*** Official US v Algeria Thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: *** Official US v Algeria Thread***

Postby Slim » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:51 pm

Thank fuck for Landon Donovan huh?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby kinkylola » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:53 pm

thank fuck there wasn't a chance for the ref to call it back that time
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby ryanmjo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:53 pm

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH

I think I scared the hell out of the people painting the house next door. Don't care one bit though.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Kyle » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:57 pm

FUCK YES!
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby andeez nutz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:59 pm

and the USA take the group!
andeez nutz
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: johnson

Postby kinkylola » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:06 pm

I feel like we've played well in all our games ... the england game was cagey to be sure. But I think we can be proud of topping the group and feel that we deserve it as well.

I'm very happy right now
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby david yearsley » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:18 pm

kinkylola wrote:I feel like we've played well in all our games ... the england game was cagey to be sure. But I think we can be proud of topping the group and feel that we deserve it as well.

I'm very happy right now

I´m not - our fuclwit superstars couldn´t hit a barn door when we had the chances to nail the group with a 3 or 4 nil win - Shrek is a twat - I´m frankly appalled losing that group the MSL
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Slim » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:42 pm

kinkylola wrote:I feel like we've played well in all our games ... the england game was cagey to be sure. But I think we can be proud of topping the group and feel that we deserve it as well.

I'm very happy right now

Really? You don't think you've been REALLY REALLY lucky?

England v USA : England keeper spills it into his own net given the US a point.
Slovenia v USA : Fail to show up for the entirety of the first half and lucky Slovenia weren't out of sight.
Algeria v USA : Score the only goal of the match in the 91st minute to secure a place in the next round.

Of course, so have England but I think both of us were lucky someone like Paraguay weren't in this group and completely out of sight by the time tonight had rolled around.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ryanmjo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:31 pm

Slim wrote:

I'm very happy right now

Slovenia v USA : Fail to show up for the entirety of the first half and lucky Slovenia weren't out of sight.
Algeria v USA : Score the only goal of the match in the 91st minute to secure a place in the next round.

Of course, so have England but I think both of us were lucky someone like Paraguay weren't in this group and completely out of sight by the time tonight had rolled around.

On the other hand:

England v. USA: Green saves Altidore shot onto the post
Slovenia v. USA: Referee rules out perfectly good goal
Algeria v. USA: Again, a goal wrongly ruled out. In addition to Dempsey hitting the post and numerous players great chances.

So no, I don't think we've been REALLY REALLY lucky. I think it's about even honestly, a few nice bounces, also a few bad ones, and a few terrible refereeing decisions.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Slim » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:48 pm

ryanmjo wrote:
Slim wrote:

I'm very happy right now

On the other hand:

Algeria v. USA: Again, a goal wrongly ruled out. In addition to Dempsey hitting the post and numerous players great chances.

So no, I don't think we've been REALLY REALLY lucky. I think it's about even honestly, a few nice bounces, also a few bad ones, and a few terrible refereeing decisions.

And yet after all that, you still went through, like I said, lucky.

And if we are counting half chances like the save Green made, thank fuck you have Landon Donovan who's goal tonight and goal against Slovenia both came with a large slice of luck.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ryanmjo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:28 am

Slim wrote:
ryanmjo wrote:
Slim wrote:

I'm very happy right now

On the other hand:

And if we are counting half chances like the save Green made, thank fuck you have Landon Donovan who's goal tonight and goal against Slovenia both came with a large slice of luck.

Ah I guess I see what you're saying. Believe me, I'm incredibly happy to have Landon Donovan in our team.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:22 am

Slim wrote:
ryanmjo wrote:
Slim wrote:

I'm very happy right now

On the other hand:

what's wrong with Luck? You're Freedom's bride today.

[youtube]xCSrlhfJIgA[/youtube]
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby kinkylola » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:49 am

A hard working team creates their own luck ... if england hadn't looked like lazy shit 85% of the time, they could have made some luck for themselves too.

since when is not turning up first half and then scoring 3 goals in the second half (one wrongly disallowed) considered luck? If it were city or england that had done it, everyone would be praising their team spirit (not that england have the courage for that sort of fight back ... luckily city have it in them)

you could say we're lucky green spilled the ball into the net ... you could also say you're lucky altidore missed a free header from 3 yards out and that rob green saved a shot he knew nothing about onto the post.

Another goal disallowed against algeria, and after a whole game of pressing without finding a goal we get one in the dying minutes because donovan was exactly where he should be following the play the entire length of the field.

It's called effort, and effort reaps it's own rewards ... you can quote me on that and send it to the england team, they can post it in their dressing room.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:59 am

kinkylola wrote:A hard working team creates their own luck ... if england hadn't looked like lazy shit 85% of the time, they could have made some luck for themselves too.

since when is not turning up first half and then scoring 3 goals in the second half (one wrongly disallowed) considered luck? If it were city or england that had done it, everyone would be praising their team spirit (not that england have the courage for that sort of fight back ... luckily city have it in them)

you could say we're lucky green spilled the ball into the net ... you could also say you're lucky altidore missed a free header from 3 yards out and that rob green saved a shot he knew nothing about onto the post.

Another goal disallowed against algeria, and after a whole game of pressing without finding a goal we get one in the dying minutes because donovan was exactly where he should be following the play the entire length of the field.

It's called effort, and effort reaps it's own rewards ... you can quote me on that and send it to the england team, they can post it in their dressing room.

England have a great football team. Their challenges aren't about effort i don't believe. They are loaded with people who will put a shift in actually. I would be surprised to see a team that didn't work hard in their match against Germany. It won't matter tho in the end i don't believe. Also, Ghana will beat the US.

cheers

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby kinkylola » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:13 am

It's anyone's game now ... Ghana are a good team, athletic fast and strong.

I believe we can win, by no means do I think it will be easy. I don't think there should be any easy games left for anyone, if there ever were to begin with.

But I think england's problem was exactly to do with effort. Against us and against Algeria. They looked much improved against slovenia but something isn't right. the players they have are not performing as expected, and it's not because of overhype I dont think. Maybe they lack concentration? hard to say.

not claiming USA is a super team ... hardly. But we certainly haven't dropped our heads when we've been down, or things don't go our way
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:49 am

kinkylola wrote:It's anyone's game now ... Ghana are a good team, athletic fast and strong.

I believe we can win, by no means do I think it will be easy. I don't think there should be any easy games left for anyone, if there ever were to begin with.

But I think england's problem was exactly to do with effort. Against us and against Algeria. They looked much improved against slovenia but something isn't right. the players they have are not performing as expected, and it's not because of overhype I dont think. Maybe they lack concentration? hard to say.

not claiming USA is a super team ... hardly. But we certainly haven't dropped our heads when we've been down, or things don't go our way

The US team can beat Ghana for sure, but they won't. I'll be really happy if it happens, but i'm setting myself up for failure.

BTW everyone i work with poured out of our offices yesterday to watch the match and some people were literally in tears when Donovan scored. it was fucking epic. If we actually taught more kids how to play this game and it was affordable to play at a high level, instead of treated as an elitist sport with expensive club fees and political chicanery as early as 8 and 9 for these kids, then imagine what kind of team we could field?

also, E is for England. E is for Effort. I'm not worried about England's effort. Capello may have had the wake up call to field a more dynamic team, so maybe that helps him out vs Germany. We will see. Dropping Rooney and playing Crouch and Defoe up front together is what he should consider.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby kinkylola » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:55 am

I agree, though I think defoe and rooney can be a good pair. rooney by no means stays in the middle of the field, he roams all over but defoe knows how to be a striker and he does it very well. I personally don't rate crouch, though i know he has a fantastic record for england.

I'm not expecting the USA to beat ghana, but I have confidence. People say that not having essien hasn't hurt ghana, I disagree completely. How different would their games had gone if they even had a little bit of midfield control? He's integral, and I'm happy he's not there. They have some great players, good athletes as well. In any case, I know we won't go down without a fight.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby ryanmjo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:52 am

I think US-Ghana is pretty much a straight toss up. I'm confident we'll create chances, we just have to put them away.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby andeez nutz » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:19 pm

it would be nice to avenge the 1-2 loss to Ghana in the last cup.

in other news...the US had the same amount of goals wrongfully taken away by poor officials as England actually scored in the entire group stage.
andeez nutz
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: johnson

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum