***Official England v Algeria Thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***Official England v Algeria Thread***

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:52 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
btajim wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:I disagree mate, and I rate a couple of our players above him. Yes, he is good for a a team who have a great (and I mean that) club manager, but he is not in the same league as the rest of the top players; fuck potentially, he is not that player. And what really winds me up is that he has no allegiance to our country, failing to sing the National Anthem, regardless of choice.

Honestly mate, if we are relying on him to take us anywhere then I'll give up now, just like Lennon, they have no pride whatsoever. They are a law unto themselves and won't help us prove our worth, which has been shown (sad face there mate).

Could you name the English Players you rate above Rooney to play in that position? I wouldn't be starting with Heskey btw.

And Capello was once one of the very finest Managers in the World. I've no doubt about it. The professionalism he installed in England from day one was evident - but it's fallen apart as soon as the World Cup arrived. Look at how easy qualification was.

I'm still optimistic that things will click in time for the Slovenia Match but I'll be leading the riots if England finish 3rd in the Group. Well, I won't be rioting but you know what I mean.

Cheers for the reply Jim, only just spotted it. And the answer to your question (without looking down my nose at you) is that I actually rate a few higher than Rooney in that position because I just don't see him as an out-and-out striker. For me he is a second striker, someone who sits off the front man, picks up the bits and pieces and allows the front man to do his business. In my opinion, that's the problem with our current set-up, we're using Heskey in the second striker role which should be where Rooney is and if you are playing a 2nd striker to feed a 2nd striker then there's going to be problems, if you know what I mean.

For me, I'd put Bent, Defoe and even Peter Crouch above him in the front man role as I actually see the likes of Defoe and Bent as out-and-out strikers, with Crouch somewhere inbetween. The problem is that no manager has the balls to drop him from the 1st team or seemingly now, not even able to play him off a front man. Don't get me wrong, Rooney is a quality player but I just wonder if he'd be that 1st name on the team sheet if he wasn't at U***d but still at Everton? At U***d, Taggart has renewed his faith in him due to the sale of Tranny but if you look past this season, is Rooney really the star performer that we are led to believe he is? Yes, he runs around a lot, yes he scores some goals, but if you consider that last season he scored less Premier goals than our very own Robinho, and only the same amount as Bent, who had limited appearances and finished 7 places lower than the Champions, then it does get you thinking. The season before that he scored about the same as Defoe and the season before that only scored 1 more goal than Bent, who was playing for fucking Charlton.

I was checking up on some stats prior to the WC starting and was amazed to find that Rooney's success rate was 1 goal in nearly 2 games (about 170 minutes), whereas Crouch who has not been a regular starter had a success rate of a goal a game (about 95 mins), even Defoe was a goal in 125 minutes. I checked on Bent but there wasn't much as you'd well guess, but when you look at his record for Sunderland this year, a team that finished 13th in the league, 24 goals is no mean feat by any standards.

So Jim, hopefully I've give you a valid answer, without starting with Heskey! Rooney may be your cup of tea for leading the attack, but for me he should play off the front man, as Heskey does with him.

v. good post there mate. Agree 100% about the 2x 2nd striker issue. Rooney is not the man to hang our hat on for England, but i'd love to see him play behind bent/defoe.

The sad truth is though, our forward line is not world class whoever fills those spots, which increases the pressure on Gerrard & Lampard to up their contribution in the goals and creativity department, as a result when Rooney plays with Heskey, we almost have our best 3 players overwhelmed by the extra creative and goalscoring responsibility/workload they have to take on
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Dameerto » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:52 pm

In a few years if we end up with a team of new players that doesn't carry such a heavy burden of expectation, and if the manager shields them from the media wanting sound bites on a daily basis, we might just end up with a tournament performance to smile about.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:04 pm

johnpb78 wrote:v. good post there mate. Agree 100% about the 2x 2nd striker issue. Rooney is not the man to hang our hat on for England, but i'd love to see him play behind bent/defoe.

The sad truth is though, our forward line is not world class whoever fills those spots, which increases the pressure on Gerrard & Lampard to up their contribution in the goals and creativity department, as a result when Rooney plays with Heskey, we almost have our best 3 players overwhelmed by the extra creative and goalscoring responsibility/workload they have to take on

Cheers pal, it is a conundrum isn't it, but hopefully one that will be addressed by Fabio, because if things stay the same, we won't be going any further in this competition. People may well be thinking that we will walk all over Slovenia, but in reality we were supposed to do that to our last 2 opponents. Who says we are going get an easy ride from a nation that are currently in the driving seat and who only need a draw to go through!?!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby btajim » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:20 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
btajim wrote:Could you name the English Players you rate above Rooney to play in that position? I wouldn't be starting with Heskey btw.

And Capello was once one of the very finest Managers in the World. I've no doubt about it. The professionalism he installed in England from day one was evident - but it's fallen apart as soon as the World Cup arrived. Look at how easy qualification was.

I'm still optimistic that things will click in time for the Slovenia Match but I'll be leading the riots if England finish 3rd in the Group. Well, I won't be rioting but you know what I mean.

Cheers for the reply Jim, only just spotted it. And the answer to your question (without looking down my nose at you) is that I actually rate a few higher than Rooney in that position because I just don't see him as an out-and-out striker. For me he is a second striker, someone who sits off the front man, picks up the bits and pieces and allows the front man to do his business. In my opinion, that's the problem with our current set-up, we're using Heskey in the second striker role which should be where Rooney is and if you are playing a 2nd striker to feed a 2nd striker then there's going to be problems, if you know what I mean.

For me, I'd put Bent, Defoe and even Peter Crouch above him in the front man role as I actually see the likes of Defoe and Bent as out-and-out strikers, with Crouch somewhere inbetween. The problem is that no manager has the balls to drop him from the 1st team or seemingly now, not even able to play him off a front man. Don't get me wrong, Rooney is a quality player but I just wonder if he'd be that 1st name on the team sheet if he wasn't at U***d but still at Everton? At U***d, Taggart has renewed his faith in him due to the sale of Tranny but if you look past this season, is Rooney really the star performer that we are led to believe he is? Yes, he runs around a lot, yes he scores some goals, but if you consider that last season he scored less Premier goals than our very own Robinho, and only the same amount as Bent, who had limited appearances and finished 7 places lower than the Champions, then it does get you thinking. The season before that he scored about the same as Defoe and the season before that only scored 1 more goal than Bent, who was playing for fucking Charlton.

I was checking up on some stats prior to the WC starting and was amazed to find that Rooney's success rate was 1 goal in nearly 2 games (about 170 minutes), whereas Crouch who has not been a regular starter had a success rate of a goal a game (about 95 mins), even Defoe was a goal in 125 minutes. I checked on Bent but there wasn't much as you'd well guess, but when you look at his record for Sunderland this year, a team that finished 13th in the league, 24 goals is no mean feat by any standards.

So Jim, hopefully I've give you a valid answer, without starting with Heskey! Rooney may be your cup of tea for leading the attack, but for me he should play off the front man, as Heskey does with him.

Without looking down your nose at me? Pardon? Are you trying to get my back up? Apologies if my response makes you feel small, awkward, inferior or stupid. I doubt it will - but if you want to tread on egg shells then I will too.

You're happy to remain with Heskey as the Big Man up front with Rooney just off him despite them presently creating no Goals between them so far? I want to know who you'd play with or instead of Rooney and you don't actually give me an answer. You just explain where he plays in your England Team. With Defoe? Crouch?

Rooney had a spectacular seasons with the RAGs in 09/10 and his form warrants a regular starting place for England. If anything, his disappointing display last night is highlighted because of the previous heights he's reached. Rooney just needs to be utilised correctly because he does not lack ability to do the job. How about Rooney up front on his own and 5 men behind him? I've given an example Team in the thread I've started for the Slovenia Match.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby King Kev » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:17 pm

King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:22 pm

btajim wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
btajim wrote:Could you name the English Players you rate above Rooney to play in that position? I wouldn't be starting with Heskey btw.

Without looking down your nose at me? Pardon? Are you trying to get my back up? Apologies if my response makes you feel small, awkward, inferior or stupid. I doubt it will - but if you want to tread on egg shells then I will too.

You're happy to remain with Heskey as the Big Man up front with Rooney just off him despite them presently creating no Goals between them so far? I want to know who you'd play with or instead of Rooney and you don't actually give me an answer. You just explain where he plays in your England Team. With Defoe? Crouch?

Rooney had a spectacular seasons with the RAGs in 09/10 and his form warrants a regular starting place for England. If anything, his disappointing display last night is highlighted because of the previous heights he's reached. Rooney just needs to be utilised correctly because he does not lack ability to do the job. How about Rooney up front on his own and 5 men behind him? I've given an example Team in the thread I've started for the Slovenia Match.

Did you actually read my post? In no way do I feel belittled, even though the highlighted line was a way of trying. You then go on to suggest that I want to play Rooney behind Heskey, where did I say this Jim; in fact, where do I actually mention Heskey apart from the last line?

If you read it, what you'll find is that I believe Rooney should be played in the Heskey role, Heskey should be shot and that we should have one of the others as the front man, but I'm sure you already know that mate don't you?

Oh, and here's your Egg Shells Back, you'll know what to do wih them!
Stay Frosty!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby btajim » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:32 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:If you read it, what you'll find is that I believe Rooney should be played in the Heskey role, Heskey should be shot and that we should have one of the others as the front man, but I'm sure you already know that mate don't you?

Heskey and Rooney haven't scored a Goal between themselves in 2 Matches against mediocre opposition and you want to stick with them whilst playing the more succesful side in the Group? Great...

Bring back Corradi to replace Tevez.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:34 am

btajim wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:If you read it, what you'll find is that I believe Rooney should be played in the Heskey role, Heskey should be shot and that we should have one of the others as the front man, but I'm sure you already know that mate don't you?

Heskey and Rooney haven't scored a Goal between themselves in 2 Matches against mediocre opposition and you want to stick with them whilst playing the more succesful side in the Group? Great...

Ha ha ha, now your just making yourself look foolish!

As I said, Stay Frosty Big Man.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ross.mcfc » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:18 am

ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:31 am

Got to feel sorry for English. Couple of shit games and Krauts, Yanks, Jocks and Chicken men all gather to have pop.

I think I'll be cheering for England for the rest of the competition just to keep it balanced.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby btajim » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:56 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
btajim wrote:Heskey and Rooney haven't scored a Goal between themselves in 2 Matches against mediocre opposition and you want to stick with them whilst playing the more succesful side in the Group? Great...

I'm sorry? Which part? The bit where I relay a fact or the obvious joke?

"Big Man"? Quite...
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:09 am

ross.mcfc wrote:Image

Well it's fucking true isn't it? If we'd played like that against decent teams we'd be out of the competition.

(What sort of sad fuck keeps a jpeg of the back page of 'The Sun' from God knows when? Hahahah Jesus!. Wherever that's come from, the owner is one sad bastard!)
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:18 am

btajim wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
btajim wrote:Heskey and Rooney haven't scored a Goal between themselves in 2 Matches against mediocre opposition and you want to stick with them whilst playing the more succesful side in the Group? Great...

I'm sorry? Which part? The bit where I relay a fact or the obvious joke?

"Big Man"? Quite...

But Jim, you are clearly stating the FACT that I somehow wish to persevere with our current forward line-up when it definately isn't the case. If you cannot have a discussion without trying to twist opinions to somehow suit your own agenda or in an attempt to make the poster out to have opinions that they clearly have not, then a suggest you refrain from quoting them (in this case, me).

Have a Nice Day now.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby btajim » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:09 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:But Jim, you are clearly stating the FACT that I somehow wish to persevere with our current forward line-up when it definately isn't the case. If you cannot have a discussion without trying to twist opinions to somehow suit your own agenda or in an attempt to make the poster out to have opinions that they clearly have not, then a suggest you refrain from quoting them (in this case, me).

Have a Nice Day now.

Can you put your England Team for the Slovenia Match in the relevant thread, please? I'll look forwards to dissecting it once I get back from my Counselling session.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum