Adrian Mutu must pay Chelsea £14m after losing appeal

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Adrian Mutu must pay Chelsea £14m after losing appeal

Postby Vhero » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:08 pm

Former Chelsea striker Adrian Mutu has lost his final appeal in a five-year legal battle and must pay the club £14m in damages for breach of contract.

The Swiss Federal Court confirmed on Monday that they have upheld the decision made by Fifa and the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Mutu, 31- who now plays for Fiorentina - was sacked by the Blues in 2004 after testing positive for cocaine.

Romanian Mutu received a seven-month worldwide football ban.

The English Premier League club then set about suing him in order to recover the £15m they paid to sign him from Parma in 2003, which they now look largely set to achieve.

Switzerland's highest court issued the following statement: "The Swiss Federal Tribunal has rejected the appeal filed by Adrian Mutu against a sentence by Cas.

"The Cas had sentenced the professional Romanian footballer to paying a sum of more than 17 million euros to his previous employer, Chelsea Football Club Limited."

Last year, Cas upheld Fifa's ruling for a breach of contract - which Mutu described as "inhumane and unjust" when it was issued in 2008.

The compensation figure, based on lost earnings, was calculated on the length of time Mutu's Chelsea contract had left to run, and was the highest handed down by Fifa.

After serving his ban, Mutu joined Juventus in January 2005 and at the end of the following season he moved to his current side Fiorentina.

When Fifa announced its verdict in 2008, Chelsea welcomed it, calling it "a very significant decision for football".

The Blues have made no comment on the decision of the Swiss Federal Court.

Not really City news but I thought a few on here would like to know this.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Re: Adrian Mutu must pay Chelsea £14m after losing appeal

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:11 pm

Might be able to raise it if he sells his stash.

Allegedly.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Slim » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:01 pm

Most expensive coke habit EVER.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby HeyMark » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:16 pm

This might be a bit offensive/harsh/depressing but I can see this ending in suicide for Mutu. Thats one hell of a debt to be paying back
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Dameerto » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:34 pm

He'll work out some future earnings deal with them probably - they wont expect him to have it lying around. No doubt he will still be left with more per week than most people earn in a few years.

I don't want to see him do anything silly to himself but Im finding it hard to have much sympathy.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby edge275 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:57 pm

This is where we should come in and sign him up. I think he'd do the business for us I really rate Mutu.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:43 am

edge275 wrote:This is where we should come in and sign him up. I think he'd do the business for us I really rate Mutu.

i'd rather we just pay his debt to Chelsea rather than sign him if i had to choose between those two options.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby ronk » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:34 am

Right so, he fails to make the payment and he loses his registration and is forced to retire at 31 while out long term anyway.

Or is there some other avenue Chelsea have to actually get some money.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:44 am

ronk wrote:Right so, he fails to make the payment and he loses his registration and is forced to retire at 31 while out long term anyway.

Or is there some other avenue Chelsea have to actually get some money.

my guess is he settles for about 1/3 of the fine and gets some installment payments. That's the only sensible thing for Chelsea to push for.

Sad all the way around really...what a fucknut he was/is.

Related, is Jo high on blow?

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby avoidconfusion » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:51 am

Not feeling one bit sorry for him.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion