James Milner

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: James Milner

Postby Bingo Lewis » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:05 pm

few decent moments, thats it. If the Silva rumours are true then can't see why we'd have Milner for £30m to be backup to him and Johnson???

I wouldn't be arsed either way if we bought him, doesn't excite me, even at what he's really worth - £15m
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:10 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:few decent moments, thats it. If the Silva rumours are true then can't see why we'd have Milner for £30m to be backup to him and Johnson???

I wouldn't be arsed either way if we bought him, doesn't excite me, even at what he's really worth - £15m

Agree 200%. Milner would be overpriced, even at City market price, at £20m. Id rather have Silva if we have the chance to get him, and maybe look elsewhere.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:01 am

Mike J wrote:he had a good game. he is a good player but like the majority i think it'd be madness to spend £30million on him. for less money we could probably get someone like ozil.

that sums up Milner for me. He is a good player and he was good yesterday. Everything he does is good but I've rarely seen him being great. At that price range you are looking for players who have ability to be great on their day.

I don't really agree with this 'price doesn't matter for us' approach either. Ok, we paid 30m for Robinho to gain some headlines but that's Robinho. We'd be looking to say similar money for Milner should we agree to what Villa are asking. We need to draw the line somewhere and move on with our targets. Which honestly I think we have. We went bit over the top on few deals last summer and are already paying the price. We need to take stricter approach. Especially if player in question doesn't even fill position of great need.

Villa rumours are gathering pace and I doubt we'd be looking to purchase two wingers (who can play in the middle but both are more effective on the wing) when we already have quality wingers.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby kinkylola » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:29 am

Milner cannot be bought for 30m ... we will be a laughing stock. We need to shed the image hughes pinned on us, the one that tells every prem team that we are willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money just because a player is "prem proven" ... Sven made some great signings from the continent, and those players were cheap! some very good players ... some flops ... but none can count as expensive flops at least. Whereas look what we've gotten from our precious Prem proven players. 20m Santa, 24m Lescott ... I still have faith that lescott will be a quality player but there was no way he should have been 24m. it fucked with his head ... and I think it would fuck with milner's head too.

I think Milner is a good player, and I would welcome him to our team. I think he can do a great job and would be an asset, he would bring things that we don't have to the table. but 30m!?! 30m. is that what united payed for rooney? he was the next messiah, is milner that good?
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby btajim » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:27 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:that sums up Milner for me. He is a good player and he was good yesterday. Everything he does is good but I've rarely seen him being great. At that price range you are looking for players who have ability to be great on their day.

I don't really agree with this 'price doesn't matter for us' approach either. Ok, we paid 30m for Robinho to gain some headlines but that's Robinho. We'd be looking to say similar money for Milner should we agree to what Villa are asking. We need to draw the line somewhere and move on with our targets. Which honestly I think we have. We went bit over the top on few deals last summer and are already paying the price. We need to take stricter approach. Especially if player in question doesn't even fill position of great need.

Villa rumours are gathering pace and I doubt we'd be looking to purchase two wingers (who can play in the middle but both are more effective on the wing) when we already have quality wingers.

I'd say the Robinho transfer was a cross between a publicity stunt from the new Owners alongside taking a chance on a very skillful Player with an attitude problem. It didn't work in this situation.

Yes to Milner for me but no to 30 Million. We're already known for overpaying for established Premiership talent and giving that kind of money to Martin O'Neill is madness. He could find 4 players for that.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby BobKowalski » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:34 pm

btajim wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:that sums up Milner for me. He is a good player and he was good yesterday. Everything he does is good but I've rarely seen him being great. At that price range you are looking for players who have ability to be great on their day.

I'd say the Robinho transfer was a cross between a publicity stunt from the new Owners alongside taking a chance on a very skillful Player with an attitude problem. It didn't work in this situation.

Yes to Milner for me but no to 30 Million. We're already known for overpaying for established Premiership talent and giving that kind of money to Martin O'Neill is madness. He could find 4 players for that.

Yep he would. And again Villa will finish 6th with at best another Carling Cup final en route. Which they will lose.

Milner is our must buy this year. I don't think City will pay £30m but it will be close to that or £20m plus with a player thrown in. Ned for example.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby btajim » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:44 pm

BobKowalski wrote:
btajim wrote:I'd say the Robinho transfer was a cross between a publicity stunt from the new Owners alongside taking a chance on a very skillful Player with an attitude problem. It didn't work in this situation.

Yep he would. And again Villa will finish 6th with at best another Carling Cup final en route. Which they will lose.

Milner is our must buy this year. I don't think City will pay £30m but it will be close to that or £20m plus with a player thrown in. Ned for example.

Villa finished 6th and we finished 5th. They're presently a rival and I'm struggling to understand what your point is. What Cup Final did we get to?

I don't think Milner is a must buy when there's top talent from abroad to attract. A marque name. It'd be like saying Santa Cruz was our star signing from last summer.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:59 pm

BobKowalski wrote:
btajim wrote:

Agree about Villa & they'll do it all by lumping the ball at Carew whilst the roadrunner hairs off the end of the pitch after the flick ons.

We're going to get spanked on transfer fees, especially for English players so I don't think we can worry too much about it. I can see the points made about Milner not being a 'great' player & I agree he's not, but he played better for England yesterday than most of the 'great' players have done over the last 40 odd years. Surely that's the point? He performs at a good level, regularly. That makes him a better player than Robinho, Ireland, Petrov, Elano,or SWP etc etc who don't. Terry Venables & Peter Taylor both said, a few weeks ago, that they expect Milner to soon become one of the best players in the Prem. Not bad judges.

NQDP, if you sit where I sit at Eastlands & you see the time & space people like SWP get to cross a ball in, week in week out & totally fuck it up, over & over again, then you compare it to 20 seconds of Milner, Young, Bale, Giggs, etc etc; we don't have 2 top wingers mate. Even AJ, has a long way to go as an out & out wide player compared to them. At least he has the ability to do it though, SWP even if he could cross a ball, is too thick to even see the opportunity half the time.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:11 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:
btajim wrote:

Agree about Villa & they'll do it all by lumping the ball at Carew whilst the roadrunner hairs off the end of the pitch after the flick ons.

We're going to get spanked on transfer fees, especially for English players so I don't think we can worry too much about it. I can see the points made about Milner not being a 'great' player & I agree he's not, but he played better for England yesterday than most of the 'great' players have done over the last 40 odd years. Surely that's the point? He performs at a good level, regularly. That makes him a better player than Robinho, Ireland, Petrov, Elano,or SWP etc etc who don't. Terry Venables & Peter Taylor both said, a few weeks ago, that they expect Milner to soon become one of the best players in the Prem. Not bad judges.

NQDP, if you sit where I sit at Eastlands & you see the time & space people like SWP get to cross a ball in, week in week out & totally fuck it up, over & over again, then you compare it to 20 seconds of Milner, Young, Bale, Giggs, etc etc; we don't have 2 top wingers mate. Even AJ, has a long way to go as an out & out wide player compared to them. At least he has the ability to do it though, SWP even if he could cross a ball, is too thick to even see the opportunity half the time.

Big question being whether we are actually even trying to play high crosses to centerforward. I don't think we are.

While we are on the subject of Villa wingers, I think Ashley Young is much better player and I'd rather see us go for him.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:19 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:
btajim wrote:

Big question being whether we are actually even trying to play high crosses to centerforward. I don't think we are.

While we are on the subject of Villa wingers, I think Ashley Young is much better player and I'd rather see us go for him.

Don't mean a high cross mate, I mean any kind of cross low, high, near post, far post, floated, hammered, in front/behind the fullback etc . Milner even if he's playing midfield, will get better balls in on the few occasions he's out wide during a game, than SWP will in 5 games. So would Gerrard or Lampard or even Gary N*****e. SWP has me tearing my hair out! We, as a club, are the worst crossers in the PL.

I would agree about Ashley Young if he was consistant, but if he was, he'd be playing in the World Cup right now.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby BobKowalski » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:
btajim wrote:

Milner is a different level to Young. What separates Milner from Young is mentality. Milner can live at the level we want to get to - in fact not only live but thrive. Throw in the fact that Milner can play center and wide means he is pretty much top of my wish list. Milner for me is the difference between top 4/credible title challenge and a gallant 5th.

Villa without Milner is Villa going backwards or using the money to tread water at best.
BobKowalski

Postby btajim » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:20 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:We're going to get spanked on transfer fees, especially for English players so I don't think we can worry too much about it. I can see the points made about Milner not being a 'great' player & I agree he's not, but he played better for England yesterday than most of the 'great' players have done over the last 40 odd years. Surely that's the point? He performs at a good level, regularly. That makes him a better player than Robinho, Ireland, Petrov, Elano,or SWP etc etc who don't. Terry Venables & Peter Taylor both said, a few weeks ago, that they expect Milner to soon become one of the best players in the Prem. Not bad judges.

I don't know about you - but I genuinely fear for what O'Neill or Moyes can do with big money. They make great Teams out of great signings whilst we're still very much work in progress. Patience has never been a virtue at Manchester City! Imagine it's Season 1 at The COMS (2003, IIRC) and someone tells you that by 2010 we've had 5 Managers including Sven-Goran Eriksson and an ex-RAg Striker. You wouldn't Adam & Eve it. I wouldn't worry so much about Sam Allardyce getting the money he did for Santa Cruz because Blackburn won't attract solid talent.

The concept of signing Milner is good but it doesn't truly excite me. Barely even for 10 Million. Is he as good as Gerrard or Lampard? Milner could be one of the best Players in the Premiership for Aston Villa or Everton but not a City side chasing the Champions League. Theres better Players out there but if it's him or nobody then I'd welcome a player with the same Christian name as me. Would welcome him proving me wrong, too. Definitely.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby HeyMark » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:23 pm

Jim last time Moyes was given a lot of money (when they sold rooney) he wasted it on a lot of poor buys (andy vander meyde, that danish defender that lasted 6 months etc)

I think he's the type of manager thats successful when he's very little money and has to look for bargain players who'll play out of their skin(suppose you could say hughes is sorted better to that kind of management too)
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby btajim » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:30 pm

HeyMark wrote:Jim last time Moyes was given a lot of money (when they sold rooney) he wasted it on a lot of poor buys (andy vander meyde, that danish defender that lasted 6 months etc)

I think he's the type of manager thats successful when he's very little money and has to look for bargain players who'll play out of their skin(suppose you could say hughes is sorted better to that kind of management too)

He made money from Lescott and seemed to do OK. A player signed for a small amount and sold on for big money. Pienaar could go the same way. I can't name every signing he's ever made but Everton are regularly there or thereabouts despite not having big names at the Club. His ability to create a Team that's difficult to beat is top notch.

Let us not forget that Everton did Mancini's City both Home & Away last season.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby fangsanalsatan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:47 pm

I guess what Mark is trying to say: Moyes (and maybe MON, too) will build a team challenging for 5th or thereabouts whether he has big money to spend or not. But a shitload of money in his hands doesn't necessarily translate to champions league or even title challenge. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby btajim » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:55 pm

fangsanalsatan wrote:I guess what Mark is trying to say: Moyes (and maybe MON, too) will build a team challenging for 5th or thereabouts whether he has big money to spend or not. But a shitload of money in his hands doesn't necessarily translate to champions league or even title challenge. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I'd appreciate being in the Champions League or having a Team ready to make a sustained challenge for the Premiership Title before we discard the likes of Everton and Aston Villa. Giving vast amounts of money to our near rivals seems somewhat counterproductive. I'd rather wave some money at Valencia because they really need it!
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Slim » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:06 pm

btajim wrote:
fangsanalsatan wrote:I guess what Mark is trying to say: Moyes (and maybe MON, too) will build a team challenging for 5th or thereabouts whether he has big money to spend or not. But a shitload of money in his hands doesn't necessarily translate to champions league or even title challenge. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I'd appreciate being in the Champions League or having a Team ready to make a sustained challenge for the Premiership Title before we discard the likes of Everton and Aston Villa. Giving vast amounts of money to our near rivals seems somewhat counterproductive. I'd rather wave some money at Valencia because they really need it!

If it were a choice between Silva and Milner, well you'd be lucky to find 1 in 100 who would say Milner, however this is City and it might not be one OR the other.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby BobKowalski » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:18 pm

btajim wrote:
HeyMark wrote:Jim last time Moyes was given a lot of money (when they sold rooney) he wasted it on a lot of poor buys (andy vander meyde, that danish defender that lasted 6 months etc)

He made money from Lescott and seemed to do OK. A player signed for a small amount and sold on for big money. Pienaar could go the same way. I can't name every signing he's ever made but Everton are regularly there or thereabouts despite not having big names at the Club. His ability to create a Team that's difficult to beat is top notch.

Let us not forget that Everton did Mancini's City both Home & Away last season...

...and finished below us.

As did Villa.

They will both win big games and rise to the occasion and all that but at season end all they will have to show for it is 6th and 7th spot and the boys on Soccer Saturday insisting that both managers are top managers and both done well and their teams are definitely progressing and the fans should be pleased.

They may win battles, even big ones, but they are losing the war.
BobKowalski

Postby Dazzacity » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:21 pm

Id rather spend that money on David Silva any day of the week.
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby btajim » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:02 pm

BobKowalski wrote:
btajim wrote:He made money from Lescott and seemed to do OK. A player signed for a small amount and sold on for big money. Pienaar could go the same way. I can't name every signing he's ever made but Everton are regularly there or thereabouts despite not having big names at the Club. His ability to create a Team that's difficult to beat is top notch.

Let us not forget that Everton did Mancini's City both Home & Away last season...

...and finished below us.

As did Villa.

They will both win big games and rise to the occasion and all that but at season end all they will have to show for it is 6th and 7th spot and the boys on Soccer Saturday insisting that both managers are top managers and both done well and their teams are definitely progressing and the fans should be pleased.

They may win battles, even big ones, but they are losing the war.

If you're happy to send huge amounts of money to rival Clubs for players worth about half of the fee they command then so be it. In recent seasons we've provided Arsenal, Aston Villa and Everton with money they wouldn't have got from elsewhere.

The money has unjustly put Fan expectation through the roof. Imagine what will happen if we have a slow start next season?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum