A matter of opinions

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

A matter of opinions

Postby Green & Blue » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:30 pm

An interesting look at the conflicting analysis of the Irish panel and bbc panel of pundits covering the England Slovenia game.

Hansen: “Once England got the goal the confidence levels surged, they were excellent.”
Eamon Dunphy: “They just didn’t grow in confidence at all after the goal.”
Lineker: “The goal really settled them, didn’t it? They pushed on from there.”
Ronnie Whelan: “You’d think they’d have kicked on from when they scored, but they actually got worse.”
Roy: “England’s crossing has been absolutely outstanding.”
Giles: “Some of the crossing was just awful.”
Shearer: “Rooney looks more confident, he’s getting around the pitch a lot better.”
Dunphy: “It’s shocking to see Rooney so subdued, he’s been reduced to a shivering wreck.”
Shearer: “They look much more comfortable on the ball, they’re passing it with a purpose, with pace, they’re closing down – a much better performance, it’s encouraging.”
Giles: “They’re much better than they have been, but they couldn’t have been worse.”
No arguments, then. Second half. England held on. Full-time. Ready?
Lee Dixon: “A great performance.”
Dunphy: “Shocking . . . absolutely incredibly bad . . . pretty awful stuff.”
Hansen: “The commitment was there, the spirit was there, the enterprise was there, the creativity was there, they passed it better – they could have scored five or six quite easily. Capello will obviously be delighted with the performance.”
Giles: “If that’s the shackles off what’ll they be like when the shackles are back on?”
’Arry Redknapp: “We played with pace, we got after them, we pressed them, there wasn’t a weakness in the team.”
Dunphy: “They were astonishingly poor.”
Lineker: “He looked more like the Rooney we know.”
Ronnie: “Rooney is a major worry, his form, his body language, his demeanour, everything.”
Dixon: “Gerrard was outstanding.”
Dunphy: “I can’t believe how bad Gerrard was today.”
’Arry: “Across midfield we were top drawer.”
Giles: “Barry got worse as the game went on, Milner, Gerrard and Lampard the same.”
’Arry: “Bring it on! Whoever we play we’ll be difficult to beat.”
Ronnie: “If they don’t improve they’ll go straight out, it was a very, very inept performance.”
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: A matter of opinions

Postby Tokyo Blue » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:42 pm

Some English people, or those getting paid by English people, are trying to be positive about the team. What a shocker. Everyone else does it. Why shouldn't the English?

And some non-English people disagree. Amazing stuff.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Original Dub » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:46 pm

90% of the time MOTD pundits pussyfoot and never say what they actually want to say - probably because they're not allowed.

From what I can see, they can pretty much say what they like on the RTE panel and that's what makes it honest viewing.
Original Dub

Postby Dubciteh » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:52 pm

Dunphy and the boys are the best thing on irish television. Good to see honest opinions(not always right) but no manufactured clichye shit.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:54 pm

It's hardly surprising that the non-English onlookers will have different views from the English ones.

You can usually assume that the actual performance fell somewhere between the two sets of biased views.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Green & Blue » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:56 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:Some English people, or those getting paid by English people, are trying to be positive about the team. What a shocker. Everyone else does it. Why shouldn't the English?

And some non-English people disagree. Amazing stuff.

Why not a bit of brutal honesty ?
In reality they bulit up an average performance against a below average side.
Green & Blue

Postby Original Dub » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:56 pm

Dubciteh wrote:Dunphy and the boys are the best thing on irish television. Good to see honest opinions(not always right) but no manufactured clichye shit.

You said it, absolute honesty, no fear of getting ticked off.
Original Dub

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:15 pm

I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the RTE panel this World Cup. Throughly refreshing and watchable. Good post Green and Blue to bring this one up because I was suprised by the categorical criticism from them. I thought while I was watching the analysis..., well, ok, we weren't devastatingly good, we werent sending shock waves over Africa, BUT IT WAS BETTER! wasn't it?. It was! couldnt be fucking worse!. For anyone missing the game, looking at the analysis on RTE you'd be thinking...fuck me, Algeria mark 2. It wasn't. If yesterdays display had been in the first game, and Green hadnt applied the fairy liquid to his hands people would have been saying what a bloody solid start. Apart from this I now go to RTE first for any post match analysis. At least they speak their mind.
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby john68 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:05 am

I just love the way "Honest" Dunphy always tells it like it is...or was.

"I wrote it...It was all my idea to put it into the book...Roy Keane didn't have anything to do with it and he didn't know I was writing it"

...and with that "Honest" Dunphy destroyed any chance that Harland and City had of taking Roy Kunt to court to get compensation.

You have to admire his honesty.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:20 am

john68 wrote:I just love the way "Honest" Dunphy always tells it like it is...or was.

"I wrote it...It was all my idea to put it into the book...Roy Keane didn't have anything to do with it and he didn't know I was writing it"

...and with that "Honest" Dunphy destroyed any chance that Harland and City had of taking Roy Kunt to court to get compensation.

Complete utter fucking wanker.

Love the idea that MOTD pundits are under some kind of threat about criticising England. Obviously it was allowed to slide after the Algeria game! What a load of bitter pitiful, sad shite this is. How shocking it is that any of us should dare get above our station.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Buffalo Soldier » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:10 pm

john68 wrote:I just love the way "Honest" Dunphy always tells it like it is...or was.

Exactly John, it makes my blood boil just hearing the twats name, I think I would put my foot through the tele if I had to watch him doing the punditry.
Buffalo Soldier
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Bingo Lewis » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:03 pm

i'm not too far away from agreeing with the nay sayers tbh, but the bitter irish fuckers can piss off anyway.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Slim » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:07 pm

I BELIEVE!

(Directed at no-one in particular)

And fuck you if you don't, if you are so convinced we're gonna lose why bother even watching? Cunts.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Green & Blue » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:10 pm

Easy patriots.
No point in reffering to the Irish as being bitter fuckers, cunts etc.I did not intend to upset anyone or cause any aggro with this thread.
I just thought it interesting to show the huge difference in opinion between both panels.
I believe the truth lies somewhere in between it was an average performance nothing better nothing worse.I just dont get why such an abundance of praise was poured generously over an average performance.
The rte panel dont hold back when it comes to the irish team.I just found it hard to believe the guys in the bbc studio could really be that impressed with a 1-0 win over Slovenia, relieved with the result yes but not declaring what ultimately was a struggle to be a great performance.
Green & Blue

Postby Spurge » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:30 pm

Green & Blue wrote:An interesting look at the conflicting analysis of the Irish panel and bbc panel of pundits covering the England Slovenia game.

Hansen: “Once England got the goal the confidence levels surged, they were excellent.”
Eamon Dunphy: “They just didn’t grow in confidence at all after the goal.”
Lineker: “The goal really settled them, didn’t it? They pushed on from there.”
Ronnie Whelan: “You’d think they’d have kicked on from when they scored, but they actually got worse.”
Roy: “England’s crossing has been absolutely outstanding.”
Giles: “Some of the crossing was just awful.”
Shearer: “Rooney looks more confident, he’s getting around the pitch a lot better.”
Dunphy: “It’s shocking to see Rooney so subdued, he’s been reduced to a shivering wreck.”
Shearer: “They look much more comfortable on the ball, they’re passing it with a purpose, with pace, they’re closing down – a much better performance, it’s encouraging.”
Giles: “They’re much better than they have been, but they couldn’t have been worse.”
No arguments, then. Second half. England held on. Full-time. Ready?
Lee Dixon: “A great performance.”
Dunphy: “Shocking . . . absolutely incredibly bad . . . pretty awful stuff.”
Hansen: “The commitment was there, the spirit was there, the enterprise was there, the creativity was there, they passed it better – they could have scored five or six quite easily. Capello will obviously be delighted with the performance.”
Giles: “If that’s the shackles off what’ll they be like when the shackles are back on?”
’Arry Redknapp: “We played with pace, we got after them, we pressed them, there wasn’t a weakness in the team.”
Dunphy: “They were astonishingly poor.”
Lineker: “He looked more like the Rooney we know.”
Ronnie: “Rooney is a major worry, his form, his body language, his demeanour, everything.”
Dixon: “Gerrard was outstanding.”
Dunphy: “I can’t believe how bad Gerrard was today.”
’Arry: “Across midfield we were top drawer.”
Giles: “Barry got worse as the game went on, Milner, Gerrard and Lampard the same.”
’Arry: “Bring it on! Whoever we play we’ll be difficult to beat.”
Ronnie: “If they don’t improve they’ll go straight out, it was a very, very inept performance.”

Conflicting opinions indeed - not one of them mentioned how Defoe had grabbed hold of the defencers shirt in order to get a steel on him to score what was the deciding goal. If the defender had grabbed Defoes shirt it would have been a penner, but strangely despite the slow motion repaly clearly showing Defoes actions not one of the pundits metioned it.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Return to The Maine Football forum