The National Anthem

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The National Anthem

Postby Patrick » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:05 am

I have to admit I thought it disappointing watching the team at the weekend make a half arsed attempt at the national anthem

Im not making a nationalistic point here but when you get a cap for England, youre playing the first world cup match of the tournament and the English support are singing their nuts off - is it too much to ask that for 90 seconds you can actually look like you know the words and can be bothered to look a little proud and up for it
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Re: The National Anthem

Postby Slim » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:11 am

Did it not bother you that during every national anthem, the vuvezelas can still be heard blaring away?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Patrick » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:18 am

I hate vuve fucking zelas - how on earth do you get a good song going in the stands?
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby CityGer » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:29 am

Agreed. Most other nations put us to shame on this front. Compare to the rugby players against the Auzzies on Sarurday who belted it out to a man.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby sandman » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:40 am

Its a disgrace, they're terrible role models.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby ross.mcfc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:43 am

It doesnt help that it's a dirge anthem that has a funeral march feel about it.

Compare it to the American, French or Italian national anthems. Even I find myself singing along.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Dazzacity » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:58 am

I actually think that fan wise we have wiped the floor with everyother nation. Flags everywhere and so far we are the only ones that can be heard over those horns . It does really piss me off how the fans can do it but the players cant. You see them standin there on mute and straight away you see a 'team' that has no fight in them..
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby CityGer » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:02 am

Dazzacity wrote:I actually think that fan wise we have wiped the floor with everyother nation. Flags everywhere and so far we are the only ones that can be heard over those horns . It does really piss me off how the fans can do it but the players cant. You see them standin there on mute and straight away you see a 'team' that has no fight in them..

Agree with that. The various fans associations involved with England have done a tremendous job over the last few years. They've gone from being a national embarrassment to a group we can be proud of.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby Chinners » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:03 am

It used to be just the Man U players that didn't sing the National Anthem (St. Divy Spice being the exception) but now it seem contagious amongst the other players. I think it should be made compulsory for players to learn and sing it before even being called up to the England set-up
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Chinners » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:03 am

It used to be just the Man U players that didn't sing the National Anthem (St. Divy Spice being the exception) but now it seems the norm amongst the other players. I think it should be made compulsory for players to learn and sing it before even being called up to the England set-up
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby SORTED » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:14 am

On the whole only pearly dancing southerners and upper middle class bastards sing the National Anthem. It ain't the done 'new working class' thang mate.
SORTED
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby sweenyuk » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:14 am

whilst we have a manager that doesn't even speak the queens english I don't hold out much hope for this changing anytime soon. Personally though I think it is time we came up with a new anthem. God save the queen is so outdated as very few brits follow the royals these days and it is also the anthem of GB not England. Maybe that Ukulele busker could write us something suitable
sweenyuk
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:35 am

sweenyuk wrote:whilst we have a manager that doesn't even speak the queens english I don't hold out much hope for this changing anytime soon. Personally though I think it is time we came up with a new anthem. God save the queen is so outdated as very few brits follow the royals these days and it is also the anthem of GB not England. Maybe that Ukulele busker could write us something suitable

We should use this.

[youtube]4ZXPP7qMSz4&[/youtube]
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:39 am

lets all have a disco wrote:
sweenyuk wrote:whilst we have a manager that doesn't even speak the queens english I don't hold out much hope for this changing anytime soon. Personally though I think it is time we came up with a new anthem. God save the queen is so outdated as very few brits follow the royals these days and it is also the anthem of GB not England. Maybe that Ukulele busker could write us something suitable

We should use this.

That video (and song) makes me want to move out of Helsinki.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:54 am

lets all have a disco wrote:

We should use this.

Top tune, I was at the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth games, when they had all the lazers going to the music inside COMS, it was fucking awesome and the atmosphere was proper buzzing. Wish I could find the clip, have been looking for it for months on youtube
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby btajim » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:40 pm

SORTED wrote:On the whole only pearly dancing southerners and upper middle class bastards sing the National Anthem. It ain't the done 'new working class' thang mate.

You're Middle Class. Evidently.

It wouldn't surprise me if half of those Players don't even know the words.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby ryanmjo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:56 pm

I don't think it's just an England problem though, a lot of the countries I've seen so far only have half the players singing.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby city72 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:55 pm

Its a shame we dont have an English national anthem only a UK one. :-

England currently has no agreed national anthem, with "God Save the Queen", the national anthem of the United Kingdom, often being used in sporting events in which England competes separately from the other Home Nations. There are calls for this to be changed,however, and a 2006 survey conducted by the BBC suggested that 55% of the English public would rather have "Land of Hope and Glory" than "God Save the Queen" as their national anthem
city72
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester city

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:22 pm

city72 wrote:Its a shame we dont have an English national anthem only a UK one. :-

England currently has no agreed national anthem, with "God Save the Queen", the national anthem of the U***d Kingdom, often being used in sporting events in which England competes separately from the other Home Nations. There are calls for this to be changed,however, and a 2006 survey conducted by the BBC suggested that 55% of the English public would rather have "Land of Hope and Glory" than "God Save the Queen" as their national anthem

I vote for the sex pistols version of God Save the Queen
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:30 pm

Half these players could'nt sing a fucking simple nursery Ryhme..........Id fine them a weeks wage's if they did'nt sing the anthem.

Thery should be made to watch the English rugby guy's when the anthems are being played.........maybe watch and fucking learn.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum