***Official Chile v Spain Thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***Official Chile v Spain Thread***

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:11 am

Spurge wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Fantastic from Villa but what a fucking disaster from Chile. They had Spain in real trouble there, they were really struggling to play.

the way they were playing, pressing in Spain's area and generally being gung ho, they were going to concede at some stage anyway. Stupid tactics against team like Spain imo. Spain players know that games are decided late in the halfs.

And there goes the second.

The way they were playing they were likely to present real problems for Spain - call it gung ho or whatever you like they played with no fear and lots of self belief very refreshing and certainly not stupid tactics. I suspect Spain where very relived when Torres the cheating little wanker that he is, went flying through the air after what was clearly not a foul and decided to stay down like he'd been shot and saw Chile reduced to 10 men.

I'm glad Chile have progressed like so many of the South American sides they play football the way it should be played, as for the yellow cards, yes in the 'modern game' these sort of challenges are penalised with a yellow, but as I said it's very refreshing that they just go about their business by trying to win games, thechallenges were tough and uncomprimising and as much to do with over exhuberance than anythuing else.

I thought Spain looked average tonight, I thought their first was fortuitous and against the run of play, they played within themnsleves at 2-0 and against 10 men and still managed to concede!

As for Alexis Sanchez, he's looked the part throughout the tournament - glad we'll get to see a bit more of him.

so you quite liked Chile then?!?

I thought Spain just settled for 2-1 and closed the shop. After Torres went off they had five in midfield and let Chile run around but in the end they didn't really create anything of mention. I was as well disappointed that Spain chose to take that route the same way as Brazil did earlier. But I can understand it. They got bigger fish to fry and for them the competition is very likely barely halfway whereas Chile have one or two games left.

But credit to Chile, South Korea and Japan. I have enjoyed watching these well drilled teams who play quick passing football and show no fear.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Re: ***Official Chile v Spain Thread***

Postby Spurge » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:42 am

Spurge wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Fantastic from Villa but what a fucking disaster from Chile. They had Spain in real trouble there, they were really struggling to play.

the way they were playing, pressing in Spain's area and generally being gung ho, they were going to concede at some stage anyway. Stupid tactics against team like Spain imo. Spain players know that games are decided late in the halfs.

And there goes the second.

The way they were playing they were likely to present real problems for Spain - call it gung ho or whatever you like they played with no fear and lots of self belief very refreshing and certainly not stupid tactics. I suspect Spain where very relived when Torres the cheating little wanker that he is, went flying through the air after what was clearly not a foul and decided to stay down like he'd been shot and saw Chile reduced to 10 men.

I'm glad Chile have progressed like so many of the South American sides they play football the way it should be played, as for the yellow cards, yes in the 'modern game' these sort of challenges are penalised with a yellow, but as I said it's very refreshing that they just go about their business by trying to win games, thechallenges were tough and uncomprimising and as much to do with over exhuberance than anythuing else.

I thought Spain looked average tonight, I thought their first was fortuitous and against the run of play, they played within themnsleves at 2-0 and against 10 men and still managed to concede!

As for Alexis Sanchez, he's looked the part throughout the tournament - glad we'll get to see a bit more of him.

so you quite liked Chile then?!?

I thought Spain just settled for 2-1 and closed the shop. After Torres went off they had five in midfield and let Chile run around but in the end they didn't really create anything of mention. I was as well disappointed that Spain chose to take that route the same way as Brazil did earlier. But I can understand it. They got bigger fish to fry and for them the competition is very likely barely halfway whereas Chile have one or two games left.

But credit to Chile, South Korea and Japan. I have enjoyed watching these well drilled teams who play quick passing football and show no fear.

Ha ha yes, I did go on about them a bit, but after a cautious start to the world cup from so many teams I found Chile's approach in their opening game against Honduras really refreshing - although they only won 1-0 it could have been a lot more as they just went for it, they have lots of positive players in their team none more so than Alexis Sanchez, who I'd love to see at City.

They have adopted the same approach in each of their 3 games and as you suggest it could be their undoing eventually as they fall foul to card happy referees helped in their decision malking by cheats of the likes of Torres.

As mentioned I think 11 v 11 last night would have been a massive test for Spain, would have been interesting to see the outcome but sadly we were denied the privelidge. I do agree that Spain controlled the second half after the Chile goal, you'd expect that for a team of their calibur against 10 men.

Chile now take on Brazil, who they lost to twice in qualifying, so Brazil will have a psychological advantage. I'm sure Chile will play their usual attack minded game which will provide a real test for Brazil (something which the portuguese didn't do against Brazil given the circumstances presented to both sides) and it's certainly within them to cause an upset on the day though suspensions will make this a more difficult task would otherwise. The referee will undoubtedly play a key part.

As for Spain, we all know the abundance of quality they have at their disposal which runs right through the squad - Fabregas on the bench!?! Spain may well be there or thereabouts, the next time they meet Chile might just be in the final who knows? Ok now I'm getting carried away!!!!
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum