Proper Football

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Proper Football

Postby Slim » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:17 am

WIN THE LEAGUE!

WIN THE EUROPA LEAGUE!

WIN THE LEAGUE CUP!

WIN THE FA CUP!

Let's start looking to win things, not put in a good showing but fall short.

Eventually we have to stop pretending to be a [strike]fledgling nation[/strike] work in progress and start delivering.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby The Man In Blue » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:25 am

BobKowalski wrote:
Mike J wrote:i actually think the past 3 days or so have been quality.

watching england brings it down a few notches. they are shit.

Agreed. The second round of games have been much better but then the first round of group games are invariably dull affairs at every WC so I tend not to get that worked up about it. There is always a debate about the ball at every WC and usually the poor standard of officials so I tend to ignore endless bollocks about the ball and am relatively surprised about how good the reffing has been so far.

Throw in the fact that I don't even notice the vuvuzelas means I am thoroughly enjoying the WC with England's woeful displays being the only depressing factor.

i agree with this. i love the world cup, i think it has been getting steadily better and i have enjoyed watching Argentina, Mexico and Uruguay. Fucking England have to try and ruin it but we will probably be out of it soon so i'll resume enjoying the rest of it.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby saulman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:40 am

King Kev wrote:I have to say that this is the worst World Cup I have ever seen, for many reasons! The ball's shit, the weather's shit, the vuvuzelas are shit, the coverage is shit and on the whole, the football is shit. I'm sick of it already!

I'm finding myself in total agreement once again. I was hoping to forget next season for a few weeks, but instead I'm praying for next season to start. Fuckin typical.

I think we'll have a very good idea about next season after the first two games. I've got a feeling we'll show up at spurs and absolutely fuck them over. I've always been a bit of an optimist though.
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Rag_hater » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:53 am

I think its been a great WC,a few upsets already.Proper football.Watching Messi,Robbie and a few others playing top class stuff has been great.
Rag_hater

Postby Twobob » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:07 am

The WC might pick up a bit with the knock out stages, as has been mentioned before these mini-leagues are dull as fuck most of the time, especially the first games

Other than that, cant wait for the new season to start! International football would be long dead and burried if FIFA didnt make so much money from it and the games havent been a sell out - could see it being replaced by a serious global club competition similar to the Chumps league for each countries top one or two clubs to compete ...
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby King Kev » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:19 am

dazby wrote:Sorry Kev, I can't hear you because of the Vuzevulas. Been a good WC you pack of whingers, with some good performances. If the Argentina game didn't impress you you are hard to please. If the Swiss win against the odds didn't impress you you are hard to please. The tournament has only just started. It will get even better.
I agree that there have been a couple of decent games, that was why I said "on the whole, the football is shit"
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:57 am

King Kev wrote:
dazby wrote:Sorry Kev, I can't hear you because of the Vuzevulas. Been a good WC you pack of whingers, with some good performances. If the Argentina game didn't impress you you are hard to please. If the Swiss win against the odds didn't impress you you are hard to please. The tournament has only just started. It will get even better.
I agree that there have been a couple of decent games, that was why I said "on the whole, the football is shit"

ironically, for you i'm sure, here in the US people are WC mad. It's on everywhere, people are talking about it all day long. It's a huge huge topic of conversation. I don't think i've had a single conversation in the last week that hasn't somehow diverted itself to "how fun is the WC" somewhere in there. Awesome America.

it's been fine for me so far. some nice stuff, some crap. I'm satisfied just on the basis of having 3 footy matches on everyday. Who the fucl can bitch about that?

Who's impressed me so far?

The Uruguayan squad and Chile. Elia and Ozil from the Dutch and ze Germans. That winger Sanchez from Chile was tasty to watch. Podolski. What a left foot for the Germans...but he spit his bit yesterday didn't he? N Korea as a whole were lucky but i loved seeing their heart. Also, the Swiss team performance was solid and showed conviction. Love hearing how much De Jong is being bigged up in the Dutch-Japan match now. Come on the Dutch. Cheeky bid for Sneijder?

Some drinks (altho mine's a coffee now at 8 AM ;) ). Some football. Everything's OK.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Original Dub » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:04 pm

I had a think about this as well, and while I agree the vuvus are ear bleeders, I think you may be jumping the gun a bit, because all in all, there hasn't actually been more than maybe ONE decent fixture. Its been shite teams against good for the most part.

So I reckon these are the worst opening matches I've ever seen in the world cup... I'll revisit this again later...

Oh and city for the title.

Hoo rah.
Original Dub

Postby Blue Toy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:16 pm

Another shit game on at the mo, it's fucking painful to watch.
[center]Image[/center]
Blue Toy
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:20 pm

Blue Toy wrote:Another shit game on at the mo, it's fucking painful to watch.

yeah. the first 10 minutes of action turned into....blech.

Are you cunts forgetting this tho? Sad sacks.

[youtube]oRDgVGHB6eM[/youtube]
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby dazlebluefrog » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:28 am

true KK its not been the best WC so far ,i hate the group matches carn't wait for the knock-out stage, been a few surprise results spain losing, germany getting turned over by serbia, japan beating cameroon ,england drawing with algeria and the french losing to mexico have been the surprise results so far ,reckon the argies will go a long way just hope when we get Tevez back he wont be to knackered for the start of the prem where i must say we need to hit the ground running
looking forward to a top 4 finish and i'm expecting at least 1 cup maybe even 2 ,i'd like europa and league cup, fcuk it let's get greedy and win all three cups
dazlebluefrog
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Grenoble fc38

Postby colonel_muck » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:33 am

Don't see a lot of players having trouble with the ball, like the vuvuzelas (the more noise the better at a match for me), and think that this world cup is far better than germany 4 years ago. what the hell is everyone's problem?
colonel_muck
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Slim » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:42 am

colonel_muck wrote:Don't see a lot of players having trouble with the ball, like the vuvuzelas (the more noise the better at a match for me), and think that this world cup is far better than germany 4 years ago. what the hell is everyone's problem?

2nd round of matches has been for the most part better, but some of the football has been nothing short of dire.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Rag_hater » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:09 am

Slim wrote:
colonel_muck wrote:Don't see a lot of players having trouble with the ball, like the vuvuzelas (the more noise the better at a match for me), and think that this world cup is far better than germany 4 years ago. what the hell is everyone's problem?

2nd round of matches has been for the most part better, but some of the football has been nothing short of dire.

There's dire matches in every comp.The prem has its fair share.I think this WC is turning into one of the best.A lot of European teams are finding out its a world sport and the arrogance they have shown is coming to slap them in the face somewhat.Its been great watching the big teams getting humbled except for Brazil who I like.
Rag_hater

Postby Slim » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:12 am

Rag_hater wrote:
Slim wrote:

There's dire matches in every comp.The prem has its fair share.I think this WC is turning into one of the best.A lot of European teams are finding out its a world sport and the arrogance they have shown is coming to slap them in the face somewhat.Its been great watching the big teams getting humbled except for Brazil who I like.

Thank god for Brazil huh? Dunga was supposed to be instilling a more structured defensive approach but I just don't think the Brazilians can help themselves. Very entertaining matches, I am hoping the same from Chile and Spain tonight. With any luck North Korea can stifle Portugal, cause as much as I love entertaining football, I want them to crash and burn more.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Fish111 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:30 am

King Kev wrote:I have to say that this is the worst World Cup I have ever seen, for many reasons! The ball's shit, the weather's shit, the vuvuzelas are shit, the coverage is shit and on the whole, the football is shit.

Agree wholeheartedly with the above.

City to win everything next season, anything less will be deemed as failure!!!
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:42 am

I was bored by the World Cup before it began. I've not watched a great deal of it, mainly because every time I put a game on it looks the same as the last one, with a lot of square passing across the back and no ambition or adventure shown. It has been utter shite so far. I only even managed the slightest flicker of interest hearing that France had been dicked again.
We should have got fourth last season, should have an improved squad and they should have more understanding together this time out. So all in all I'm looking forward to a half decent season.
Or will t be chaos and Bobby out by Xmas. Who the fuck knows. But I can't wait for proper footer again.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby btajim » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:26 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I was bored by the World Cup before it began. I've not watched a great deal of it, mainly because every time I put a game on it looks the same as the last one, with a lot of square passing across the back and no ambition or adventure shown. It has been utter shite so far. I only even managed the slightest flicker of interest hearing that France had been dicked again.
We should have got fourth last season, should have an improved squad and they should have more understanding together this time out. So all in all I'm looking forward to a half decent season.
Or will t be chaos and Bobby out by Xmas. Who the fuck knows. But I can't wait for proper footer again.

Footer? Never heard anyone call it that before.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:02 pm

btajim wrote:
Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I was bored by the World Cup before it began. I've not watched a great deal of it, mainly because every time I put a game on it looks the same as the last one, with a lot of square passing across the back and no ambition or adventure shown. It has been utter shite so far. I only even managed the slightest flicker of interest hearing that France had been dicked again.

Footer? Never heard anyone call it that before.

It's a Northern thing Jimbo ;-)
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby sandman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:29 pm

My heart says we will come top 4 and get a trophy.

My head says we have a lot more games in the Europa League so if we finished the same as this year then we would have improved.

Typical City says we will finish around tenth and get knocked out of all competitions to lower league opposition then change managers for someone that nobody likes and the forum will turn into another split keep/sack manager debate?
sandman

Supporter of: City

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum