. . three times and there was no indication that the message had been sent successfully!

It's just happened again

Warning: Unexpected character in input: ''' (ASCII=39) state=1 in /home/manc2net/public_html/mcfnet/cache/queue.php on line 3

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ':' in /home/manc2net/public_html/mcfnet/cache/queue.php on line 3
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby zuricity » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:30 pm

Once again sorry fellas, it seems like Firefox got it's knickers in a twist.
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby blues-clues » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:20 pm

zuricity wrote:Once again sorry fellas, it seems like Firefox got it's knickers in a twist.

Had the same problem myself.

You can delete your own posts though. Only the duplicates mind you ;)
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum