** Krauts vs Aussies: Official Match Thread ** [merged]

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ** Krauts vs Aussies: Official Match Thread ** [merged]

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:21 pm

ryanmjo wrote:I've had enough with all these puns! I'm Klose to punching something I'm so upset.

viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby fangsanalsatan » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:29 pm

Sorry to say this NQDP, but you don't seem to understand the concept of shifting. If one fullback goes forward, the other one stays back to form a back 3. You can't blame Lahm for getting cover by a centre back whose job is to cover the fullback.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby dazby » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:59 am

Completely outclassed.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Esky » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:27 am

dazby wrote:Completely outclassed.

Yep - they've been the best team in it so far by a long, long way.

The referee didn't help things - we should've had a penalty when Mertesacker handled in the box. How Cahill also got a straight red I'll never know. We were outplayed but the ref was shite and ruined any possibility of a contest.

Verbeek also deserves a lot of criticism for whatever that formation was meant to be.
Last edited by Esky on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Esky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:43 am

fangsanalsatan wrote:Sorry to say this NQDP, but you don't seem to understand the concept of shifting. If one fullback goes forward, the other one stays back to form a back 3. You can't blame Lahm for getting cover by a centre back whose job is to cover the fullback.

but they weren't. There was acres of space to play the ball into all the time. Just like there is when he plays for Bayern. He is also consistently shite for Bayern by the way. Makes numerous of mistakes every game. He makes Bridge look super solid.

If Lahm would play for us people would quickly learn to hate him. I can assure that. It's easy to call him great when people rely on Youtube but seeing him regularily exposes his horrible weaknessess.

He'd make one of the better wingers in the world though. I don't understand these players who insist on playing in certain position when they clearly are made for another.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Slim » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 am

And thoroughly depressing.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:16 am

Slim wrote:

I don't know. Despite the numbers, I thought Australia played relatively well and if they can keep up, they will get some results. Germany just simply were out of this world.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Slim » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:32 am

Unfortunately we will have to get results now with Cahill and while we had some play at the start of both halves, it was short lived and just seemed to help wake the Germans up.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby CityGer » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:36 am

The Germans were clinical in the last thrid. They opened the Auzzies up with ease.

That Ref shouldn't get another game in the tourney. The seding off was up there with the softest I've seen.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:42 am

CityGer wrote:The Germans were clinical in the last thrid. They opened the Auzzies up with ease.

That Ref shouldn't get another game in the tourney. The seding off was up there with the softest I've seen.

Honestly, I wouldn't have given yellow for that.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:17 am

I know it's only the 1st game but I was quite shocked at how dodgy the Aussies were. Not seen them for a while & almost the whole team looked past it & a yard short. Time to start again & build a new one I recon.

Germans played some very nice football but were allowed time & space to do it & looked potentially full of holes defensively (as did Argentina btw). Much bigger more realistic tests to come for both of them.

Ozil is currently a better player than Gourcuff, DeMaria & probably Silva too imo & I recon he's the best of those we've been linked with. Still can't be sure he'd do it in the PL but the same can be said of all the others. If we need that kind of player I'd go for him 1st.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby simon12 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:48 am

Ozil was a class act however he was caught offside a fair few times
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby ant london » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:49 am

Ted Hughes wrote:Ozil is currently a better player than Gourcuff, DeMaria & probably Silva too imo & I recon he's the best of those we've been linked with. Still can't be sure he'd do it in the PL but the same can be said of all the others. If we need that kind of player I'd go for him 1st.

He looked tasty didn't he

Interesting to see how Elia looks for the Netherlands today....he looked fantastic in the warm-up friendly I saw vs Hungary...specifically when he did this...

[youtube]B_Vk71cxGI0[/youtube]

Fuck it, we should have just bought SV Hamburg a few years ago!!
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:55 am

Ted Hughes wrote:I know it's only the 1st game but I was quite shocked at how dodgy the Aussies were. Not seen them for a while & almost the whole team looked past it & a yard short. Time to start again & build a new one I recon.

Germans played some very nice football but were allowed time & space to do it & looked potentially full of holes defensively (as did Argentina btw). Much bigger more realistic tests to come for both of them.

Ozil is currently a better player than Gourcuff, DeMaria & probably Silva too imo & I recon he's the best of those we've been linked with. Still can't be sure he'd do it in the PL but the same can be said of all the others. If we need that kind of player I'd go for him 1st.

Ozil has been class all season but this was his real breakthrough season and it remains to be seen whether he can keep it going. Silva is easily the best player out of those but it's debatable how his game would transform into physical nature of Premier League. Gourcouff is the most classical central playmaker out of those. Di Maria is out and out winger and I have my suspicions about him. Portuguese league is fucking soft touch and it's easy for skillfull players to shine there. Still, he has hardly made new goalscoring records even there.

Personally I think Silva is best used as either winger or second striker. I don't think he could cope as central midfielder in England. So basically Ozil and Gourcouff for me are the ones we should be looking for.

Generally though, people shouldn't draw too big of a conclusions from couple of games in World Cup. Either way.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Abu Dhabi » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:21 am

I actually thought the ref was lenient with the Aussies. Its like they were there just to slaughter the Germans. Cahil deserved a booking just a minute before the sending off.
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby Slim » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:48 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote: Di Maria is out and out winger and I have my suspicions about him. Portuguese league is fucking soft touch and it's easy for skillfull players to shine there. Still, he has hardly made new goalscoring records even there.

And if he didn't need his right leg to stand on, he'd only need to buy boots one at a time.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:17 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:I know it's only the 1st game but I was quite shocked at how dodgy the Aussies were. Not seen them for a while & almost the whole team looked past it & a yard short. Time to start again & build a new one I recon.

Ozil has been class all season but this was his real breakthrough season and it remains to be seen whether he can keep it going. Silva is easily the best player out of those but it's debatable how his game would transform into physical nature of Premier League. Gourcouff is the most classical central playmaker out of those. Di Maria is out and out winger and I have my suspicions about him. Portuguese league is fucking soft touch and it's easy for skillfull players to shine there. Still, he has hardly made new goalscoring records even there.

Personally I think Silva is best used as either winger or second striker. I don't think he could cope as central midfielder in England. So basically Ozil and Gourcouff for me are the ones we should be looking for.

Generally though, people shouldn't draw too big of a conclusions from couple of games in World Cup. Either way.

I'm not. If you go back a few weeks to when we were 1st linked with Ozil & some people were underwhelmed I was telling people then that I thought he was a great talent. I've had an eye on him since he 1st appeared & I think he can do anything Silva can do & does it in a more physical league. None of them are a sure bet for the PL though. Signing any 'playmaker' types is a gamble in our league. One may be a brilliant success & another a complete failure, it's just a gamble with players of that kind & personally I'm not sure we need one, we should just learn to cross the ball properly.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:21 am

Ted Hughes wrote:

I'm not. If you go back a few weeks to when we were 1st linked with Ozil & some people were underwhelmed I was telling people then that I thought he was a great talent. I've had an eye on him since he 1st appeared & I think he can do anything Silva can do & does it in a more physical league. None of them are a sure bet for the PL though. Signing any 'playmaker' types is a gamble in our league. One may be a brilliant success & another a complete failure, it's just a gamble with players of that kind & personally I'm not sure we need one, we should just learn to cross the ball properly.

Just to make it clear, I wasn't having a go at you or anyone else. Just made the notion that one or two good or bad games don't make anyone good or bad player.

I fully 100% agree with you regarding buying playmaker to Premier League. It's the hardest position to find a quality player to and whoever we sign will be a huge gamble. Unfortunately it's just the risk we have to take as we are crying out for quality playmaker in my opinion. That is unless we really go for two holding midfielders and overlapping fullbacks. Which I sincerely hope will not be the case as I hate that system and don't know single succesfull side who uses it.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Knappe » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:05 am

Diego was fantastic at SV Werder, but didn´t make it in Italy. You ´ll never know with these playmakers. Still Özil´s problem: he doesn´t score after some brillant runs
Die Nummer 1 im Pott sind wir
Knappe
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Schalke04

Postby The Foggy Blue » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:29 am

Slim wrote:

I don't know. Despite the numbers, I thought Australia played relatively well and if they can keep up, they will get some results. Germany just simply were out of this world.

They looked pretty crap to me to be honest/ They kept trying to play offside but were caught out easily every time. The Cahill incident wasn't a red, but it did look like a yellow to me (two fouls in the one move). Australia were getting frustrated at that stage anyway so were resorting to fouling. Bookings/sendings off were bound to happen sooner or later.

Oh and Ozil is a class act NOW. He doesn't need another season to prove it to me or anyone else.
The Foggy Blue
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum