Robinho and Elano [MERGED]

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: I want Robinho back

Postby TheGOAT » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:23 am

I want him back, love him. The first one to take a chance with us!!

Unbelievable how people can base there opinion on a person through translated press releases. While at the same time ignoring the numerous times he has told the press he loves City and adores the fans.

We have some of the greatest fans on earth, but its things like this that really annoy me about some City fans.

10 years ago i would have given a bollock to see a player of his talent playing for City.
"Watch a DVD, eat some pizza
**** each other!
I'm serious!!
**** a chicken if that's what it takes...
Watch a chicken ******* a horse...
What? You think the guys at google sat around watching Trumpton?"
TheGOAT
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Re: Robinho and Elano

Postby avoidconfusion » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:25 am

The biggest problem for us is that we never replaced Elano... that's why we miss him.

I don't miss him as a person, I miss him for what he was able to contribute to the team when he could be arsed. Everton away springs to mind, that pass to Robinho for the 1:0 was utterly brilliant.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby ant london » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:29 am

i am with a couple of posters in this....I actually would have Elano back.....I think he would be class in the current squad when he played

if he could be kept happy when he wasn't playing

and when he didn't go missing

he was lovely to watch though,

amazing pennos though....and THAT goal against the barcodes. Pure class
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:09 am

I dont particularly want him back, but here's an interesting thought.

Us and Chelsea are in for pretty much the same players by all accounts. Whilst we have the wedge to pay them a wage, we dont have the pulling power of title winners and Champions League. Would anyone be worried that we tip Chelsea the wink that Robinho can go to them if they pull out for example of the Silva deal, leaving Silva with little alternative but to sign for us.

Would Robinho turn it on at Chelsea, and would it come back to haunt us?

We know what Robinho can do on a good day, and that he is as much use as a chocolate fireguard on a bad day, but signing another player from overseas could leave us with just as much a white elephant as we already have.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Re: Robinho and Elano [MERGED]

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:47 am

If Robinho went to Chelsea, all their teamwork would go to shit while they worked out how to cover for him. We are set up better to cover for him if we sign Toure. We can field a similar formation to Brazil. The stars of the Brazil team, throughout the qualifiers, has been the defence, the goalkeeper & the holding midfielders with just the occasional moment from one of the attackers (often Fabiano). Most of the 'highlights' people see from Robinho & Co are from when they're 2-3 up, often due to a goal or 2 scored by the defenders.

It was the same again v Cote D'Ivore, none of the 3 creators contributing fuck all 'til the game was won. Kaka & Robbie in particular were pathetic. Elano produced about 2 crosses & 5-6 passes to the opposition. Then at 2-0 it's all suddenly backheels & joy.

The best player in the Brazil team for the past few years has been Lucio.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby TheGOAT » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:07 am

Ted Hughes wrote:If Robinho went to Chelsea, all their teamwork would go to shit while they worked out how to cover for him. We are set up better to cover for him if we sign Toure. We can field a similar formation to Brazil. The stars of the Brazil team, throughout the qualifiers, has been the defence, the goalkeeper & the holding midfielders with just the occasional moment from one of the attackers (often Fabiano). Most of the 'highlights' people see from Robinho & Co are from when they're 2-3 up, often due to a goal or 2 scored by the defenders.

It was the same again v Cote D'Ivore, none of the 3 creators contributing fuck all 'til the game was won. Kaka & Robbie in particular were pathetic. Elano produced about 2 crosses & 5-6 passes to the opposition. Then at 2-0 it's all suddenly backheels & joy.

A team would not be ranked No. 1 in the world if it was carrying 3 players every game!!
For 90 minutes these players are a threat, they occupy defenders. They strech teams and create opportunitys.
**** each other!
I'm serious!!
TheGOAT

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:52 am

TheGOAT wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:If Robinho went to Chelsea, all their teamwork would go to shit while they worked out how to cover for him. We are set up better to cover for him if we sign Toure. We can field a similar formation to Brazil. The stars of the Brazil team, throughout the qualifiers, has been the defence, the goalkeeper & the holding midfielders with just the occasional moment from one of the attackers (often Fabiano). Most of the 'highlights' people see from Robinho & Co are from when they're 2-3 up, often due to a goal or 2 scored by the defenders.

A team would not be ranked No. 1 in the world if it was carrying 3 players every game!!
For 90 minutes these players are a threat, they occupy defenders. They strech teams and create opportunitys.

Against lesser sides those players have the confidence to play their game which the likes of England lack. On the whole, with the exception of Fabiano, they often fail to do that against decent sides unless they get in front. Against Argentina for example they were fucking useless & completely outclassed but a combination of bad finishing great goalkeeping & despertate but successful defending kept Argentina from scoring whilst at the other end Brazil played a long/high ball game against a defence which couldn't head the ball. Again it was the defenders getting forward who caused the problems. If you could but Brazil's defence in Argentina's team THEN you'd have a decent quality side to give the teams from the past a game.

Only a dreadful defensive missed tackle followed by a double handball got Brazil 2 up v Cote D'Ivore. They created absolutely nothing else before that & Kaka was almost comical losing the ball & flapping his arms about like Ronaldo at his worst.

As for being No 1 in the world, what this tournament has shown so far is that there are no real quality international sides. They all have serious flaws. International football is, on the whole, shit & a decent quality club side would hammer the lot of them.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wooders » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:58 am

lets face it, if he hadn't already been here we'd all want him to sign.... We can't all be wrong, he went for a good reason - he only plays well in yellow
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:02 am

So if we do sign Toure, do you think there is a case for keeping him?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby TheGOAT » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:11 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
TheGOAT wrote:

Against lesser sides those players have the confidence to play their game which the likes of England lack. On the whole, with the exception of Fabiano, they often fail to do that against decent sides unless they get in front. Against Argentina for example they were fucking useless & completely outclassed but a combination of bad finishing great goalkeeping & despertate but successful defending kept Argentina from scoring whilst at the other end Brazil played a long/high ball game against a defence which couldn't head the ball. Again it was the defenders getting forward who caused the problems. If you could but Brazil's defence in Argentina's team THEN you'd have a decent quality side to give the teams from the past a game.

Only a dreadful defensive missed tackle followed by a double handball got Brazil 2 up v Cote D'Ivore. They created absolutely nothing else before that & Kaka was almost comical losing the ball & flapping his arms about like Ronaldo at his worst.

As for being No 1 in the world, what this tournament has shown so far is that there are no real quality international sides. They all have serious flaws. International football is, on the whole, shit & a decent quality club side would hammer the lot of them.

My point was to be ranked number 1 you have to consistently win games. And teams simply dont do that if they carry players like you was suggesting.

You can point out single games where a team might have been lucky, but overall Brazil are consistantly good.

Good teams play systems to accommodate their flair players. I get the feeling that some City fans want 10 players playing the same way defending/attacking, the way a good 5 a side team would play, when top level 11 a side football simply isnt like that.
**** each other!
I'm serious!!
TheGOAT

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:19 am

johnpb78 wrote:

The case for keeping him is if we can't get anyone to buy him or swap him for someone better, we either have to chuck £30M down the toilet or try to use him somehow. I think that has to be mostly against shite teams at home as, sadly, I don't think he'll produce otherwise.

I was looking to this game against CoteD'Ivore as a test to see if Robinho has actually changed when confronted by tough midfielders, so was watching him avidly along with Elano & Kaka. Whatever people have hynotized themselves into imagining they saw, he was truly pathetic apart from one or two touches, exactly like a City away game. In fact he was still pretty piss even when they were 3 up, giving the ball away casually when they went down to 10 men & taken off straight afterwards. I just can't see him being a 1st choice in the Prem even if we set the team up to suit him. He can only operate if given space. I'd love to be wrong.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:26 am

TheGOAT wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
TheGOAT wrote:

My point was to be ranked number 1 you have to consistently win games. And teams simply dont do that if they carry players like you was suggesting.

You can point out single games where a team might have been lucky, but overall Brazil are consistantly good.

Good teams play systems to accommodate their flair players. I get the feeling that some City fans want 10 players playing the same way defending/attacking, the way a good 5 a side team would play, when top level 11 a side football simply isnt like that.

I've seen almost all of their games over the last few years & they weren't even the best team in their qualifying group. They win yes but compared to the Brazil teams of the past they're absolute shite. Teams are scared of them, like they are the current rag's team but if someone for once has the bottle to face up to them they'll get shown up for what they really are. Not sure anyone has the bottle to produce their best v Brazil though. It's like watching the rags in yellow.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:29 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:

The case for keeping him is if we can't get anyone to buy him or swap him for someone better, we either have to chuck £30M down the toilet or try to use him somehow. I think that has to be mostly against shite teams at home as, sadly, I don't think he'll produce otherwise.

I was looking to this game against CoteD'Ivore as a test to see if Robinho has actually changed when confronted by tough midfielders, so was watching him avidly along with Elano & Kaka. Whatever people have hynotized themselves into imagining they saw, he was truly pathetic apart from one or two touches, exactly like a City away game. In fact he was still pretty piss even when they were 3 up, giving the ball away casually when they went down to 10 men & taken off straight afterwards. I just can't see him being a 1st choice in the Prem even if we set the team up to suit him. He can only operate if given space. I'd love to be wrong.

I only saw the first half, and my impression of Brazil's front 4 was that if they played like that against similar quality opposition, they wouldn't get a kick. Elano was wandering all over the show, gave the ball away a lot as did Robinho and Kaka. Had it not been for Fabiano Brazil would have struggled to even have a shot last night.

In the PL the teams are much more closely matched to what Robinho will ever face for Brazil with the possible exception of the quarter finals onwards, thus he can be carried, do something great every now and again and be heralded a world beater. however if/when Brazil get to the quarters, I think they will come to a grinding halt on the basis that when you are evenly matched, you cannot have 3 of the supposed best players in the world swanning around, not contributing defensively, squandering posession etc.

I like Brazil's formation, so long as your attacking players and forwards are good enough and prepared to put in a shift and defend from the front in the PL. I can only really see Robinho being a distant 5th choice for any of the remaining Attacking Midfielder positions if we signed Toure and played in a Brazilian system with say Ade up front. You really couldnt play him ahead of AJ, MJ, Tevez, Bellamy, SWP, Ireland etc as it would just be too big a risk of him not turning up.

Sad to say it, but I dont see where he is going to fit in at City. I think we have moved on beyond him now.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:37 am

johnpb78 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:

I only saw the first half, and my impression of Brazil's front 4 was that if they played like that against similar quality opposition, they wouldn't get a kick. Elano was wandering all over the show, gave the ball away a lot as did Robinho and Kaka. Had it not been for Fabiano Brazil would have struggled to even have a shot last night.

In the PL the teams are much more closely matched to what Robinho will ever face for Brazil with the possible exception of the quarter finals onwards, thus he can be carried, do something great every now and again and be heralded a world beater. however if/when Brazil get to the quarters, I think they will come to a grinding halt on the basis that when you are evenly matched, you cannot have 3 of the supposed best players in the world swanning around, not contributing defensively, squandering posession etc.

I like Brazil's formation, so long as your attacking players and forwards are good enough and prepared to put in a shift and defend from the front in the PL. I can only really see Robinho being a distant 5th choice for any of the remaining Attacking Midfielder positions if we signed Toure and played in a Brazilian system with say Ade up front. You really couldnt play him ahead of AJ, MJ, Tevez, Bellamy, SWP, Ireland etc as it would just be too big a risk of him not turning up.

Sad to say it, but I dont see where he is going to fit in at City. I think we have moved on beyond him now.

Agree entirely but much as I dislike Robinho's personality, I would love to see a player with his abstract vision succeed at City. As you say though; it's unlikely to happen.

The great thing about yesterday's game for me was the way Yaya Toure took the piss out of Kaka & Co at 0-0. It's exactly what City need. Then later when he pushed forward, his beautifully weighted pass to Drogba was better than anything Brazil's much vaunted playmakers produced. If we land this bloke, he's a class above Barry & DeJong. Would walk into England's team.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:35 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:

So you would not play him ahead of a player coming back from almost a 2 year injury layoff (MJ) or the one who didn't show up this season (Ireland ) or the one who had a rather mediocre season and still doing the same at the WC (SWP) ??? The only two who would start ahead of Robbie in my book are Tevez and AJ on current form. Even Bellamy would be a maybe.
BTW where would you rank Elano in that midfield lineup.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby Slim » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:39 pm

Dubaimancityfan wrote:So you would not play him ahead of a player coming back from almost a 2 year injury layoff (MJ) or the one who didn't show up this season (Ireland ) or the one who had a rather mediocre season and still doing the same at the WC (SWP) ??? The only one who would start ahead of Robbie in my book is Tevez. Even Bellamy would be a maybe.

I believe Elano was nowhere near as good as people thought him to be at one stage, but neither as bad as people made him out to be when he left. I found it funny when looking back at goal highlights how many were down to an Elano pass somewhere in the buildup, and this was when he was considered complete and utter crap.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:49 pm

Slim wrote:
Dubaimancityfan wrote:So you would not play him ahead of a player coming back from almost a 2 year injury layoff (MJ) or the one who didn't show up this season (Ireland ) or the one who had a rather mediocre season and still doing the same at the WC (SWP) ??? The only one who would start ahead of Robbie in my book is Tevez. Even Bellamy would be a maybe.

I believe Elano was nowhere near as good as people thought him to be at one stage, but neither as bad as people made him out to be when he left. I found it funny when looking back at goal highlights how many were down to an Elano pass somewhere in the buildup, and this was when he was considered complete and utter crap.

The most sensible post I've read in this thread ! Cheers Slim.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:51 pm

Slim wrote:

not having a replacement for him, or in fact, the man himself, had as much to do about missing CL last season as Hughes infamous run of draws. No key to unlock the doors gets you stuck outside. The accolades Elano received as a City legend after about 6 matches always seemed silly, but a starving man overreacts to a meal in strange ways sometimes i would guess. Clearly, i'm not lacking for a meal. Altho, i am getting hungry for lunch.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Slim » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:22 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Slim wrote:

not having a replacement for him, or in fact, the man himself, had as much to do about missing CL last season as Hughes infamous run of draws. No key to unlock the doors gets you stuck outside. The accolades Elano received as a City legend after about 6 matches always seemed silly, but a starving man overreacts to a meal in strange ways sometimes i would guess. Clearly, i'm not lacking for a meal. Altho, i am getting hungry for lunch.

cheers

Just realised I haven't had tea and it's half 11 now, it's all this talking about the England team, makes me lose my appetite.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:32 pm

Elano's stats for assists were not especially good & most happened in short bursts. The same with his goals. When you consider he does fuck all else, his stats on both need to be seriously good in order to be worth a place.

Interesting that the 'failure' Ireland has 2 goals in 26 league games wheras the Brazillian football genius we're all missing has 3 in 25 IN TURKEY.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum