***OFFICIAL Spain Vs Switzerland***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

***OFFICIAL Spain Vs Switzerland***

Postby Dameerto » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:10 pm

Image Vs Image 3pm UK time

Preview
Xabi Alonso (C) of Spain laughs with his teammates as they round up for a team talk during a training session

Spain can expect some chilly temperatures in Durban when they take on Switzerland in what will be their 50th FIFA World Cup™ finals match. The heat will almost certainly be on the Swiss, however, who have yet to beat La Roja in 18 attempts.

The match
Spain-Switzerland, Group H, Durban, Wednesday, 16 June, 16.00 (local time)

Having barely put a foot wrong in the last two years, Spain will take the stage at South Africa 2010 amid high expectation. Last week's 6-0 demolition of Poland represented the perfect send-off for a mature and settled side that has been boosted by the recent return to fitness of Fernando Torres and Cesc Fabregas, both of whom have shaken off worrying late-season injuries. The only question mark hangs over Andres Iniesta. Although coach Vicente del Bosque said the Barcelona wizard would recover from his niggles in time, Iniesta has been training at a slower pace than his team-mates in recent days.

The Swiss have plenty of injury problems of their own to ponder. Alexander Frei and Valon Behrami are definitely out, forcing Nati coach Ottmar Hitzfeld to reshuffle his pack. Switzerland's recent form is also a cause for concern, defeats by Costa Rica, Norway and Uruguay having raised doubts about their ability to match their run to the last 16 at Germany 2006 – one they are hoping to repeat, at the very least, this time around.

Players to watch
Cesc Fabregas v Philippe Senderos

When Fabregas signed for Arsenal in 2003 the richly gifted midfielder shared a house with the tall central defender, himself of Spanish descent. Senderos, recently signed by Fulham, took his new team-mate under his wing and the pair built up a strong friendship over the next few seasons. Should Del Bosque be forced to bring in Cesc for Iniesta, the two will renew acquaintances in the most challenging of circumstances.

The stat
394 - The number of minutes Switzerland have gone without conceding a goal at the FIFA World Cup finals. The Swiss kept clean sheets in every one of their games at Germany 2006, going out on penalties to Ukraine in the Round of 16. As fate would have it, it was the Spanish who were the last team to score against them on this stage, midfielder Txiki Beguiristain netting the third in a 3-0 victory in the last 16 at USA 1994.

What they say
"The Spanish aren't just technical, they run a lot too. We'll need to be compact at the back, defend with nine men and hit them on the break when we can. We also need to get in among their midfielders and force some free-kicks. That's where we can be very dangerous," - Ottmar Hitzfeld, Switzerland coach.

"When you're a striker with this national team you can't just stand around, waiting for a chance to come along. You have to keep moving, help out on the flanks and keep changing positions with the other forwards, and you have to use the whole width of the pitch. I score goals because I play for the team," - David Villa, Spain forward.

The question

Can Spain pierce the Swiss defence? Will Die Nati record their first ever win over the Spanish?

(Reproduced without the permission of FIFA, http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/ro ... eview.html)
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Re: ***OFFICIAL Spain Vs Switzerland***

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:58 pm

Spain leave Torres on the bench. England have the late Emile Heskey in our starting line up. I could cry.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Dameerto » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:04 pm

Is Fabregas on the bench? I wasn't paying attention.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Slim » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:05 pm

Yeah, speaks volumes doesn't it?

BTW, is Ramos the most overrated defender since Roberto Carlos?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dameerto » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:06 pm

Since Ledley King (I seem to have a vendetta against him though)
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Slim » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:07 pm

Dameerto wrote:Since Ledley King (I seem to have a vendetta against him though)

You'd have to rate him first in that case I think.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:08 pm

Dameerto wrote:Is Fabregas on the bench? I wasn't paying attention.

I think so but I wasn't paying attention either. Sure he wouldn't fancy Gelson Fernandes trying to shag his leg for 90 mins anyway.

All that attacking talent & Mick fucking McCarthy commentating on it. Break out the fucking vuvuzelas ffs.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dameerto » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:10 pm

I don't know what it is with the Beeb and miserable fucling sidekicks - we had Lawro the other day now its Mcarthy. They should have shaved off a million or two from the construction of their world cup HQ and splashed out on some new talent.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:45 pm

This is gonna end 0-0, Spain should be ahead by now.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Dameerto » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:47 pm

I was surprised by how poor Villa's effort was towards the end, a lame attempt at a chip that was miles off target.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:00 pm

Nice passing but the Swiss look all over the place & there for the taking yet still it's 0-0. No team looks particularly better than anyone else so far imo. Some, like the Germans, have been up against desperately poor opposition & done well but looked poor at the back. Imo no side has been 100% convincing & some have had an easy ride. Cote D'Ivore looked really solid at the back against a skilled side, probably the only team that has played quality oppo & come through looking strong defensively. Brazil defence looked solid against shite until the death & have actually been much better than their attack in the qualifiers.

Expect some will improve as the tournament progresses & they get used to the ridiculous fucking toy footballs Blatter & Co have forced upon them in order to make money.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dameerto » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:08 pm

Well well, Gelson.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Slim » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:08 pm

GET IN GELSON!
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:10 pm

1-0 Gelson Fernandes haha
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:10 pm

I do not fucking believe that. He fucking hit it straight against Piquet & missed initially too but got a 2nd go!

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:14 pm

Spain seem humbled. Do they have any grit?

Also, Pigay's boo-boo was being treated with such tenderness. What a precious man.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Dameerto » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:17 pm

Benaglio's having a great game so far
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Slim » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:21 pm

I am not sure how much he has actually had to save though, lots of nearly moments. I swear I thought that Iniesta shot was in.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:21 pm

Apparently David Villa is not interested in scoring today.

Nando on....he looks and plays better with hair. FACT.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Dameerto » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:22 pm

The main reason he hasn't had to save too many has been his anticipation.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum