The National Anthem

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The National Anthem

Postby ZonaZooBlu » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:31 pm

ryanmjo wrote:I don't think it's just an England problem though, a lot of the countries I've seen so far only have half the players singing.

...and wait for Spain on wednesday, none of them will even attempt to sing a word...
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking.
ZonaZooBlu
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Blue2 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:52 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:It doesnt help that it's a dirge anthem that has a funeral march feel about it.

Compare it to the American, French or Italian national anthems. Even I find myself singing along.

Spot, an absolutely shite national anthem that is not even ours alone, we have to share it with Ireland, Scotland & Wales. Bout time it was changed.
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby SORTED » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:10 pm

btajim wrote:
SORTED wrote:On the whole only pearly dancing southerners and upper middle class bastards sing the National Anthem. It ain't the done 'new working class' thang mate.

You're Middle Class. Evidently.

It wouldn't surprise me if half of those Players don't even know the words.

Don't be fooled by the nice house in Suburbia, the £25-£30k salary (when I'm well enough to work). I am working class through and through. Fuck all these new namby pamby classifications!
SORTED
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Scorchio » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:48 pm

The French had the right idea about royalty. "Our" anthem is all about the Queen, who gives a flying fuck about her. The national anthem needs to be changed.
Scorchio
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Lev Bronstein » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:06 pm

When you think about it, it's a funny old song. It's not about the land, its history or it's people. The subject is the monarch. When it was written, 1745, the Jacobite rebellion was in full swing, it was an anthem for the nice protestant Hanoverians. Many more legitimate claiments were passed over before the krauts were picked. What the hell the anthem has to do with you me and the here and now is beyond me.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby SORTED » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:08 pm

Scorchio wrote:The French had the right idea about royalty. "Our" anthem is all about the Queen, who gives a flying fuck about her. The national anthem needs to be changed.

Exfuckingactly.

[youtube]RKpMqey0RcE&feature=related[/youtube]
SORTED

Postby john68 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:16 am

I was well impressed by the manner that both the Italians and the Paraguayans sang their national anthems, with pride and spirit.
It must be harder for them, they have to sing theirs in foreign languages.

Rooney, Gerard and Carragher should be excused...Unless they studied English as a 2nd language at school...if they ever went.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Bear60 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:24 am

Why do ENGLAND always play the British National Anthem before any sporting event , this really pisses me off and has done for years. This should be the England National Anthem maybe if it was they would sing along with it.
[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/podh1wht9RY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/podh1wht9RY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Lev Bronstein » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:45 am

I'm no great nationalist, but I always found Jerusalem quite stirring. A song you can realy belt out.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:03 am

Bear60 wrote:Why do ENGLAND always play the British National Anthem before any sporting event , this really pisses me off and has done for years. This should be the England National Anthem maybe if it was they would sing along with it.

Because we have to, we love our northern and western cousins and the moment they actually qualify for something we can stop trying to include them.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Crossie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:00 am

I think it says alot about the passion modern footballers have. They mostly think they are untouchable, that the law doesnt apply to them, most have few morals, i.e Terry, Cole, various money grabbers.

Why is it that the England Rugby team sing there throats off, and show some fucking passion for god knows what percent less wages, but the footballers, cant even mime the Anthem?

If you win 4-0, it doesnt really matter, but when you put out abit of a wet fish performance, things like this piss me off
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby SORTED » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:16 am

Crossie wrote:I think it says alot about the passion modern footballers have. They mostly think they are untouchable, that the law doesnt apply to them, most have few morals, i.e Terry, Cole, various money grabbers.

Why is it that the England Rugby team sing there throats off, and show some fucking passion for god knows what percent less wages, but the footballers, cant even mime the Anthem?

If you win 4-0, it doesnt really matter, but when you put out abit of a wet fish performance, things like this piss me off

Because it's a class thing and more often than not they're stuck up upper middle class twatocks.

Q/ How many manual workers or skilled tradesmen do you think attend last night of the proms?

A/ Probably none... for exactly the same reason as listed above.
SORTED

Postby Patrick » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:57 am

To me its not about class or nationalism and its certainly not the time to make a point - the crowd prove that

Its about a truly patriotic event - and if you take any sort of pride in wearing the England shirt in front of the world you should sing your spoilt little heart out
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby Chinners » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:06 am

What the frenchie said
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:45 am

Patrick wrote:To me its not about class or nationalism and its certainly not the time to make a point - the crowd prove that

Its about a truly patriotic event - and if you take any sort of pride in wearing the England shirt in front of the world you should sing your spoilt little heart out

One slight change. Otherwise top.

If you take any sort of pride in wearing the England shirt in front of the world you should play your spoilt little heart out.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Dazzacity » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:59 am

Maybe many of the players are like many of us- they want an ENGLISH anthem and dont sing the British one out of protest??
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:02 pm

It IS overwhelmingly a rag trait - the whole fucking portgual team proper belted it out, except for guess who - yes their captain setting a fine example, being the only player in the squad, the bench and the management who couldnt find it within themselves to sing.

I'd be furious if I was portugese
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Slim » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:08 pm

johnpb78 wrote:It IS overwhelmingly a rag trait - the whole fucking portgual team proper belted it out, except for guess who - yes their captain setting a fine example, being the only player in the squad, the bench and the management who couldnt find it within themselves to sing.

I'd be furious if I was portugese

I'd be furious if you were Portuguese as well, for one, not being able to spell Portuguese.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby dick dastardley » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:53 am

check out these guys on how to sing and cry while having their anthem played!!!

[youtube]3yK5Db-OFCk[/youtube]
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby sandman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:08 am

SORTED wrote:Because it's a class thing and more often than not they're stuck up upper middle class twatocks.

Q/ How many manual workers or skilled tradesmen do you think attend last night of the proms?

A/ Probably none... for exactly the same reason as listed above.

The difference is that Rugby hasnt been tainted with spoilt little rich boys who are given too much too young and who for the most part care not for their fans, not for their clubs or their countries but just for themselves and money.

I think you'll find the "upper middle class twatocks" are far more down to earth and level headed than the overpaid, underworked degenerates that play professional football.
sandman

Supporter of: City

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum