***Official England v Algeria Thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

***Official England v Algeria Thread***

Postby ryanmjo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:43 pm

England team:
James; Johnson, Terry, Carra, A Cole; Lampard, Barry; Lennon, Rooney, Gerrard; Heskey

Waiting to hear about the Algerians. Heard the goalkeeper is a fitness doubt.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Re: ***Official England v Algeria Thread***

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:48 pm

What is it with goalkeepers at this world cup? There's about 10 teams with 'keepers injured, doubtful, or not fully fit. It never seems that bad in league football, or am I just being naive?
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Kyle » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:52 pm

The algeria keeper is probably just a doubt due to him being whipped by the entire team for his mistake last game! The mind boggles as to what would happen if the North Korean keeper made the same mistake...
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby Dameerto » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:02 pm

I quite like these FIFA previews so I'll stick one in again (http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/ro ... eview.html)

Preview
The tussle for the top two spots in 2010 FIFA World Cup™ Group C will intensify when England take to the field against Algeria on Friday. For Fabio Capello’s men, the mission will be to put their underwhelming draw against USA behind them, while their opponents need to bounce back from their loss to Slovenia knowing that a second successive setback would spell the end of their qualification hopes.

The match
England-Algeria, Group C, Cape Town, Friday 18 June, 20.30 (local time)
The Three Lions let two precious points slip between their fingers when they kicked off their bid against the United States. Overall, they looked short of ideas going forward, but that could all change with the return of Gareth Barry from an ankle injury, the midfielder's presence allowing Steven Gerrard to get further forward after spending most of England’s opener chasing the ball. Despite Barry’s return, the spectre of fitness worries nonetheless continues to hang over the squad, with centre-back Ledley King a doubt for the rest of the tournament after suffering a serious groin complaint against the Stars and Stripes.

At the other end of the pitch, Algeria will be anxious to give a more convincing account of themselves than they managed against Slovenia, although they will have to cope without forward Abdelkader Ghezzal after he saw red in that game. Coach Rabah Saadane could turn to Rafik Saifi to fill the void, with the striker seemingly fit again following the ankle injury he picked up during his late substitute cameo last time out. Above all, Les Fennecs will hope for a sterling showing from their defensive quartet of Madjid Bougherra, Anther Yahia, Rafik Halliche and Nadir Belhadj, who all boast experience in Europe. Belhadj will be particularly familiar with the England line-up, having spent the last two seasons with Portsmouth.

Players to watch
Steven Gerrard v Karim Ziani
The battle for midfield mastery ought to be an enthralling contest, with England captain Gerrard coming up against Algeria’s beating heart in Ziani. The former will look to demonstrate his quality as he did when he opened the scoring early on against the United States, while Ziani will be focused on helping his team-mates spring a surprise and claw their way back into the qualification equation. The Wolfsburg man already boasts the upper hand over his Liverpool counterpart in terms of completed passes, having picked out a colleague 70 per cent of the time compared to Gerrard's 59 per cent success rate.

The stat
2 – The number of goals England have conceded in five matches against African teams at the FIFA World Cup. Cameroon fired both those efforts in a memorable quarter-final at Italy 1990, making them the only side from Africa to have found the net against the Three Lions on the global stage. Cameroon nonetheless lost that encounter, with England's record from the five matches reading three wins and two draws.

What they said
"We have a lot of players who can score goals, but for us to get a better result I'll need to play better than I did last time and score. I don't feel any pressure because the team are playing well," - Wayne Rooney, England striker

"We have several talented players who can make things happen. We're going to pose the England team plenty of problems and we'll be more ambitious than we were against Slovenia. It's a role that suits us well." - Anther Yahia, Algeria defender and captain

The question
Algeria's only FIFA World Cup strike against a side from the United Kingdom came against Northern Ireland at Mexico 1986. Will the Desert Foxes be able to get their first goal of the tournament and become only the second African team to register against England?
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:13 pm

We need a good win tonight, i think we can bag a few goals against these.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Dameerto » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:35 pm

Not too happy about Gerrard playing on the left, BUT it might mean Cole gets involved from early on, since Gerrard tends to come inside anyway.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby btajim » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:13 pm

A player like Gerrard is never going to be getting chalk marks on his left boot during the Match so it's natural he'll drift in towards the centre.

I think one of Crouch or Defoe are going to need to start before too long. 0-0 at half time and Heskey will have to make way.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Dameerto » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:19 pm

I just think back to the friendly (think it was Mexico) where he started on the left though - he was one of the reasons we were playing so crap for 45 minutes.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby btajim » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:31 pm

I was at the Mexico Match. Glen Johnson played very well. Quite an underrated Player.

I'd edge Lampard over Gerrard in the middle of the pitch because he's got a better record for England - but I believe Gerrard is the better Player overall. Just. Without Barry to sit back then one would have to be on the Bench.

The crowd are in good voice. Perhaps the England Fans have been shoving those Horns where the sun doesn't shine.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:50 pm

Gareth Barry, MoTM for me!

I miss Shaun.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:51 pm

The problem with the back 4.................................they still don't trust the keeper!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dameerto » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:52 pm

That's how you catch the ball
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:53 pm

And where the fuck is the right-wing cover!

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby shawzy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:54 pm

Is Barry the only one playing in MF.....Lennons been shit so far.How he got the nod over Johnno or SWP
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:56 pm

Dameerto wrote:That's how you catch the ball

Good take, and we need more of that, we need trust at the back.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby dazlebluefrog » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:56 pm

when do the england players come on the pitch to play 25 mins gone only 1 goal attempt fcuk what is going on
dazlebluefrog
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Grenoble fc38

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:56 pm

Rooney - 120 mins he has played in this WC and he has been the worse player on the pitch.

Overhyped wanker.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:57 pm

dazlebluefrog wrote:when do the england players come on the pitch to play 25 mins gone only 1 goal attempt fcuk what is going on

Looks like the attacking part of the team have left it to the defence to sort out!

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dameerto » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:58 pm

Thank fewk for Barry
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:58 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:Rooney - 120 mins he has played in this WC and he has been the worse player on the pitch.

Overhyped wanker.

he is shit so far this WC. What will he do when he actually plays a back four? Hope you don't meet Serbia or Uruguay, etc

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum