Clint Dempsey Dumps on England

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Clint Dempsey Dumps on England

Postby Florida Blue » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:37 pm

Have not seen this article posted....I am not sure how prudent this is, but better he said it after and not before. I am sure many of you will agree that expectations are not with the means. It is very clear to me the USA is decent at best, makes me wonder how either team (assuming they both get out as they should) will fair in the group of 16.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/worldcup2010/3016012/Clint-Dempsey-England-are-running-scared.html

ENGLAND are running scared as they prepare to face Algeria in their must-win World Cup crunch.

The damning verdict on Fabio Capello's men was delivered by USA star Clint Dempsey. He reckons the fear factor was already in evidence as England stumbled to a 1-1 draw against the States in their Group C opener.

The Fulham striker said: "Honestly it seemed during the game that they were dealing with a lot of pressure.

"I don't know why that is, you could just sense it a little bit. Even though they did score early, when we came back and we equalised, they just seemed edgy. They really did."

Dempsey, who was gifted the USA leveller by Rob Green's howler on Saturday, reckons even the likes of Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard are showing nerves.

He added: "You wouldn't think that would be the case for some of the best players in the world being on teams of the quality of Chelsea or Liverpool, winning the Champions League or the title. You would think these players would be full of confidence.

"There just seemed to be an edge to the team but it could have just been the opening game.

"You would have to ask them if it affected their performance.

"But they were edgy, there was an edginess to their game but I think they're a team with quality and they should play with confidence."

Dempsey, 27, also reckons Wayne Rooney posed no threat in Rustenburg.

He insisted: "We knew Rooney was going to go back and hold and we knew the further he was away from goal the better for us, so we had that under control."

And there was no sympathy for Green. Dempsey said: "It's probably a save the keeper should have made. I didn't expect it to go in.

"When you hit it, you're kinda like 'Mmmm does it have a chance?' and then you see the keeper mishandle it and you're excited."
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Re: Clint Dempsey Dumps on England

Postby ryanmjo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:41 pm

I'm biased, but I don't think he said anything wrong. Look at the points he made:
1.) England are under a lot of pressure - I don't think anyone denies that.
2.) Wayne Rooney didn't do much - He's a great player, but in the 2nd half he had to come back almost to the halfway line to get the ball.
3.) Green should have saved that shot. - Again, I don't think anyone can deny that.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Florida Blue » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:45 pm

[quote="ryanmjo"]I'm biased, but I don't think he said anything wrong. Look at the points he made:
1.) England are under a lot of pressure - I don't think anyone denies that.
2.) Wayne Rooney didn't do much - He's a great player, but in the 2nd half he had to come back almost to the halfway line to get the ball.
3.) Green should have saved that shot. - Again, I don't think anyone can deny that.[/quote]

I think that Michael Owen in the Telegraph disagreed with that... laughable for sure...

I agree with all he said, and then some, but not sure you want to say things like that during the tournament. Especially when there is a chance, albeit, unlikey, you could play again.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Dameerto » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:49 pm

According to Michael Owen he doesn't have a history of injuries though - so we know what his opinion is worth!
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Slim » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:51 pm

Dameerto wrote:According to Michael Owen he doesn't have a history of injuries though - so we know what his opinion is worth!

That because he chains them together and only counts them as one.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:57 pm

I just spotted this then realised I don't care.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby kinkylola » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:23 pm

i dont really think this qualifies as dumping on england to be honest. He was probably asked the question "do you think england is under a lot of pressure to do well at this world cup." answer is obviously yes. Sad part is it's your own media that puts the pressure there. Looking back at the game if you told me that pressure/nerves had affected england's game, I wouldn't be able to disagree with you. How else do you explain almost every single player under performing? I mean, who in the england team comes out with any credit from that match.

What dempsey actually did was complement the english players, saying they are the best in the world ... play in the best league and says they played poorly ... which means they should have won, which is all true.

Another truth is that in all your warm-up games and the usa match you looked piss poor. I watch tons of prem games all throughout the season, I know what those players can do, I've seen it. What you have at the world cup is a bunch of individually talented players and a piss poor team. The USA is a bunch of nothings that pull together to make a team. There's a lesson to be learned by the english team and the english media somewhere in there.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Grob » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:24 pm

Fuck off Clint
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Slim » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:25 pm

Grob wrote:Fuck off Clunt

Corrected.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:50 pm

Grob wrote:Fuck off Clint

Clint Dempsey is a dirty cheating little roughneck cunt who i hate when he plays City.

i'm sure if he played at City i'd love him because i was even excited for Gelson today tbh. I was. i thought "fuck off...nice work Gelson you fucking scrub. what a shit goal, but good for you son." I said that...in my head. In an English accent to myself.

And he's not even a City player anymore. Gelson. fucking what a weirdo.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby john68 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:08 pm

This is "tournament football" a lot of games in a short space of time. You do what you need to do to get through. germany have been shit almost every World Cup. they just scrape through...often all the way to the final.

England did enough to win. You can't plan for freak goals...shit happens.

I suppose the Septics had no prematch nerves and they certainly didn't play well. A freak goal got them a draw. What's the problem?
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:08 am

john68 wrote:This is "tournament football" a lot of games in a short space of time. You do what you need to do to get through. germany have been shit almost every World Cup. they just scrape through...often all the way to the final.

I suppose the Septics had no prematch nerves and they certainly didn't play well. A freak goal got them a draw. What's the problem?

Wise words. This is a tournament that will probably be won by a solid hardworking team as most World cups are. The elevation to genius/football legend level for most players in these teams usually comes afterwards, apart from the one or two players per team who already have that status.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:45 am

john68 wrote:This is "tournament football" a lot of games in a short space of time. You do what you need to do to get through. germany have been shit almost every World Cup. they just scrape through...often all the way to the final.

it was a crap match from both sides. i can't honestly think of anyone who made me stand up and take notice with a fine performance save Howard maybe. Even that's a stretch. He just did his job.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Slim » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:58 am

DoomMerchant wrote:

it was a crap match from both sides. i can't honestly think of anyone who made me stand up and take notice with a fine performance save Howard maybe. Even that's a stretch. He just did his job.

cheers

I thought the US were fantastic, of course we have to set the bar REALLY low for you talentless clods.

England were obviously utterly shit, because anything an iota over that would have had us winning 5-0.

Good luck against Slovenia, they are the mighty might giants you are fighting over 2nd place with.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:43 am

Slim wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

cheers

I thought the US were fantastic, of course we have to set the bar REALLY low for you talentless clods.

England were obviously utterly shit, because anything an iota over that would have had us winning 5-0.

Good luck against Slovenia, they are the mighty might giants you are fighting over 2nd place with.

bitter cunt. Just coz your Aussie side got hammered doesn't mean you need to hate on the US.

Yr right tho, natch.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby kinkylola » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:02 am

Slim wrote:I thought the US were fantastic, of course we have to set the bar REALLY low for you talentless clods.

do you support england or australia? Either way I feel sorry for you. it's either useless twats or convicted felons that were cast off by the useless twats ... and they've both played shit so far, with no signs of stopping

edit: actually I like australians, but they have looked shit.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Slim » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:23 am

kinkylola wrote:
Slim wrote:I thought the US were fantastic, of course we have to set the bar REALLY low for you talentless clods.

do you support england or australia? Either way I feel sorry for you. it's either useless twats or convicted felons that were cast off by the useless twats ... and they've both played shit so far, with no signs of stopping

edit: actually I like australians, but they have looked shit.

And you'll go out playing the tournament of your lives. I would rather be underachieving than incapable.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby kinkylola » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:34 am

what about underachieving AND incapable? seems to fit england to a tee right now.

we did make it to the quarter finals in 2002 by the way (the farthest england has gotten in 20 years since '90), don't think we'll make it that far this time. So does this still count as the tournament of our lives or was that 2002?
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Slim » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:42 am

kinkylola wrote:what about underachieving AND incapable? seems to fit england to a tee right now.

we did make it to the quarter finals in 2002 by the way (the farthest england has gotten in 20 years since '90), don't think we'll make it that far this time. So does this still count as the tournament of our lives or was that 2002?

Well if we are underachieving and incapable, then why are you giving England shit for drawing against the USA? You seem to think we are capable of a lot better, I think you even said so.

Why wouldn't you make the quarterfinals? You only have to face Germany and surely you should be able to beat them, after all, they only beat the Aussies, right?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Crossie » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:48 am

Jesus this is like being in a play ground, I just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading this thread.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum