FA expects Fabio Capello to resign

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

FA expects Fabio Capello to resign

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:07 pm

The Football Association anticipates England coach Fabio Capello will resign if his team make their World Cup exit on Wednesday, BBC Sport understands.

The FA is refusing to publicly discuss the possibility of the team's elimination at the group stage.

But privately, senior figures admit they are considering their next move if England crash out against Slovenia.

This is a remarkable turn of events given the FA renegotiated Capello's four-year contract only on 2 June.

The FA removed a break clause from the Italian's four-year deal which would have allowed them to avoid paying him hefty compensation in the event they wanted to sack him.

Despite now discussing the possibility of Capello's exit, the FA's hierarchy says it remains firmly behind him going into Wednesday's must-win match against Slovenia.

Speaking on Sunday morning, Adrian Bevington, managing director of Club England at the FA, told BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek: "Nothing has changed as far as we're concerned.

"I don't want to sit here discussing the manager's contract, or anyone's contract for that matter, in the middle of the World Cup.

That was the whole reason we very publicly announced the situation [about Capello's contract amendment] while we were in Austria.

"All we're focused on is trying to get a result on Wednesday, to get through to the next round and go forward from there."

In fact there is a feeling among senior figures that the players should shoulder the greater share of the blame for the lacklustre performance against Algeria on Friday and the frustrating opening draw against the United States.

The FA is also concerned about apparent splits between groups of players in Capello's squad, believing that to be of more concern than any disquiet in the squad about his style and tough regime.

The issue of Capello's future would ultimately be a decision for the FA's board - who currently remain fully supportive of the manager.

And even if his England side become the first since 1958 to be knocked out at the group stage, there is believed to be a reluctance to fire him.

There are two reasons for this. The first is the difficulty of hiring another top-class manager. England have a friendly against Hungary at Wembley on 11 August and their first Euro 2012 qualifying clash against Bulgaria on 3 September.

They fear they would have very little time to hire a new coach in time for those matches.

And, while sources insist they are not considering the financial implications of any decision to remove Capello, the cost could be in the region of £10m, or two years' salary.

They know they would face accusations of wasting money so soon after the huge compensation pay-outs to Sven Goran Eriksson and Steve McClaren.

The FA removed a break clause, which would have allowed them to sack the 65-year-old for far less, a day before the team flew to South Africa.

The FA knows it will face intense criticism over that decision to take away that insurance policy if everything goes wrong for England on Wednesday.

Following the disappointing 0-0 draw with Algeria, Capello himself refused to rule out the possibility he would quit if England fly home from this World Cup earlier than expected.

The FA believes he is such an honourable and honest man that such a humiliating exit would force him to consider his position.

But a source close to Capello told the BBC on Sunday that he was not the sort of person to quit if things start going wrong.

England's elimination from the World Cup would be the latest blow to the FA after a dreadful six months which has seen John Terry forced to quit as national team captain following allegations about his private life and the departures of chief executive Ian Watmore and chairman Lord David Triesman.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8750672.stm
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: FA expects Fabio Capello to resign

Postby ashton287 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:35 pm

But more importantly, I expect fabio "speccy-four eyes pug looking motherfucker" capello to resign
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: De jong

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:56 pm

ashton287 wrote:But more importantly, I expect fabio "speccy-four eyes pug looking motherfucker" capello to resign

clever
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby john68 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:56 pm

The FA don't want him to resign.
The FA are not considering him resigning.
Capello isn't the sort of guy to resign.

...and then you get that headline.

Sort of tells you a lot about the media.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Citeh&Crew » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:09 am

ashton287 wrote:But more importantly, I expect fabio "speccy-four eyes pug looking motherfucker" capello to resign

Some of you.. wait.. MANY of you English fans are kinda funny, in a ridiculous way.

If a player has had a distinguished career, and then runs on a spell of bad form, he goes from being a "decent, nice, talented player" to something worse than a pile of dung floating in a sewer, in just the blink of an eye. (e.g. Dunne) You treat managers the same way.

England crushed teams in WC qualifiers. The Three Lions likely could have beaten a team composed of the Arch-Angel Gabriel, Jesus, Moses, Mohammed, Goliath, Buddha, Benny Hill, Conan the Barbarian, Zidane, God, and Chuck Norris himself, with that kind of form. And none other than "speccy-four eyes pug looking motherfucker" was the manager at that time. Yet now, that the English players are breaking down mentally, which OBVIOUSLY (if you have one modicum of ability to think logically) has little to do with the manager, you still blame Capello.

What is wrong with some of you? You think Capello suddenly went from genius to crap? Really? No.

Based on what I have seen of England over the past two WCs, I am beginning to think there is something wrong mentally, with the core of this generation of English players, when it comes to big tournaments. Maybe not all of them (e.g. Beckham seems to thrive under any pressure), but enough that the team plays average to crap in such tourneys.
Citeh&Crew

Postby King Kev » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:22 am

It's always the manager's fault isn't it!

Never mind that Capello (and Sven before him) have brilliant managerial records before they take over England, it must be their fault that the English players are lazy prima donnas!
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Slim » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:14 am

King Kev wrote:It's always the manager's fault isn't it!

Never mind that Capello (and Sven before him) have brilliant managerial records before they take over England, it must be their fault that the English players are lazy prima donnas!

Honestly when in the last 20 years have we had an English manager who has the balls to pick a side that will win as opposed to picking the best 11 players we have and hoping? I suspect the FA has a large hand in selections and it's probably fucking bean counters who are worried about Lampard shirt sales drying up if he gets dropped that keeps him getting selected.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby simon12 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:17 am

Before Capello resigns the following needs addressing at the very top first:

The Burton Academy
The cost of Wembley
The size of the England managers contract
The fact we signed a contract with a ball manufacturer to pay for the above white elephant so we didn`t get the world cup ball to play with.
The list is phenominal. The tossers that run the FA should look at themselves first. I know this has no direct relevance to how we are performing in SA but seemed a good point to throw in. These blazer wearing twats annoy me.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:20 am

Slim wrote:

Honestly when in the last 20 years have we had an English manager who has the balls to pick a side that will win as opposed to picking the best 11 players we have and hoping? I suspect the FA has a large hand in selections and it's probably fucking bean counters who are worried about Lampard shirt sales drying up if he gets dropped that keeps him getting selected.

Nail on head there mate. I think Owen & Beckham were picked for the last world cup despite being unfit purely for commercial reasons. I believe it has always been the case, hence why Beckham was invited to have a presence in the coaching setup, despite doing no coaching.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby BobKowalski » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:39 am

Slim wrote:

Last 20 years? Hmm have to go for...Capello. You know the guy that picks Heskey who isn't the best English striker in the Villa team let alone England. And the reason he picks Heskey? Because Capello thinks it works best for the team as having Heskey gets the best out of the others which is to the benefit of the team. And for the qualifiers it worked - hell for the first 30 minutes or so of the USA game it worked. Then Green lets in that soft goal and the rest as they say is history.

So Capello works out a system of play with certain group of players and it works. And as soon as it doesn't work Capello is an idiot who is having teams picked by the FA who are worried about shirt sales and anyway we are just picking the best players and hoping it somehow 'happens'. Seriously do you actually analyse the situation or do you just smack yourself in the face with your knee for 5 minutes and then sit down to type what you read in the Sun?
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:45 am

BobKowalski wrote:
Slim wrote:

Last 20 years? Hmm have to go for...Capello. You know the guy that picks Heskey who isn't the best English striker in the Villa team let alone England. And the reason he picks Heskey? Because Capello thinks it works best for the team as having Heskey gets the best out of the others which is to the benefit of the team. And for the qualifiers it worked - hell for the first 30 minutes or so of the USA game it worked. Then Green lets in that soft goal and the rest as they say is history.

So Capello works out a system of play with certain group of players and it works. And as soon as it doesn't work Capello is an idiot who is having teams picked by the FA who are worried about shirt sales and anyway we are just picking the best players and hoping it somehow 'happens'. Seriously do you actually analyse the situation or do you just smack yourself in the face with your knee for 5 minutes and then sit down to type what you read in the Sun?

Sorry mate, thats bullshit.

Heskey is picked to try and make Rooney play better, not because Capello is making a bold leap of faith in Heskey.

If you have a non-scoring forward who helps rooney get to a record of 1 goal every 2 games, in effect that strike partnership yields 1 goal between them every 4 games, and that is simply not acceptable in any standard of football.

That is BAD management mate, its all well and good against cannon fodder in qualifying, but in a tournament of the best 32 teams it has been cruelly exposed.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Vhero » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:54 am

The point is he was hired to take us all the way if he doesn't make it past the group stages his contract should be up anyways so fuck the fact he is gonna resign he hasn't done what he was paid to do. Then again I doubt anybody could but at least we looked better under previous managers. Hell even steeeveeee did better than Capello.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby BobKowalski » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:59 am

johnpb78 wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:
Slim wrote:

Sorry mate, thats bullshit.

Heskey is picked to try and make Rooney play better, not because Capello is making a bold leap of faith in Heskey.

If you have a non-scoring forward who helps rooney get to a record of 1 goal every 2 games, in effect that strike partnership yields 1 goal between them every 4 games, and that is simply not acceptable in any standard of football.

That is BAD management mate, its all well and good against cannon fodder in qualifying, but in a tournament of the best 32 teams it has been cruelly exposed.

Yes because Algeria are at the pinnacle of the footballing elite. Which brings me to the rest of the bollocks about tactics, plan B through to plan f**king Z and the greatest English player at the WC namely Joe Cole who is, apparently, the only English player bar Rooney, who could have unlocked the Algerian defence. You know Algeria who haven't scored a goal in open play in 7 matches. That Algeria. So instead of examining ourselves and the reasons why we suddenly lost the ability to either pass or control a football we are going to blow the trumpets and wait for the the cavalry in the shape of Joe Cole to rescue us.

Incidentally the point made was 'when did an English manager pick a team to win rather than superstars and hoping'. The answer is still Capello. You may disagree with his gameplan and the personnel used but you cannot argue that Capello doesn't have a gameplan and his inclusion of Heskey is ample proof that he is not simply picking the best players.
BobKowalski

Postby BobKowalski » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:06 am

Vhero wrote:The point is he was hired to take us all the way if he doesn't make it past the group stages his contract should be up anyways so fuck the fact he is gonna resign he hasn't done what he was paid to do. Then again I doubt anybody could but at least we looked better under previous managers. Hell even steeeveeee did better than Capello.

Yes MaClaren by not qualifying did himself no end of favours by avoiding the subsequent implosion in the actual tournament with the whole world looking on. Top notch reasoning there. Wanted. One England manager who can ensure we don't qualify for any major tournament. Please apply with CV and references.
BobKowalski

Postby Slim » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:08 am

BobKowalski wrote:
Slim wrote:

Sorry mate, not the player I was thinking of when I said that, but having said that Sven and McLaren both selected Heskey so it's hardly a courageous decision. What I was thinking was we are trying to build from the back and unfortunately our best passing centrehalf got injured on the plane and our next best is Dawson, so why are we persisting with Carragher who looks slow as shit and has horrible decision making. While we are building slowly we have zero movement in the forward line, all 6 forward players who started against Algeria were standing around static with no-one making selfless runs to open space, no-one dragging defenders, just trying to bully our way through without a wisp of a plan.

I am talking about a serious overhaul and that's no longer possible at this tournament obviously, but a left winger..Joe Cole, Ashley Young(how did he not even make it into the 30?) or Adam Johnson. Agbonlahor, not the greatest finisher in the world, but quick as a whippet and something completely different to the static forward line we have at the moment. Gerrard OR Lampard, and probably Gerrard they narrow our width in attack to 3/4 of the pitch and that's only if they manage to look up and over to the right which never happens. If we really wanted to shake things up, it would be the big choice, fuck Rooney off.

Paramount in all these choices is if they want the shirt, I mean REALLY want it, I don't mind losing or drawing if they come out and give their all. But I doubt you could name 5 players in the last two matches who showed up with any sort of desire to win and didn't give up the moment Algeria ran at us 10 minutes in, or Green put the ball in his own net.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:33 am

Slim wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:
Slim wrote:

Sorry mate, not the player I was thinking of when I said that, but having said that Sven and McLaren both selected Heskey so it's hardly a courageous decision. What I was thinking was we are trying to build from the back and unfortunately our best passing centrehalf got injured on the plane and our next best is Dawson, so why are we persisting with Carragher who looks slow as shit and has horrible decision making. While we are building slowly we have zero movement in the forward line, all 6 forward players who started against Algeria were standing around static with no-one making selfless runs to open space, no-one dragging defenders, just trying to bully our way through without a wisp of a plan.

I am talking about a serious overhaul and that's no longer possible at this tournament obviously, but a left winger..Joe Cole, Ashley Young(how did he not even make it into the 30?) or Adam Johnson. Agbonlahor, not the greatest finisher in the world, but quick as a whippet and something completely different to the static forward line we have at the moment. Gerrard OR Lampard, and probably Gerrard they narrow our width in attack to 3/4 of the pitch and that's only if they manage to look up and over to the right which never happens. If we really wanted to shake things up, it would be the big choice, fuck Rooney off.

Paramount in all these choices is if they want the shirt, I mean REALLY want it, I don't mind losing or drawing if they come out and give their all. But I doubt you could name 5 players in the last two matches who showed up with any sort of desire to win and didn't give up the moment Algeria ran at us 10 minutes in, or Green put the ball in his own net.

If this team comes home on Thursday, the whole lot, players & manager, should get similar treatment to the original astronauts when they returned from space but without the cheering; take 'em down a plastic tunnel to god knows where & stick 'em in a room with each other for an idefinite period, spray 'em occasionally & ask 'em what they did, in detail. A few weeks in a room with those wankers will teach those wankers what a bunch of wankers they all are.

Tbh even if they get through & win the whole thing it won't change the fact that they're a bunch of wankers, because they are, win or lose.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby BobKowalski » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:43 am

Slim wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:
Slim wrote:

Fair enough.
BobKowalski

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:49 am

simon12 wrote:Before Capello resigns the following needs addressing at the very top first:

The Burton Academy
The cost of Wembley
The size of the England managers contract
The fact we signed a contract with a ball manufacturer to pay for the above white elephant so we didn`t get the world cup ball to play with.
The list is phenominal. The tossers that run the FA should look at themselves first. I know this has no direct relevance to how we are performing in SA but seemed a good point to throw in. These blazer wearing twats annoy me.

Load of tosh that pal,the England players all play in England throughout the season with a Nike ball.
The fact that they play a few games a year with an Umbro ball has naff all to do with it,blame the Premier league for having a fat Nike contract.

I's also like to point out Germany have been playing with the said Adidas ball all season and they lost.

BALLS.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby ashton287 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:21 am

Citeh&Crew wrote:

Some of you.. wait.. MANY of you English fans are kinda funny, in a ridiculous way.

If a player has had a distinguished career, and then runs on a spell of bad form, he goes from being a "decent, nice, talented player" to something worse than a pile of dung floating in a sewer, in just the blink of an eye. (e.g. Dunne) You treat managers the same way.

England crushed teams in WC qualifiers. The Three Lions likely could have beaten a team composed of the Arch-Angel Gabriel, Jesus, Moses, Mohammed, Goliath, Buddha, Benny Hill, Conan the Barbarian, Zidane, God, and Chuck Norris himself, with that kind of form. And none other than "speccy-four eyes pug looking motherfucker" was the manager at that time. Yet now, that the English players are breaking down mentally, which OBVIOUSLY (if you have one modicum of ability to think logically) has little to do with the manager, you still blame Capello.

What is wrong with some of you? You think Capello suddenly went from genius to crap? Really? No.

Based on what I have seen of England over the past two WCs, I am beginning to think there is something wrong mentally, with the core of this generation of English players, when it comes to big tournaments. Maybe not all of them (e.g. Beckham seems to thrive under any pressure), but enough that the team plays average to crap in such tourneys.

he didnt suddenly go crap, he suddenly stopped picking the players in form and went with the typical england side bar heskey, if it wasnt for injueies we would be playing with the same 11 as we did 4 years ago and history tells us that 11 wasnt and isnt good enough.

against algeria for example

Rooney was fucking horrible and lazy yet stayed on? in qualifying he would have been off no problems
lampard, fucking disgrace to the shirt. lazy, greedy and slow. had no impact on the game whatsoever apart from stopping any decent attacking football with a stupid shot from 20-40 yards out. yet barry who was easily our best player was subbed.
GERRARD ON THE FUCKING LEFT, we saw how much this didnt work in fucking qualifying but it was ok then, just an experiment until joe cole comes back.
takes joe cole and doesnt play him in a game he could of made a massive diffrence in. if joe cole isnt fit then why the fuck did he leave johnson out?
defoe looked a hundred times sharper then rooney, how long was he on for? should start the next game with crouch but probably wont.
and as for the control and discipline capello has installed in the squad, i dont know if these are the exact words but it went something like this "nice to see your own fans booing, thats loyal support". right into the fucking camera. he couldnt have said it in the tunnel because he knows he can do whatever the fuck he wants and get away with it

capello is a shitbag who is scared to drop the big names and it is going to cost us any chance we had, i know it was a fucking very slim chance but struggling in the group stage is never be acceptable.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: De jong

Postby Wooders » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:30 am

The problem is that neither Sven nor Capello has the bollocks to drop 1 of either Lampard or Gerrard - they cannot work together cohesively at all and we need to back one and bench the other and have done for the best part of the decade
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum