Gourcuff

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Gourcuff

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:19 am

Ted Hughes wrote:Don't care if he's gay or straight & don't even want to know but got my doubts about him as a PL footballer.

I'm not 100% sure he will be superstar either but we do need creative attacking midfielder who has got real talent and potential. As far as I can see, there are no surefire options realistically available to us so some degree of chance has to be taken no matter what. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have Fabregas as well but that simply isn't going to happen. Ozil is good option as well as mentioned here on the back of his great season and performance in First game of the World Club, however I would rate him as big risk as Gourcuff.

Good thing is that we haven't been linked to hasbeen's like Ronaldinho this summer so far.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:03 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Don't care if he's gay or straight & don't even want to know but got my doubts about him as a PL footballer.

I'm not 100% sure he will be superstar either but we do need creative attacking midfielder who has got real talent and potential. As far as I can see, there are no surefire options realistically available to us so some degree of chance has to be taken no matter what. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have Fabregas as well but that simply isn't going to happen. Ozil is good option as well as mentioned here on the back of his great season and performance in First game of the World Club, however I would rate him as big risk as Gourcuff.

Good thing is that we haven't been linked to hasbeen's like Ronaldinho this summer so far.

what about that little Dutch kid Elia? dunno much about him but he's looked tasty to me. is he a winger tho maybe? Or does he play in the hole? both maybe.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby kinkylola » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:21 am

pretty sure he's an out and out wide man, left sided as well. If mancini got him it would mean playing johnson on the right all the time and I just don't think that's the right thing to do. (eljia that is)
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Slim » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:47 am

kinkylola wrote:pretty sure he's an out and out wide man, left sided as well. If mancini got him it would mean playing johnson on the right all the time and I just don't think that's the right thing to do. (eljia that is)

Why? Elia is right footed and plays on both sides, I think he has been more effective when playing on the right as he doesn't know what his left foot is for, and when playing on the left it consists of running inside the channel and cutbacks.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby kinkylola » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:44 am

ah well, my mistake then.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:54 am

gourcuff is poop, why wont people listen to me, I do not want him anywhere near my team.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby The Man In Blue » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:10 am

Wonderwall wrote:gourcuff is poop, why wont people listen to me, I do not want him anywhere near my team.

he sounds like trouble.

i want more dedicated hardworking pros in the mould of NDJ p-lease, not shrinking violets/egotistical troublemakers.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:19 am

The Man In Blue wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:gourcuff is poop, why wont people listen to me, I do not want him anywhere near my team.

he sounds like trouble.

i want more dedicated hardworking pros in the mould of NDJ p-lease, not shrinking violets/egotistical troublemakers.

Problem is, there's only so far you can go with seriously limited players like De Jong. No matter how hard they work. In fact, think we have already reached upper echelon of his limits.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby The Man In Blue » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:28 am

The Man In Blue wrote:

he sounds like trouble.

Problem is, there's only so far you can go with seriously limited players like De Jong. No matter how hard they work. In fact, think we have already reached upper echelon of his limits.

whilst i don't agree with your assessment, that is for another thread mate. what i was referring to was his attitude. a real team player to the core, committed to the blue cause. i can't be arsed with more robinho-esque pussies who whinge to the press, cause problems in the dressing room and just generally behave like spoilt twats. obviously i'm not certain Gourcuff is like that, but i'd rather not take the chance.
The Man In Blue

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:33 am

The Man In Blue wrote:

he sounds like trouble.

With the selections Mancini made last season & the players we're linked to now, I'm wondering if he's got in mind a similar kind of system to Brazil with 2 out & out holding midfielders & attacking fullbacks. In which case that would mainly be De Jong/Barry & Yaya Toure with any combination of about 10 choices in front of them perhaps also using Barry in front in big away games. I thought it was the system Hughes was aiming for but then he suddenly went 4-4-2 possibly because our fullbacks are average. Will need 2 new ones if it's to work but it would give the Silva's/Gourcuff's even Robinho's of the world extra protection & let them do their own thing.

Also, could Barry be used as a left back in some games? Mancini moved him there quite a few times.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:50 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
The Man In Blue wrote:

he sounds like trouble.

With the selections Mancini made last season & the players we're linked to now, I'm wondering if he's got in mind a similar kind of system to Brazil with 2 out & out holding midfielders & attacking fullbacks. In which case that would mainly be De Jong/Barry & Yaya Toure with any combination of about 10 choices in front of them perhaps also using Barry in front in big away games. I thought it was the system Hughes was aiming for but then he suddenly went 4-4-2 possibly because our fullbacks are average. Will need 2 new ones if it's to work but it would give the Silva's/Gourcuff's even Robinho's of the world extra protection & let them do their own thing.

Also, could Barry be used as a left back in some games? Mancini moved him there quite a few times.

I'd really like Barry as leftback. In fact, and some people will call me crazy, but it's his best position (although as defensive midfielder he is quality as well but I feel he could have been world class left back). However Barry categorically said even when he was in Villa that he sees himself as midfielder. He'll help them team out if needs be but will only play regularily in midfield. SO I think that's out of the question.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:01 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
The Man In Blue wrote:

he sounds like trouble.

I'd really like Barry as leftback. In fact, and some people will call me crazy, but it's his best position (although as defensive midfielder he is quality as well but I feel he could have been world class left back). However Barry categorically said even when he was in Villa that he sees himself as midfielder. He'll help them team out if needs be but will only play regularily in midfield. SO I think that's out of the question.

You're probably right but I recon Mancini's considered it. I don't think Bridge has been anywhere near good enough going forward & I recon we need someone with a much better attacking game in both fullback positions if I'm right about Mancini's intentions. I think Hughes was expecting Bridge & Zabba to be better than they are attack wise & it's the biggest part of his plan that fucked up. Mancini will have to do something else if we can't replace them with the required quality .

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby The Man In Blue » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:11 am

didn't Scolari try the same thing (attacking full-backs, defensive centre mids) with Chel-see-uh?
The Man In Blue

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:20 am

The Man In Blue wrote:didn't Scolari try the same thing (attacking full-backs, defensive centre mids) with Chel-see-uh?

Not sure what the fuck Scolari was trying to do! I recon he just told them to 'spread out'. An Italian organising it rather than a vastly overrated & fortunate Brazilian would look somewhat different imo.

I don't think tbh that Toure or Barry would be expected to sit there for 90 mins next to DeJong, just that it would be their responsibility to make sure they were in position to cover when others inc fullbacks went forward. It's what Hughes tried to do but Bridge kept suddenly hairing forward at the wrong times & leaving a gap which the oppo took advantage of.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:40 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:I'd really like Barry as leftback. In fact, and some people will call me crazy, but it's his best position (although as defensive midfielder he is quality as well but I feel he could have been world class left back). However Barry categorically said even when he was in Villa that he sees himself as midfielder. He'll help them team out if needs be but will only play regularily in midfield. SO I think that's out of the question.

Your crazy, no, really crazy. Gareth Barry against Aaron lennon on the 1st game of the season... almost as big a mismatch as sylvinho against lennon last season. Barry is way too slow to play left back, it would kill us.
Wonderwall

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:50 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:I'd really like Barry as leftback. In fact, and some people will call me crazy, but it's his best position (although as defensive midfielder he is quality as well but I feel he could have been world class left back). However Barry categorically said even when he was in Villa that he sees himself as midfielder. He'll help them team out if needs be but will only play regularily in midfield. SO I think that's out of the question.

Your crazy, no, really crazy. Gareth Barry against Aaron lennon on the 1st game of the season... almost as big a mismatch as sylvinho against lennon last season. Barry is way too slow to play left back, it would kill us.

Like I said, some people will call me crazy.

On a sidenote, Lennon is easy to defend against. Just make sure that he can't cut in or get a shot at goal and he'll usually run out of the touchline with the ball. You don't need to keep up with him, just cover the goal basically.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Slim » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:52 am

Wonderwall wrote:why wont people listen to me.

It's the french accent.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:19 am

Wonderwall wrote:

On a sidenote, Lennon is easy to defend against. Just make sure that he can't cut in or get a shot at goal and he'll usually run out of the touchline with the ball. You don't need to keep up with him, just cover the goal basically.

thats when he is running with the ball, but when you have modric in midfield passing it over the top or sliding a pass behind the defence, I know who my money would be on in a race to get to the ball first.

If lennon is easy to defend against, why is he ripping defences apart week in week out.
Wonderwall

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:23 am

Based on his performance in the first France match, I would agree. he was clueless ! But I have seen him do better in other France matches and I hear he's had a great domestic season although I don't follow French football so I wouldn't know. I would love to have Ozil though.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:27 am

Wonderwall wrote:

True but no fullback in the modern game will keep a fast winger at bay for 90 mins on his own though, none of them are good enough, you need Tony Book or Glyn Pardoe for that job! Now they rely on having help from other players, like Neville did v Craig Bellamy. Most of them are also thick as shit but Barry although lacking pace, at least has a decent football brain.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum