Gourcuff

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Gourcuff

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:33 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:I'd really like Barry as leftback. In fact, and some people will call me crazy, but it's his best position (although as defensive midfielder he is quality as well but I feel he could have been world class left back). However Barry categorically said even when he was in Villa that he sees himself as midfielder. He'll help them team out if needs be but will only play regularily in midfield. SO I think that's out of the question.

Your crazy, no, really crazy. Gareth Barry against Aaron lennon on the 1st game of the season... almost as big a mismatch as sylvinho against lennon last season. Barry is way too slow to play left back, it would kill us.

Like I said, some people will call me crazy.

On a sidenote, Lennon is easy to defend against. Just make sure that he can't cut in or get a shot at goal and he'll usually run out of the touchline with the ball. You don't need to keep up with him, just cover the goal basically.

thats when he is running with the ball, but when you have modric in midfield passing it over the top or sliding a pass behind the defence, I know who my money would be on in a race to get to the ball first.

If lennon is easy to defend against, why is he ripping defences apart week in week out.

Thing is, he isn't. Not the good ones. Sure he can be great against Hull or Wigan in his day but rarely if ever delivers in big games (ie best defences). When was the last time he scored fior England for example? As one dimensional player I ever saw. Even more so than Michael Owen. He is one knee injury away from being in Burnley. At 26 or 27 will be finished, injuries or not. Epitomises the words "headless chicken".
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:46 am

When Lennon ripped Sylvinho apart we had yet another new untried CB pairing who were all over the place, Robinho & Adebayor strolling around doing fk all up front & Ireland doing his Ged Brannen impersonation. Sylvinho got no cover whatsoever as only half our team turned up.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby dazlebluefrog » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:29 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
gourcuff is poop, why wont people listen to me, I do not want him anywhere near my team.[b]
[/b]

FFS HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU LOT NEED TELLING FROM PEOPLE WHO LIVE OR LIVED OVER HERE AND WATCHED GOURCUFF ?
NON NON NON NON NON NON NON NON NON NON ET PUTAIN NON MERCI
HE IS NOT A PREM PLAYER
merci et vive l'algerie only joking about thoses arab tw-ts
dazlebluefrog
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Grenoble fc38

Postby xavi6 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:39 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:I'd really like Barry as leftback. In fact, and some people will call me crazy, but it's his best position (although as defensive midfielder he is quality as well but I feel he could have been world class left back). However Barry categorically said even when he was in Villa that he sees himself as midfielder. He'll help them team out if needs be but will only play regularily in midfield. SO I think that's out of the question.

Your crazy, no, really crazy. Gareth Barry against Aaron lennon on the 1st game of the season... almost as big a mismatch as sylvinho against lennon last season. Barry is way too slow to play left back, it would kill us.

On a sidenote, Lennon is easy to defend against. Just make sure that he can't cut in or get a shot at goal and he'll usually run out of the touchline with the ball. You don't need to keep up with him, just cover the goal basically.

I disagree.

The best way to defend against Lennon is to show him inside. He is at his most effective when running directly down the wing. Cut off his path and he has no choice but to go inside. His left foot is so bad it's beyond funny and you can actually see him looking for ways around using it. All he's left with is a shocking left footed cross or a simple ball inside, neither of which is effective.

Belhadj showed exactly how it's done last night by defending in that exact fashion.

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Zab

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:14 pm

xavi6 wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

I disagree.

The best way to defend against Lennon is to show him inside. He is at his most effective when running directly down the wing. Cut off his path and he has no choice but to go inside. His left foot is so bad it's beyond funny and you can actually see him looking for ways around using it. All he's left with is a shocking left footed cross or a simple ball inside, neither of which is effective.

Belhadj showed exactly how it's done last night by defending in that exact fashion.

point is, he is shit at crossing. If you let him in the box and let him run towards the goal, he can be dangerous. If he crosses near the corner flag the ball always sails out. Or more often, he can't cross and just runs out of touchline. Lennon is at his most dangerous when there's space behind the fullback to run to.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Blueishgreen » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:01 pm

Bags of skill but very raw. Maybe in a few years.
Blueishgreen
Joey Barton's Twitter Account

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Tevez

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum