***OFFICIAL South Africa Vs Uruguay 16/6***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

***OFFICIAL South Africa Vs Uruguay 16/6***

Postby Dameerto » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:18 pm

Preview courtesy of FIFA (http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/ro ... eview.html)

Preview
Group A looks too close to call after two draws on the opening day, but hosts South Africa and Uruguay should have a clearer idea of their destinies at this FIFA World Cup™ after what promises to be a hotly contested encounter in the heartland of Tshwane/Pretoria. While it is far-fetched to suggest that their Loftus Versfeld Stadium encounter will be decisive, a victory for either side would go a long way to booking a place in the Round of 16.

The match
South Africa-Uruguay, Loftus Stadium, Wednesday 16 June, 20.30 (local time)

They may be riding a wave of optimism inside the host country, but Carlos Alberto Parreira's South Africa will face a tough task against Uruguay. In their opening game against France, the Uruguayans showed that they possess the ability to contain teams and launch dangerous counter-attacks. Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez has hinted that against South Africa they will be more adventurous compared to that safety-first approach.

Uruguay have been preparing in Kimberley, a town famous for the surrounding gold mines, but it is goals that Uruguay want after their stalemate with France hence Tabarez's expection decision to go with an extra striker in Edinson Cavani. The South Africans too want to improve on their finishing after the 1-1 draw with Mexico, where striker Katlego Mphela missed a glorious chance in the dying moments, watching in agony as his shot shaved the upright.

Still, South Africa gave their millions of home supporters cause for optimism with their opening display against Mexico. When pressed against the ropes in the first 20 minutes, they were able to absorb the pressure and, having overcome the stage fright that gripped them early on, found a head of steam in the second half. It was a performance that served notice that the hosts should not be taken lightly and the fact that they were less than 10 minutes from victory against an organised and polished Mexican side earned them rave reviews.

Players to watch
Itumeleng Khune v Diego Forlan

South Africa's exciting young goalkeeper, Itumeng Khune, is in the form of his life, as seen by his flying save from Alessandro Dos Santos in the second half of the game against Mexico. He showed his importance to Bafana Bafana in that Opening Match and may need to be at his best again to deny a Uruguay front line including Atletico Madrid striker Diego Forlan. Although expected to play behind the front two, Forlan will be hustling for an opportunity to open his account after missing a late scoring chance against France. South Africa showed a lack of concentration when conceding an equaliser to Mexico and Forlan will be looking to exploit any such weaknesses.

The stat
7 – the number of goals scored between the two sides in their two previous meetings. All the goals came during the 1997 FIFA Confederations Cup match in Saudi Arabia where South Africa lost 4-3.

What they say
"I think we broke the ice [against Mexico]. We will be much better against Uruguay because now we know what we're going to get and what to expect. I think there are some things that we need to fix as well. We need to concentrate until the last minute and we need to take our chances in a game like this because they are a really good team," - South Africa midfielder Steven Pienaar.

"All matches are different – now we're facing South Africa, then Mexico, they will all be different, all difficult games. Hopefully we will be able to get more control of the ball; that way we will be able to run less and rest more, and manage the flow of the game better. South Africa is a team with good players, fast players that can counter and come out very quickly so we are going to have to be very careful," - Uruguay forward Diego Forlan
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Re: ***OFFICIAL South Africa Vs Uruguay 16/6***

Postby Slim » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:21 pm

Word from the pundits here is that Suarez and Forlan do not like each other and while I didn't notice it, there is suspicion that they won't pass to each other. After the Gourcuff incident, I wouldn't discount it.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dameerto » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:24 pm

I'm leaning towards a narrow Uruguay win in this one, but South Africa are at home and could rise to the occasion.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby kinkylola » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:54 pm

this game will be boring as fuck. you heard it here first.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Dameerto » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:57 pm

What a goal from Forlan
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Slim » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:57 pm

kinkylola wrote:this game will be boring as fuck. you heard it here first.

Yep, Forlan 1-0.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Sister of fu » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:10 pm

Slim wrote:
kinkylola wrote:this game will be boring as fuck. you heard it here first.

Yep, Forlan 1-0.

I have a vitual bet on him getting 2.....give it to Forlan!!
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Kyle » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:16 pm

Slim wrote:Word from the pundits here is that Suarez and Forlan do not like each other and while I didn't notice it, there is suspicion that they won't pass to each other. After the Gourcuff incident, I wouldn't discount it.

I noticed this in the game versus France, and was wondering if it was just an off game or that they didn't get on... It's pretty evident after the first half it is the later. So far Suarez looks totally overrated and not even worth as much as Benjani.
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby Dameerto » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:19 pm

So how come he stopped the game on exactly 45 mins? I thought they automatically added a bit of time on for a goal. I know there was no board, but doesn't the ref add the time on for goals?
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Slim » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:20 pm

Suarez had a brilliant chance to make it two, he has this blisteringly fast first step, easily got enough room but took another touch and sent it into the side netting, he really hasn't hit the level we'd expect from him.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dameerto » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:30 pm

Slim wrote:Suarez had a brilliant chance to make it two, he has this blisteringly fast first step, easily got enough room but took another touch and sent it into the side netting, he really hasn't hit the level we'd expect from him.

I think he should have gone inside insterad of going outside of the defender - he'd have had a much better chance of getting it on target - that was a very good chance for a 2-0 lead
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby The Man In Blue » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:39 pm

lawrenson should be fucking electrocuted for that attempt at humour.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Slim » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:05 pm

Oh, it's all happening here.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dameerto » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:05 pm

Poor Khune - red card for the South African keeper (it's his own fault though)
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Slim » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:07 pm

I would think that's South Africa on their way home.

On the upside, short trip.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:12 pm

Slim wrote:I would think that's South Africa on their way home.

Good - That might mean less vuvuzelas at other matches.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Slim » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:14 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Slim wrote:I would think that's South Africa on their way home.

Good - That might mean less vuvuzelas at other matches.

Oh carl, I forgot to tell you. There was a report in the pre-game on the vuvuzela's, apparently the traditional south african horn is a tradition stretching back 7 years, when they were imported from China.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:16 pm

Come on SA, get one back.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Slim » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:17 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Come on SA, get one back.

Mphela with a Dempsey style shot, apparently the Uruguayan keeper isn't useless.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:18 pm

Slim wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Come on SA, get one back.

Mphela with a Dempsey style shot, apparently the Uruguayan keeper isn't useless.

Ha ha ha, do you know one who is?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum