The National Anthem

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The National Anthem

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:31 am

Tony Adams was the man - he used to belt it out and make those around him - except the Fergie contingent of course - sing too. Pretty sure he wasn't upper class though!

Always bugged me how SCUM players have always been allowed to just scowl their way through it, even when the rest of the team is singing. Drop the cunts I say.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby DCA » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:59 pm

ZonaZooBlu wrote:
ryanmjo wrote:I don't think it's just an England problem though, a lot of the countries I've seen so far only have half the players singing.

...and wait for Spain on wednesday, none of them will even attempt to sing a word...

that's probably because there aren't any words in their national anthem.
DCA
Nedum Onuoha's A-levels

My favourite player is: Spanish Dave

Postby ZonaZooBlu » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:11 pm

DCA wrote:
ZonaZooBlu wrote:
ryanmjo wrote:I don't think it's just an England problem though, a lot of the countries I've seen so far only have half the players singing.

...and wait for Spain on wednesday, none of them will even attempt to sing a word...

..took awhile but finally got there in the end..

;-)
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking.
ZonaZooBlu
De Jong's Tackle

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:50 pm

When it comes to evoking a bit of Englishness the national anthem should be "Jerusalem." Stirring tune, great words by William Blake. But it's harder to sing than GSRQ (there's that bit in the middle where you have to keep quiet while the band or the organ or whatever does the interlude) so it's not going to be sung any better than GSTQ is now.
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Postby DCA » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:20 pm

ZonaZooBlu wrote:
DCA wrote:
ZonaZooBlu wrote:

..took awhile but finally got there in the end..

;-)

what can i say? i lag...
DCA
Nedum Onuoha's A-levels

My favourite player is: Spanish Dave

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:52 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:Half these players could'nt sing a fucking simple nursery Ryhme..........Id fine them a weeks wage's if they did'nt sing the anthem.

Thery should be made to watch the English rugby guy's when the anthems are being played.........maybe watch and fucking learn.

i wouldn't sing the anthem of any country i played for if i was a mack daddy player on some national team in any sport. I'd be focused in my own head getting ready to destroy some shit. Can't believe you pussies are complaining about fuclin singing. I can be as appropriately nationalistic as anyone when it comes to pride in my country, but this just doesn't register with me. Plus you look like a plonker when you forget a word like some sped because the camera flashing by you distracts you, and then Jim thinks you don't know the words and are/aren't middle class/working class/rural poor enough, etc. Then Carl gets mad at you when you fucl up and says you have no pride, broken britain, etc...better to keep it shut and focus on how you want to crush some fucler. that's how i'd roll.

cheers

EDIT: plus all those tough Rugby guys are so into it because they are just thinking of all the tight-short/ass-grabbing they are about to embark upon, and all locker room hijinx they are getting up to post-match. Who wouldn't be motivated by that?
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:57 am

dick dastardley wrote:check out these guys on how to sing and cry while having their anthem played!!!

[youtube]3yK5Db-OFCk[/youtube]

i was really moved by this. it was really heartfelt. Mostly because i felt like they were prisoners, but still. Raw, raw emotion you cannot deny. They put up an awesome fight too...hats off to them.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Nickyboy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:28 pm

Evra just sang louder than all the other frogs, and cried. Blows our theory out the water!
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:18 pm

Nickyboy wrote:Evra just sang louder than all the other frogs, and cried. Blows our theory out the water!

He was just imagining losing to Mexico. Sorted.
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:22 pm

Nickyboy wrote:Evra just sang louder than all the other frogs, and cried. Blows our theory out the water!

He was just imagining losing to Mexico. Sorted.
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:47 pm

Perhaps, like most fans, they feel no deep connection to their country
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:03 pm

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:Perhaps, like most fans, they feel no deep connection to their country

Broken lookmum.

Sad.

Cheers.
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum